Does walking to and from school count as excersize!

Options
Hey! I've been on these forums for a bit before, but mostly to just ask questions.

Basically I'm a student trying to get her weight under control. So when I was setting up my weight loss regiment, I said that I was lightly active (Because I walk a bit while in school). However, I walk 30 minutes to school, and then 30 minutes from school each day. I walk at a rather fast pace, and I walk with 2 bags (Computer bag plus knapsack) on my person. So I've been entering this as me walking at 2.5 mph for 60 minutes each day, and then eating accordingly.

Do you think that what I'm doing is right?

Replies

• deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    You could set it for "sedentary" and then log that as exercise. Or, leave it as lightly active and don't log it. Adjust from there if you are not losing weight at the expected rate.
  • streamgirl
    streamgirl Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Give it a shot, but also watch your results. If you find that this doesn't result in moderate weight loss, you probably need to do more or eat less. MFP tends (IMHO) to overestimate calories for exercise, and if you aren't weighing the food you input, you are most likely underestimating. That's ok, as long as you realize that you might have to make other adjustments (like reduce calorie intake) to make up for it. Good luck! I wish that I'd done this when I was a student instead of waiting until I was almost 40!
  • GothyFaery
    GothyFaery Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    How long have you been doing this? Have you gained? Have you lost? Are you losing at the rate MFP is set to (.5lb/week, 1lb/week)?

You could get an activity tracker. It would give you a much better estimate.

Also one more thing to point out, MFP is really bad for overestimating calories burned. Most people counteract this by only eating back 50% of their exercise calories.
  • llUndecidedll
    llUndecidedll Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    I don't know. I have a pretty active job that I work 4 days a week, where I'm on my feet for 7.5 hours, but I don't even like to consider that as being lightly active.

I would say experiment with it being set to lightly active for a few weeks and see what results you get.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Run to school. That's what the Kenyans do.