what to do at Planet Fitness?

Hello. I have a membership to Planet Fitness and am wondering what other PF members do to lose weight? I usually warm up on the treadmill for 15 minutes and then do the 30 minute room or alternate upper and lower body exercises followed by 30-45 minutes on the arc trainer. I also like to do zumba to break up the monotony. Does anyone else have a good workout "plan" at PF? I want to start using free weights but my form is less than stellar. Thanks!

Replies

• MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    "Most weight loss occurs because of decreased caloric intake.
    However, evidence shows the only way to maintain weight loss is to be engaged in regular physical activity."
    http://www.cdc.gov/healthyweight/physical_activity/index.html

Weightlifting should be done at most every other day, so don't work the same muscle groups 2 days in a row.

Meeting with the staff personal trainer would help you with your quest to learn free weights. I've been thinking about that myself.

What I do at PF:
    - Every day, I do the elliptical at least 30 min, and I've been trying to do 60.
    - 3x a week I do weightlifting. I do all the upper body machines (including the torso twist & crunches), plus the thigh ab/adduction. I skip the leg machines, figuring they're getting a natural workout on the elliptical, but that's just me. If you like more leg work do the leg machines. :)
  • Zerodette
    Zerodette Posts: 200 Member
    I have over 100 pounds to lose, so I tend to stick to the lower impact of the elliptical and the arc trainer. With the arc trainer, I alternate sessions at a low incline (cross country skiing type motion) and a high incline (Stairmaster type motion) to switch things up.
  • meridianova
    meridianova Posts: 438 Member
    i do the circuit machines 3 days a week and the ab machines the other 2 days. every day i use the torso twist machine. i recently changed things up from using the treadmill 5 days a week to only using it on the ab days, but that's 30 minutes.

i'm kind of limited on the cardio machines i can use because i have bad knees, so i only use the treadmills and have been gradually increasing my speed and the incline. i don't know if that's doing much in the way of weight loss, but i'm seeing improvements in muscle mass, especially in my calves and biceps, so something's working.
  • TheStephil
    TheStephil Posts: 858 Member
    When I went there I would do 15-20 minutes on weight machines then 30 minutes on the elliptical. Weight loss is due to calorie deficit and you don't need to do exercise to lose weight. Just pick a program that you can stick with and you will see results.
  • ashleyShades
    ashleyShades Posts: 375 Member
    Thanks <3
  • Chain_Ring
    Chain_Ring Posts: 753 Member
    Working out indoors pretty much sucks. I'd go buy a good mtn bike and ride it like you stole it.........
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    edited October 2014
    Working out indoors pretty much sucks. I'd go buy a good mtn bike and ride it like you stole it.........

And for the months that there is snow on the ground?

OP-Work on your free weight form with a PT a couple of sessions and then hit up a good lifting routine. Machines are OK at first, but they do exclude stabilizing muscles.

• ashleyShades
    ashleyShades Posts: 375 Member
    I live very close to Lake Michigan and like to go for walks down on the beach and do like to get outside. I have a beach cruiser that I ride around the neighborhood, but not often.. and it has a flat tire now haha