I know there's no such thing as starvation mode but....

Options
2»

Replies

• jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    The reason you don't feel like eating is because your body is focused on healing. Listen to your body. But do stay hydrated.

You're not losing muscle. You're losing water and glycogen and probably some fat and your weight will likely bounce back as soon as you're well and eating normally again.
    LOL, no.

• WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    Ask a doctor if you should force-feed yourself while feeling nauseous and puking. Or ask the internet. Or just google it. Or use common sense. Your body is rejecting food. Drink calories, if that works but don't force food down if you're just puking it up.

About your body focusing on healing, not digesting:
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/01/06/lose-appetite-cold-flu-sick_n_4525367.html
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Ask a doctor if you should force-feed yourself while feeling nauseous and puking. Or ask the internet. Or just google it. Or use common sense. Your body is rejecting food. Drink calories, if that works but don't force food down if you're just puking it up.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/01/06/lose-appetite-cold-flu-sick_n_4525367.html
    She didn't say she's puking up food, and your article relates to a loss of appetite when you're sick, not someone who says she feels very hungry (doesn't sound like a loss of appetite to me) yet hasn't eaten any significant food for 5 days after a hangover. It's not at all uncommon to feel a bit nauseous when reintroducing food after a lengthy fast - that doesn't mean that you should not eat. It means you need to start slowly reintroducing food into your system in some fashion until you're back to normal eating habits.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    parkscs wrote: »
    The reason you don't feel like eating is because your body is focused on healing. Listen to your body. But do stay hydrated.

You're not losing muscle. You're losing water and glycogen and probably some fat and your weight will likely bounce back as soon as you're well and eating normally again.

This makes absolutely no sense. Your body is focused on "healing" so you don't eat? That's utter non-sense. The OP said she was very hungry but feeling nausea - so this is some form of magical, holistic nausea that is experienced when your body is healing itself for 5 days after a hangover? She needs to eat, not rely on magical healing nausea and a complete lack of food to heal her.

don't you know that nausea and puking is your body's way of healing itself?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

because the internet is always right...
  • kshadows
    kshadows Posts: 1,315 Member
    Options

I'm not puking though, I just FEEL like it. I haven't thrown up at all.

I took a pregnancy test to be sure and that was negative as expected. I do have a call in to my doctor and I'm waiting to hear back from her. Thanks for all the input.

• kshadows
    Options
    Oh and I'm not dehydrated because I've been drinking non-stop water and gatorade, and my urine is clear.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    That must if been a interesting night. I wish I had this kind of problem with alcohol. I get the munchies. I would say that you are more sick from something else other than the alcohol.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    MKEgal wrote: »
    But there really is such a thing as starvation mode. It's not easy to get to. Your metabolism lowers, your body starts using muscle for energy in a last-ditch effort to power your body long enough to find food before the heart &/or diaphragm lose so much tissue they can't keep working & you die.
    Not really. First your body would go into ketosis just like someone who is restricting their carbohydrate intake. Your body burns ketones produced from your body's fat for energy instead of glucose from carbs. Our cells are adapted to using either energy source so it can survive for long periods when food is scarce.

What you're describing wouldn't start happening until after at least three weeks without food, especially for someone with a lot of fat to burn.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    jkwolly wrote: »
    LoraF83 wrote: »
    Go to a doctor. I don't think anyone has ever had a week-long hangover.
    You obviously don't know how to party.

.....seriously OP, go to a Doctor.

I've had a week-long drunken binge that didn't give me a week-long hangover. OP, can you try an apple or any piece of fruit? I get nauseated like that and if I can do good breathing and cut it up into small pieces, I can eat an apple and then everything is better.

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Are you drinking every night? If you drank one night and got sick for five days, I'd visit a doctor.

And if you're puking food up, don't force it down. It's a waste of energy and of food. Keep taking sips of room temp water, try some peppermint gum and call the doctor.
  • FatOldBat
    FatOldBat Posts: 3,307 Member
    Options
    Tea, toast, repeat. Cures everything according to Granndma.
  • happyfeetrebel1
    happyfeetrebel1 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    Why would you say that there's no such thing as starvation mode?

Because there isn't?

/science
  • kshadows
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    Are you drinking every night? If you drank one night and got sick for five days, I'd visit a doctor.

And if you're puking food up, don't force it down. It's a waste of energy and of food. Keep taking sips of room temp water, try some peppermint gum and call the doctor.

Not even close...this was the first time I had more than a drink or two in probably 6 months...I very rarely drink, especially in that volume.

Doctor says nothing appears wrong, she thinks its stress so I'm working on that. It's a little better but not back to normal still.