Good protein bars?

Options
So I need around 57 grams of protein per day with the workout I'm doing and I can barely reach 25. I would like to get powder but see there are some bars. When I look at these bars they filled with weird ingredients and stuff. Any good protein bars that are healthy and really only have protein?

Replies

• successgal1
    successgal1 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    Don't you eat meat, eggs or seafood? Most bars are filled with crap and loaded with sugar.
  • NarwhalofNight
    NarwhalofNight Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Don't you eat meat, eggs or seafood? Most bars are filled with crap and loaded with sugar.

I only eat a slice or 3 of ham in the morning.

• xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    Are you vegetarian or vegan? If yes, the following won't apply to you: eat more meat. I eat just plain food (no bars or shakes most days) and get over 150 grams of protein a day. If you eat a chicken breast (150 grams cooked), you will be at 46 grams of protein.

If you want a bar or shake, I like Quest bars. (Side note: their calorie count is somewhat skewed because they subtract the fiber calories. For instance, these are the stats for the cookies and cream bar per the label:
    Cals: 180
    Fat: 7g
    Carbs: 22g
    Fiber: 17g
    Protein: 21g

Here are what their stats should be:
    Cals: 235
    Fat: 7g (7g*9cals=63 cals)
    Carbs: 22g (22g*4cals=88 cals)
    Fiber: 17g (17g*4cals=68 cals) (if you subtract this, you get 167 cals, which is close to the 180 on the label)
    Protein: 21g (21g*4cals=84 cals)

For protein shakes, I like Core Power Light (20grams of protein per serving) or Amplify XL (46grams of protein for 3 scoops) from GNC.
  • martyqueen52
    martyqueen52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    How can you not hit 25g of protein a day?
  • tmpecus78
    tmpecus78 Posts: 1,206 Member
    Options
    Questbars > every other bar
  • successgal1
    successgal1 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    Yeah. Eat more meat or other source of protein throughout the day. I have an egg and toast or grapenuts with milk in the morning, about 15 grams of protein. Small cup of Greek yogurt for a snack, 8 grams. Lunch has 2 oz chicken, a small cup of cottage cheese for afternoon snack, more protein, dinner has meat, and if i workout at night I have a post workout smoothie with liquid egg whites.

I eat protein with every meal. Protein is also in whole grains and beans.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    Pure Protein bars are good. Add some Greek yogurt, eggs, meats, cottage cheese, cheese, milk, etc. and get your protein through your food.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    tmpecus78 wrote: »

Haha, this might be true, but that doesn't mean it's tasty.
  • kikityme
    kikityme Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I held off on the quest bars for the longest time, but they are really really tasty. I don't think you'll find a "natural" protein bar unless it's beef jerky. ;)
  • yankeedownsouth
    yankeedownsouth Posts: 717 Member
    Options

I only eat a slice or 3 of ham in the morning.

I'd really try to up your protein through real food before you start adding bars/powders. I have nothing against bars and powders, and I use them myself most days. However, I'm also getting at least 100 grams of protein a day without them. Eat some meat, dairy, eggs, something "real."

• tmpecus78
    tmpecus78 Posts: 1,206 Member
    Options

huh? So you're telling me you don't think they aren't tasty?
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options

I find them delicious. I have one every morning for breakfast.
    <3

• berkayaliulker
    Options
    make your own protein bars.
    other day i made protein icecream. greekyoghurt+chocolate protein+peanuts and berries
  • NarwhalofNight
    Options

I don't mind if it's tasty or not. Just want natural good bars ha ha.

• JazzieG13
    JazzieG13 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I love protein bars but after reading (or trying to pronounce) some of the ingredients, I limit the amount of bars that I eat. Each day, I try to eat "natural" protein consisting of egg whites, organic ground turkey, grilled chicken, a variety of beans, part skim mozzarella. I usually reach >100g protein. Whey protein powder is good when I need added protein boost.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Pure Protein bars are low in carbs, low in calories, and have 19-21 grams of protein. They are the best bang for the buck in my opinion.
  • threnjen
    threnjen Posts: 687 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I eat a lot of Greek yogurt,cottage cheese, eggs, beef jerky,and meat in general to hit 115g a day. 57g should be easy.
    Oh, and Quest bars, I eat one a day.
  • sm1zzle
    sm1zzle Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    So I need around 57 grams of protein per day with the workout I'm doing and I can barely reach 25. I would like to get powder but see there are some bars. When I look at these bars they filled with weird ingredients and stuff. Any good protein bars that are healthy and really only have protein?

81MDgd1tj4L._SX522_.jpg
  • NarwhalofNight
    Options
    Alright thanks guys, going with quest bars.
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    Alright thanks guys, going with quest bars.

You'll enjoy the workout your jaw gets chewing them as well.