First Half Marathon

Options
2»

Replies

• viktha
    viktha Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I used Hal Higdon's training plan but started at the week that closely related to what I was already running and went from there and used it as a guideline after week 11.

I tried out GU and clifblok on long runs and got sick from them. I also tried raisin and sport beans which were fine. One of my running partners uses crystilized ginger another uses 5 hour energy type drinks right before. You really just need to try something on a long run and see how it works fpr you, it may not be for you so you try something else. See what they will supply at the aid stations and see if that works for you - would be easier than carrying anything during the race.
  • golfbrew_matt
    golfbrew_matt Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Lot's of great advice already. You are way ahead of where I was when I ran my first (and only) half last year. I disagree with the first reply that 2 hours is not realistic, since that is exactly what I ran mine in and in my training runs I was behind where you were at. I also only trained about 12 weeks total, building up first to 5k, then 10k and my longest training run before the race was 9 miles. If you are anything like me, the adrenaline of the race will make the race day your best day by far. My goal was 2 hours and 15 minutes and like I said, I ended up finishing at 2 hours. I think you're in great shape to set a goal of 2 hours or slightly more, but definitely don't pressure yourself. Setting the goal higher and beating it is more fun than the alternative. Personally, I didn't want or need the water bottle or the gel, but go with what works for you. Congratulations on starting this journey and good luck on your training and race!
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    OnionMomma wrote: »
    .... it's not about time you first big race.....

For me, it was about the time :)
  • BChanFit
    BChanFit Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I agree with most of what’s been said. As far as the goal pace, that’s like a 9 minute mile or faster… for two whole hours. I know I wouldn't attempt this but it sounds like you already have a good base and time to train to improve even more. Just don’t beat yourself up if you don’t make it. 13.1 is 13.1 no matter how fast you get it done. My longest run before my half was a 10k. I registered for the half on a whim 3 days before the race and finished in 2 hours, 38 minutes. This year I was really excited to smash my previous half time and finish in 2 hours 21 minutes. Intervals for speed work in addition to long runs have helped tremendously. Good luck in your training!
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    Kindeo wrote: »
    I agree with most of what’s been said. As far as the goal pace, that’s like a 9 minute mile or faster… for two whole hours.

To do this in 2 hours you need a 9:09 average pace. Good luck OP but don't feel bummed out if you don't make that time. The first goal is just to make it to the race with no injuries. Second is to finish, and the last is whatever time you think you can reasonably do.
  • goanothermile
    goanothermile Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Depending on your weight and gait your shoes should have a life of somewhere between 300-500 miles. So in theory one pair should get you through HM training, although you'll be racing in shoes that are near the end of their life at that point. Personally I rotate several pairs, two pairs each of road and trail, partly to give them a chance to recover from the sessions and partly to avoid having to transition from old to new when I need to replace them.

I agree with this.

My shoes last about 300 miles. My combination of weight, overpronation, and heel-striking tends to wear them out by then.

I also like to rotate shoes. I try to keep two usable pairs in the stable. I'll use the newer pair for long runs/race and have the older pair for midweek shorter runs. Having an extra pair is handy when you have to run in the rain.

If I can, I'll try to work in replacement shoes a few weeks before a race.

Also... I keep my eyes open for sale pricing or closeout deals on my favorite shoes. I'll stick an extra pair in the closet if I can pick up a good deal. It is nice to be able to break them out later as needed.
  • goanothermile
    goanothermile Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    JengaJess wrote: »
    One more question: My buddy works at a running store that does fitting and tests and all that awesome stuff. I'm definitely going there for new shoes. I just don't know when. I don't want to buy them too early and wear them out prior to the race, but I want to break them in. I was thinking of getting them at the end of November? Any suggestions?

My favorite piece of running gear is my GPS watch. Mine is an older model that just keeps on ticking. If you don't already have one... that is a great investment, gift idea, whatever.

My favorite gels are Huma Energy Gels. They have a thinner consistency and go down easier than the thicker GU and Hammer Gels. Plus, they taste good.

Try a few different gels. Whatever you do... drink PLENTY of water after using gels. Make sure you get extra water after the long runs. If I don't do that, my belly gets very unhappy.