Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Help with bicep curls

I've recently not been feeling anything in my biceps. Almost overnight went from feeling a decent burn lifting 8lb each to nothing. So I bumped it up to 10lb each, still not feeling it in my biceps. I feel it in my shoulders, and it's really difficult to lift, but NOTHING in my biceps. I keep my arms glued to my side, shoulders back and down, chest slightly lifted. Any tips or ideas on why I went from lifting 8lb with a nice burn to feeling nothing?

Replies

• Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    The body adjusts to exercises, I haven't felt a burn in my muscles for 30 years. If you progress in weight you will see either a difference in strength or strength/mass depending on your goals and if your are eating at a deficit/surplus.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    No burn? Do 20# for 150 reps per set. You might feel it then, I know I do.

#somequestionslol
  • thursdaystgiles
    thursdaystgiles Posts: 98 Member
    No need to be a jerk. As I explained, even though I can't feel it in my biceps, I feel it in my shoulders and it's really, really hard. I can only do maybe 12 reps, TOPS with the 10lb before I have to stop because of the burn in my shoulders and my muscles just won't work. But I don't feel it in my biceps. If you have nothing useful to contribute, then don't comment, thanks.
  • dbmata
    you aren't isolating, don't be waa waa. isolate, push harder, change those 12 reps to 30. You'll be good to go.

Unless you're not wanting to put the work in. It's all about time under tension.

Unless, I totally read you wrong and you just want validation. Let me know, I can do that too.
  • shadowofender
    shadowofender Posts: 786 Member
    For me I start to feel the burn in other places if I'm not isolating. Typically the first time after increasing, it's too heavy and my other muscles compensate. Really focus on making sure your form is correct and flexing the muscle. Also, what type of curls are you doing? Variety can help this too, as the supporting muscles and tendons in your bicep also love the workout.
  • dbmata
    lol. You're the one being silly and aggro.

lols.

Why you isolating anyway? You don't seem to look like a curl bro. Especially since your intensity seems to be a little missing. Instead of complaining, listen to what you're being told, or you can just continue to troll out.
  • thursdaystgiles
    thursdaystgiles Posts: 98 Member
    *yawn*
  • Any type of free weight exercises will also involve secondary muscles in your body. It can be a variety of reasons why your biceps aren't feeling as much of a burn. However, you can try to isolate your Biceps solely through the use of a machine (if available) or google some home exercises. (machine provides the best isolation). You mention only your shoulders hurt, I can only guess that it might be your form or the weight is too strong. Like people said, your body does adapt over time. Perhaps, try to increase the repetition. **Not having the "burn" feeling doesn't mean you aren't exercising your biceps.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,208 Member
    edited October 2014
    Almost overnight went from feeling a decent burn lifting 8lb each to nothing. So I bumped it up to 10lb each, still not feeling it in my biceps. I feel it in my shoulders, and it's really difficult to lift, but NOTHING in my biceps. Any tips or ideas on why I went from lifting 8lb with a nice burn to feeling nothing?

Only thing that comes to mind is tendonitis of one of your bicep tendons (you have 2). They cross the shoulder joint, and in some people, they can rub on the shoulder and get inflamed, causing pain in the shoulder. Solution for that is rest and physical therapy.

How many sets of curls were you doing per workout, and how many days a week did you do them?
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Burning really isn't an accurate way to go about working out- I mean- it's a nice feeling but weight lifting isn't like a step class or body pump.

I'm willing to bet your purse weighs more than 10 pounds- so for startersit's probably not heavy enough and secondly get off the "it's not burning" concept for a good workout- it's just not a reliable way to validate the intensity of a workout.
    If I only do 5 reps- it's rare anything's burning- but at 30+ pounds a piece in each arm I know I'm working.

• dbmata
    Tendonitis would cause regionalized pain. OP isn't complaining about that.

OP is complaining about not feeling any burn.

Means one of two things, weight is lacking, intensity is lacking. She'll figure it out, or not. It's up to her, with how aggro she is, I think she's just amusing.
  • earlyxer
    earlyxer Posts: 240 Member
    Yea, isolate like dbmata says. It's a good way to get injured, and you'll really feel that hahaha. Try some preacher curls on the bench if you really feel like taking risks - they're almost as bad as shrugs. Otherwise, keep doing what you're doing and slowly increase the weight every week.
  • wolfsbayne
    wolfsbayne Posts: 3,116 Member
    I agree with Jo. Burning isn't really much of an indicator for me. I do Zottman curls with 25 lbs in each hand and it's tough, but my muscles don't burn.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    earlyxer wrote: »
    Yea, isolate like dbmata says. It's a good way to get injured, and you'll really feel that hahaha. Try some preacher curls on the bench if you really feel like taking risks - they're almost as bad as shrugs. Otherwise, keep doing what you're doing and slowly increase the weight every week.

What is wrong with preacher curls and shrugs?

• dbmata
    apparently they're just going to cause huge systemic damage.

Which is why there are so few curl bros.
    Oh wait.
  • dlvuyovich
    dlvuyovich Posts: 102 Member
    Dumbell curls are not the only excercise for your biceps. Do some research on different types of bicep moves. There are lots of different ones out there, Arnold curls, barbells and cables.

Try something different, mix it up and you may find something that hits where you want it to hit and take the strain off your shoulders.

Try incorporating bodyweight exercises too, they are more functional and work the muscles they way they are intended to work. For example, pushups will work just about everything (including your bis & tris), with the dominant muscles doing most of the work and the support (smaller) muscles getting their due as well, which tend to get ignored when you isolate.

Hope that helps.
  • Lennox497
    Lennox497 Posts: 242 Member
    Body weight FTW. Hit up the chin-up bar. Hits the biceps and strengthens your back.
  • pscarolina
    pscarolina Posts: 133 Member
    For me I start to feel the burn in other places if I'm not isolating. Typically the first time after increasing, it's too heavy and my other muscles compensate. Really focus on making sure your form is correct and flexing the muscle. Also, what type of curls are you doing? Variety can help this too, as the supporting muscles and tendons in your bicep also love the workout.

^^^this (try some hammer curls or reverse bicep curls)

You may be shrugging your shoulders up to compensate for the additional weight. Have someone stand behind you & put their hands on your traps/shoulders. I think I'd also try a preacher curl just to see if I could isolate a little more.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    edited October 2014
    Did you get your burn on, Bro?
    http://youtu.be/Rn5mzEAMAkY
  • steve1686
    steve1686 Posts: 346 Member
    keep your arms to your side now flex your bicep like you're posing for a magazine. concentrate on only flexing the bicep, now release it. this is what you want to do, except add weight. if you still can't do it without using your shoulders, lower the weight or try an alternate exercise (preacher curl/assisted chin up, etc)