Elliptical Experts - calorie help needed

Options
I just got an elliptical. I am surprised by how few calories it says I'm burning. I usually do the treadmill and I will raise the incline to ten and use hand weights and walk at 4 mph...Well, with the elliptical I was sweating as equally much (or more) as I would with that kind of treadmill workout, but the calorie count was way less. (FYI- I know the treadmill over estimates calories- I use an app on my phone to get a lower more accurate calorie number). I put the resistance level at 4 (out of 10) and worked out for 33 minutes. The calorie counter on the machine said 150 calories burned. It felt like it should have been way more with how much I was sweating and how much my legs felt like jello when I got off the machine. Calorie calculators online predicted for my height (5'7") and weight (148) that it should have been somewhere around 220-300 calories burned for 30 minutes. Is it truly that low of a calorie burn with the elliptical machines? It feels like a lot of work and yet takes probably almost 15 seconds of work to burn even one calorie? Any thoughts?? Thanks!!

Replies

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Honestly, 300 calories per hour sounds about right for the elliptical on your settings. You could pick up a Heart Rate Monitor and it could tell you more closely the calorie burn you are getting on the elliptical. Keep in mind, that will still be an estimation as well, but HRMs can be pretty accurate if you are only doing steady state cardio like the elliptical.
  • allisonjforsyth
    allisonjforsyth Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Thanks, Hornsby! I will take your word for it. Although I'm bummed to hear it. Not sure it is really worth it for me to ever use the elliptical versus the treadmill if that's the kind of burn I can expect. I love your suggestion on the heart rate monitor. I think it's time for me to get one. And kudos to you for all your weight loss and your amazing muscular legs etc. Awesome work! Thanks again for the suggestions and response! All the best!