Low Cal or Low Carb????

Options
Which is a better plan to kick start some weight loss? I have heard positives and negatives on both sides, and want to hear it from anybody who has tried either one or both. Not even sure how to start low carb. Any comments, opinions, and suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

Replies

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Even if you do low carb you will still be required to maintain a caloric deficit. I would START by figuring out a reasonable caloric intake, and from there you can make adjustments to macronutrients to suit your preferences/satiety.
  • TLCEsq
    TLCEsq Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    ^^^ what he said
  • TheStephil
    TheStephil Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    SideSteel wrote: »
    Even if you do low carb you will still be required to maintain a caloric deficit. I would START by figuring out a reasonable caloric intake, and from there you can make adjustments to macronutrients to suit your preferences/satiety.

^ This

• Cortneyrenee04
    Cortneyrenee04 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    You have to have a calorie deficit to lose weight. For me, it's easier to swap out carbs for something else so I get to eat a bit more. You can eat a tiny bit of bread or a big bowl of veggies- I chose veggies! (Usually)
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    You could take out 125 grams of carbs to establish a 500 calorie deficit. Pasta, bread, cake, sugar, candy, sweets, dessert, pizza, pie crust, cookies, biscuit etc can be reduced or eliminated to achieve this.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    technically low carb is low calorie..if you cut out calorie dense foods and eat less of them then you are doing low calorie…

personally, I would just eat low calorie and stay within your carb macro …carbs are not the devil….
  • meganjcallaghan
    meganjcallaghan Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    technically low carb is low calorie..if you cut out calorie dense foods and eat less of them then you are doing low calorie…

personally, I would just eat low calorie and stay within your carb macro …carbs are not the devil….

whaa? low carb isn't the same as low calorie. you could eat meats and fats all day er'day and quite quickly end up over your calorie goal.

• Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Low carb is not low calorie. First of all 1 gram of fat represents 9 calories while 1 gram of carbohydrate represents 4 calories. So, replacing carbs with fat is not low calorie and you can easily overshoot your calorie goals while doing low-carb. Remember, you put on extra calories by eating in a surplus of what your body requires to function based on your activity level. If you're going to do low-carb, that's fine, but understand what your calorie requirements are for you to lose weight. Also, don't just shoot for 1200 like some sheep do because 1200 is likely far too low for most women. You want to lose weight on as many calories possible for successful long-term weight management.

Carbs aren't this horrible thing either, people can lose weight with carbohydrates.
  • Bakkasan
    Bakkasan Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Everyone has their own opinions on the matter and only believe the research that backs their position. Both are effective. The most effective is the one you stick to.
  • ThePhoenixIsRising
    ThePhoenixIsRising Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    To drop weight you have to drop cals, going lo carb is one way to do that.
  • nill4me
    nill4me Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    Bakkasan wrote: »
    The most effective is the one you stick to.

well put.

• loulamb7
    loulamb7 Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    Pick one that you can stick to for the long term. I rather eat less of what I enjoy then eliminate or severely restrict any particular food group.
  • Bakkasan
    Bakkasan Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Sometimes Mac and cheese just makes everything better in the world.
  • nill4me
    nill4me Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    Sometimes? :wink:
  • Omanya
    Omanya Posts: 50
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Depends. Are you referring to lowcal/lowcarb diet foods or monitoring your overall consumption to ensure that your carbs or calories are lower?

Carbs are your main energy source, so I wouldn't advise going too low carb. Those such diets tend to work in the short term because people on them tend to switch from processed to whole foods and drastically increase their protein intake, decreasing caloric intake by an average of several hundred per day; it's not because of anything inherent to eating fewer carbs. Bear in mind that humans throughout most of human history have eaten mostly carbs - generally above 70% - and obesity is only a recent problem. The leanest countries in the world have extremely high carb consumption. That's not to suggest that you should eat a super-high carb diet, but to exemplify how high carb itself does not hinder weight loss or maintenance.

Other than that, be weary of "kick starting" your results, especially on a low-carb diet. Those many "kick started" lb you lose will be mostly water and glycogen stores and not fat. In other words, it could be the case that you quickly lose, say, 8 lb, but your body doesn't look any different, you haven't lost any cm, and your clothes don't feel any different. That's because you've lost only a negligible amount of fat.

Assuming fat loss, and not mere weight loss, is your goal, you should take it slowly. That will tip the scale more slowly, but it will change your body composition (fat mass/lean body mass) more quickly. It can be the difference between losing no weight but two inches off your waist and losing 5 lb but no inches.
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    Omanya wrote: »
    Bear in mind that humans throughout most of human history have eaten mostly carbs - generally above 70%

Source?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

whaa? low carb isn't the same as low calorie. you could eat meats and fats all day er'day and quite quickly end up over your calorie goal.

ummm that is why I said "technically"….
  • mptrixie1
    Options
    Thanks for all the input!
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    frob23 wrote: »
    Omanya wrote: »
    Bear in mind that humans throughout most of human history have eaten mostly carbs - generally above 70%

Source?
    This,
    Yet I imagine, even if a paper is cited, it's going to be at best speculation.