TRX Training?

Options
Hello guys! :3

I just took my first class in TRX training on Monday, and my muscles are still aching.
Does anyone else do TRX training? How do you log it?
Any advice for a newcomer?

Also, if anyone cares to share, what sort of results have you seen since starting TRX?
I haven't been exercising much for the past year, so I'm trying to get in gear with this class. Hopefully I'll shed some fat and make some muscle. How has it gone for you?

Replies

• erocks308
    Options
    I used Lifeline Jungle Gym for awhile when I first started to get back into shape. I think I just used the generic circuit training label in MFP.

You can certainly get yourself good and sore from a suspension workout, especially at first. There is a set of PDF files out there online called Supsension Revolution - one each for beginners, intemediates, and advanced users. I got up to the intermediate level, but quit for a few reasons. First of all, I was in my basement and didn't have enough room to be comfortable all the time. Annoyance basically. Also, they were loud and I was working out directly under where my kids sleep.

I saw some gradual increases in strength - gauged by my ability to do the excercises easier, do more challenging angles, or more of each one. I wouldn't say it created any sort of visual change to my body outside the calorie burn that helped with my weightloss.

If you're in a calorie defecit I wouldn't expect to gain much in the way of muscle, but you'll see some increases in performance.

FWIW, I moved to barbell training since it was more in line with my goals.
  • projektai
    projektai Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing!

I'm wondering if I should continue with TRX, or just return to my old method of weight lifting. While weight loss is a target of mine, I'm specifically looking for fat loss, since, let's face it, I don't want to be this level of squishy anymore.
    I've lost a little over forty pounds, and I need to weigh myself today, but I'm hoping to lose another twenty or so, but I haven't been exercising for so long, I feel a little lost.

I'm not sure if I need the PDF files, since I'm in a group led by an instructor, and I don't really plan to risk working out in this way on my own; I have a tendency to be a klutz. Thank you for sharing that though, because I bet it's really useful.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,238 Member
    Options
    I would say stick with it for at least 6 weeks if you enjoy it. It will increase strength if done correctly.
  • erocks308
    Options
    Yea it sounds like you're on a fine path. Fat loss is going to be diet and any calories you can get rid of with exercise are a bonus. TRX classes can be really intense from what I've read, so sounds like a solid exercise routine that can help you get stronger at the same time. If you're happy with it no reason to quit.
  • projektai
    Options
    Then it looks like I'll be sticking with TRX for awhile. I just hope that I don't wind up so sore every single time! Even if it is a gratifying sort of sore. c:
    I'm doing both TRX and spin classes, so I'm hoping this combo will help me get nice and lean.

Thank you for the advice, and I hope barbell training is going splendid!
  • erocks308
    Options
    Soreness will get better over time as your body adapts, but yea it sucks. Good luck! Stretch out afterwards where you know you'll be sore at. Also, lower intesity cardio can help there too - inclined walking, light jog, etc.
  • lili61
    lili61 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I love TRX. I used to take a TRX class 2x a week, but now that I know what I'm doing, I've just started incorporating some of it after I've finished my lifting sessions. (I'm currently in the last stage of New Rules of Lifting for Women.)

I think it's great to build up strength but you're not going to see the gains like you would with lifting. I usually log it as circuit training.
  • wkwebby
    wkwebby Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    I love TRX too! I can't say that I've done any classes, but my trainers love them so I learned to love/hate them (oh the pain!). There is always a way to make yourself sore on TRX, that's part of the beauty of the system. As you progress, you challenge yourself more (angle or whatnot) to make it work for you, therefore, muscle soreness no matter the level.

It's a GOOD pain. ;) I've always hated that saying, but yes, you control the level of intensity and there is "almost" no way to hurt yourself irreparably. The system is designed to help you do the correct thing in each exercise or at least make it really uncomfortable if you are doing the wrong thing.
  • projektai
    Options
    Well, and I don't mean to sound silly, I don't intend to "bulk up."
    If by gain, you mean I won't be building as much muscle, I'm a little confused because I thought that TRX would help me strengthen my muscles, which would help me burn fat, wouldn't it? Or am I completely off the mark here?
  • lili61
    Options
    Strength gains are not the same as building muscle. You will probably not be putting on any muscle by doing TRX, as gaining muscle mass is very difficult. You certainly will not "bulk up".

If you eat at a deficit, you will lose fat, and the strength training aspects of TRX will help the appearance of your muscle. It sounds like TRX will help you achieve exactly what you want to do--lose fat and improve strength. Have fun with it!
  • projektai
    Options
    Oh phew! I'm glad that works out in the end then. :3
    Thank you very much! I'm looking forward to TRX again tonight. Hopefully I'll look a little less silly.
  • lili61
    Options
    There's something about TRX that makes it always look somewhat silly to me, but it's effective. I hope you never have to do TRX burpees. Those are the worst!