Anyone Else doing a DietBet

Options
I just won a 4-week DietBet and started the 6-month version. I find that having money on the line is good motivation for sticking with my exercise and portion control.

Anyone else doing this or considering it?

dietbetter.com

Replies

• 100andOnward
    100andOnward Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I've done it before, and I've had friends do it. It was fun, though I didn't make my goal either time on the scale. Both times, I lost noticeable body fat and inches, but didn't quite reach the number--very frustrating.

I'm considering doing it again, though.
  • teresamwhite
    teresamwhite Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    I've done GymPact...you "bet" the app you will work out so many times per week and get paid for meeting your goal. Likewise, you are penalized/charged when you don't. I really liked it...I bet $10/week that I would work out 4 times per week. I got paid something like $2 if I met my goal. I cashed out at one point and bought new running shoes. I would do it again.

(The app has GPS so it knows if you are at the gym, or walking/running...It had a lot of problems recognizing the gym on base, but I just reported it to the app geeks whenever it failed to recognize the gym, and I always got credited.)
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I don't use a gym, but I like the GymPact idea. Exercise is always a good thing.

Does DietBet let you set a reasonable goal for how much you have to lose? I personally won't do fast weight loss. I'm older and need to keep lean muscle. The number on the scale is just a number. Reducing body fat% is more important to me.
  • GreenNight18
    GreenNight18 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I just saw Shaun T post one and was considering doing it. Having a money goal seems motivating!

And TeaBea, the one I was looking at the goal was a 4% loss over 4 weeks which seemed reasonable (at least for the weight I'm at it is.) I don't know if they're all the same but it looked like they were all % lost.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Funny you should mention this. I happened to win a 6 month dietbet today! I expect about 2-2.5 times of my initial investment. 250-300 dollars is not bad. I will finally not feel guilty and buy decent clothes, since I EARNED these with my diet, it makes sense to spend them as a reward for my diet.
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    My boss has done a couple of the short ones and really enjoyed them. I haven't tried it out yet, but plan to eventually.
  • nilbogger
    nilbogger Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    All the 4 week bets are for losing 4% of your weight. The 6 month bets have you lose 10% of your bodyweight with monthly goals. The first month you'd be betting to lose 3% of your weight.
  • amusedmonkey
    edited October 2014
    Options
    The 6 month one has you losing 10% of your starting weight as follows:
    • First month: 3%
    • Second month: 3% (for a total of 6%)
    • Third month: 2% (for a total of 8%)
    • Fourth month: 1% (for a total of 9%)
    • Fifth month: 1% (for a total of 10%)
    • Sixth month: maintain 10% total

Half of the pot is split among the first 5 months, and the other half is the grand prize for the sixth month.

IMO It's a very reasonable rate for weight loss.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    nilbogger wrote: »
    All the 4 week bets are for losing 4% of your weight. The 6 month bets have you lose 10% of your bodyweight with monthly goals. The first month you'd be betting to lose 3% of your weight.

Hmm....4% (4 weeks) would be just over 1.5 pounds a week for me. That's too high for me....I'm looking for about half that (0.75 lbs a week).

If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal, and
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal.

• amusedmonkey
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »
    nilbogger wrote: »

Hmm....4% (4 weeks) would be just over 1.5 pounds a week for me. That's too high for me....I'm looking for about half that (0.75 lbs a week).

If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal, and
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal.

Yeah it is a bit aggressive, though not unreasonable. That's why I go with the 6 month one. Only the first 2 months need extra attention.

• Carlywiese
    Carlywiese Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Signing up for the Shaun T bet today! So excited!
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    I've seen this before and I've been very tempted. 4% for me would be nearly 7.5 pounds, and that's just too much for 4 weeks. I have lost almost 14 in the last 6-7 weeks, but I know that such rapid loss will taper off as I continue to lose.