Bored to DEATH

Options
I do a PiYo class early in the morning three days a week but on Tuesday and Thursday all that's available to me are machines - elliptical, treadmill and a spinning bike (which I have no clue how to use and there's no class or video to help). I'm bored to DEATH with the machines.

I'm looking for workout suggestions that help the whole body without a lot of jumping. I can run a limited amount but anything involving jumping is a no-go due to severe plantar fasciitis. Seriously last time I did jumping jacks I couldn't walk without help for two days.

Anyway, can anyone help a girl out with some suggestions?

Replies

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Are you only looking for cardio? I enjoy lifting weights, and I do a lot of compound movements with free weights to workout the entire body (squats, deadlifts, overhead press, etc). If you are looking for cardio, there are tons of barbell complexes that involve lifting lower weights quickly to get the heart rate up.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Pick up some free weights. Test your physical thresholds instead of being a hamster on a cardio machine. You'll thank yourself later.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    The bear complex and when you are ready the bear 2.0
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    I agree, add some weight lifting to the mix. I'd rather lift weights than do cardio any day.
  • mindiv
    mindiv Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I was doing weights for years but the "hum-drum" daily repetition just about killed me so I stopped.

Weight-wise my "gym" has only machines and a limited number of hand weights. Nothing with a bar. :/

I want to do some cardio because I find my day progresses better (i.e. I don't lose energy) if I can get my heart rate up for a good little bit. I'll check out some of your suggestions. :)
  • TAsunder
    TAsunder Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    What do you do about the plantar fasciitis?
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    mindiv wrote: »
    I was doing weights for years but the "hum-drum" daily repetition just about killed me so I stopped.

Weight-wise my "gym" has only machines and a limited number of hand weights. Nothing with a bar. :/

I want to do some cardio because I find my day progresses better (i.e. I don't lose energy) if I can get my heart rate up for a good little bit. I'll check out some of your suggestions. :)

The problem there is that in order to build actual strength or stimulate the muscles in a way that builds or maintains lean mass, repetition is a necessity. Without repetition there is no progression, and without progression there is no strength building or hypertrophy.

Basically, you need to get over this issue you have with repetitive movements in your workouts if you want to be able to get the results you're looking for.
  • blackcoffeeandcherrypie
    Options
    Swimming is an excellent all-over body workout and it is low impact too. I also find it a lot of fun to be in the water and it doesn't feel like exercise to me :-)
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Get some music you like, it makes cardio much more bearable.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    Squats, deadlifts, turkish getups.

All full body.