snacking before bed

Options
I have this habit of taking a snack with me to bed. I cannot sleep unless I have a snack. It is always with in my calorie budget, it is always flax cereal and granola. Will snacking before bed hinder weight loss attempts? Any ideas on how to break this habit. I have tried brushing my teeth and chewing gum and not bringing a snack in with me, but then I cannot sleep. I am trying to figure out if this is something I need to quit doing.
Thank you in advance for you advice, support and input.

Replies

• nccarolb
    nccarolb Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    My therapist recommends a bedtime snack for me to help me sleep. She suggests complex carbohydrates like you are eating. Evidently, there is some proof that those types of food lead to better sleep.
  • markrichtsspraytan
    markrichtsspraytan Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Meal timing will not have direct impact on your weight. If it's not causing you sleep issues, do as you'd like.
  • annangelich
    annangelich Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Thank you both, I have read a few different places that it could thwart all my hard work I have been putting in. I really didn't want it to be true. I can understand that my old go to of a candy bar and a bag of chips would really hold the weight hostage on my waistline.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    As long as you have fit the calories into your goal, what time of day you eat has no impact on weight loss. Neither does what you are actually eating as long as the calories are the same. Enjoy your snack!
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    As long as you can sustain a caloric deficit over time you will do just fine whether you eat before bed or not.
  • numinousnymph
    numinousnymph Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    i snack before bed every day. psychologically i feel unsatisfied if i don't. i just keep it within my defecit range, and it hasn't hindered my weight loss so far.
  • shadowofender
    shadowofender Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Meal timing isn't important. I have really freaky weird dreams if I eat certain things too close to bed, though.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I have popcorn every night- usually with in an hour of bed time- and typically on my way from the living room to my bed room I grab a york- or a few spoon bites of ice cream- I have to walk through my kitchen to bed... so usually grab a nice sweet treat on my way. If I have the room for it I get a whole serving of ice cream and take it in a mug with me to bed.

not relevant to weight loss- you'll be fine AND happy- bonus win win.
  • annangelich
    annangelich Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I am so RELIEVED to hear that meal timing has no impact! Thank you all for your input. I have to have my bed time snack.. I'm not hungry but I cannot sleep without it. Here I was worried for nothing. :p
  • nam985
    nam985 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I spend most of my evenings at the dance studio, either teaching or taking classes, I always have a little snack (usually tea with some yogurt, chia seeds and either nuts or fruit) before turning in for the night. If I'm hungry I have a hard time getting to sleep, and it has just become part of my nighttime routine along with taking off my makeup, brushing my teeth, etc.