Going over in protein, is it ok?

Hey guys, I was wondering how bad it is to go over in your protein goal for the day? Like for instance this morning I had 23 points in protein. For lunch I will have 28 and it already say's i'm 3 points over. I'm planning on having a couple Oz of Pork Tenderlion for dinner. Is this ok? Thanks

Replies

• karenj_m
    karenj_m Posts: 215
    YES .....its absolutely fine
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Most of us would say that MFP sets their protein default a little low anyway. Treat it as a minimum. It won't hurt your weight loss either way, but getting more protein can help you feel fuller and retain more lean muscle mass as you're losing weight.
  • MelanieRBrace
    MelanieRBrace Posts: 245 Member
    Will unused protein turn to fat?
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Will unused protein turn to fat?

Only if you're eating above your maintenance calories.

• lavenderlabs
    lavenderlabs Posts: 10 Member
    Awesome Guys :) Thanks so much. That is what I needed to know. I was kinda freaking out on that part. But I'm eating good stuff with alot of Protein, like Salmon and Cottage cheese and such. I never go over my Calories but of course I'm only on day 3 haha. Thanks again
  • TossaBeanBag
    TossaBeanBag Posts: 458 Member
    Do drink lots of water, since your kidneys are working hard to get rid of the excess protein... if you are consuming excess.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    It's definitely fine. MFP's protein goal is really low, for my preference and the carb goal is way too high. I usually eat 90-105 grams of protein each day. If you're eating the same amount of protein each day, or less, you don't need to worry about your kidneys and drinking extra water. They can handle that much protein very easily.
  • conkle23
    conkle23 Posts: 171 Member
    Protein is required for weight loss! the more the better!