Am I a pear or a hourglass?

Options
2»

Replies

• llUndecidedll
    llUndecidedll Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    You look like a pear to me. Your bust to hip ratio needs to be closer to 1:1 to be considered hourglass shaped. Nothing is wrong with having a typical shape for a woman, no matter the size. I have an inverted triangle shape, and would love to have your shape.
  • gabibarbosa
    Options
    afrocided wrote: »
    You look like a pear to me. Your bust to hip ratio needs to be closer to 1:1 to be considered hourglass shaped. Nothing is wrong with having a typical shape for a woman, no matter the size. I have an inverted triangle shape, and would love to have your shape.

Inverted triangle has its beauty too :smile: every body shape has potencial and good qualities, as someone said here, we should just try to be the best version of ourselves

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    You are woman shaped
  • gabibarbosa
    Options
    Thank you guys, now I see there's no point on wanting to be a hourglass. It's a beautiful shape indeed, but so it's pear, banana, apple and all sort of fruits that can possibly exist, each one can bring flattering female qualities. Dilemma solved, I'm most probably a pear so I guess I'm just gonna try to be the best "pear" I can be :wink:
  • gabibarbosa
    gabibarbosa Posts: 13
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    You are woman shaped

sounds like a nice shape for a woman :#

• macclone
    macclone Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I don't care what shape you are and that 2012 picture shows you are smoking hot. Enjoy that fact.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Star fruit, with papaya tendencies
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    Pears waist and bust measurement are darn near exact, while the hips are at minimum 10+ inches larger than the waist, usually 12 inches. To me, if you have to ask, you're not a pear. You'd know. There'd be no doubt about it whatsoever.
  • logg1e
    logg1e Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    I found the whole "body shape" classifications helpful for learning about what clothing best suits my figure.
  • logg1e
    Options
    macclone wrote: »
    I don't care what shape you are and that 2012 picture shows you are smoking hot. Enjoy that fact.

Eeeuw.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I was going to say, "You are YOU shaped," but this is better...
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    You are woman shaped

Try not to think about the fruits and stuff. I know it sounds simplistic and moronic, but just try to be the best you that you can be.

As I now have looser skin, I think I'm more raisiny than anything: wider in the middle, tapered ends and a lot of wrinklies in between. :)

• elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,306 Member
    Options
    totally laughing that we call ourselves things like "pear shaped" "apple shaped" and then the lucky ones are called "hour glass" haha… why oh why do we do this to ourselves. B)
  • logg1e
    Options
    "Hour glass" was just en vogue in the fifties wasn't it?
  • sarahmorris32
    sarahmorris32 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    To answer your question, your measurements indicate a pear shape. In my experience, most people have no idea what an actual hourglass looks like or even is. So anytime someone has a waist and curves they're called an hourglass, or if a women has relatively proportional hips and bust measurements even if that person doesn't have a particularly defined waist. People seem to think being called an hourglass is a compliment, which is probably why you hear it. I've heard that some women, especially pears, become more proportional as they lose weight. Others attempt to build up their chest muscles, shoulders and upper backs for a more proportional look. Truthfully though, body type is based on bone structure and to a lesser extent fat distribution. You can change it marginally with fat or muscle, but you can't control your skeleton. For what it's worth, I have an hourglass figure and it's not all it's cracked up to be. People think it's big boobs, a great butt, and a flat stomach. Nope. You can be a hourglass with no boobs (just broad shoulders), wide hips (with a flat butt), and a big gut right below a freakishly small waist. Body shapes are really only helpful for picking out clothes. For the rest of the time, we are all woman shaped and that's a beautiful thing.
  • RibStabsHeart
    RibStabsHeart Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Maybe it's just me, but I can never tell what shape a woman is from the front. Curves are too misleading.
  • sarahmorris32
    sarahmorris32 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    It's not just you. Unless you have the person's measurements, it's hard to tell. To me, that says body shapes really don't matter that much in the grand scheme of things. The difference between an hourglass and a ruler/banana is literally an inch. 36-28-36 is a banana, but if it's 36-27-36 you're magically an hourglass because of one measly inch on one measurement.