Heinz baked beans calories accuracy?

Options
Hi, I know canned foods are a big no-no but I allow myself some baked beans once in a while. I've been having the Salt-reduced Heinz Baked Beans for a while, but I'm a bit puzzled about the nutrition label on the can.

According to online calorie counters, 100 grams of ordinary baked beans are 155 calories. But on the can, it says around 91 calories for 100 grams of baked beans. That's quite a difference. I'm not sure how to count them into my daily intake now!

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Always use the label of the food you are consuming, the salt reduced one probably has less sugar or something as well.
  • drazani
    drazani Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Id go by the nutrition label on the can also why are canned foods a big no no?
  • babycorns
    Options
    drazani wrote: »
    Id go by the nutrition label on the can also why are canned foods a big no no?

I'm guessing it's because of all the preservatives and salt in them that's not too good for your body. I don't really mind them though. But every time I mention canned foods on weight loss websites/etc, people start asking me why I'm eating those things at all. :/
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Canning is just a preservation technique, no need to be afraid of it. We have alternatives now with airfreight and the like but canning has a long pedigree.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    babycorns wrote: »
    Hi, I know canned foods are a big no-no

why?

• mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    I'm never giving up my baked beans! I buy Heinz baked beans here in Australia and there are no strange preservatives in it.
  • drazani
    drazani Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    yarwell wrote: »
    Canning is just a preservation technique, no need to be afraid of it. We have alternatives now with airfreight and the like but canning has a long pedigree.

This ^^ as long as you have a balanced diet and are getting all the macros and micros you need there are no bad foods
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with canned food at all. And definitely go with the label of the product, many of the entries are user added and are often wrong or from a different country/product.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,090 Member
    Options
    babycorns wrote: »
    Hi, I know canned foods are a big no-no but I allow myself some baked beans once in a while. I've been having the Salt-reduced Heinz Baked Beans for a while, but I'm a bit puzzled about the nutrition label on the can.

According to online calorie counters, 100 grams of ordinary baked beans are 155 calories. But on the can, it says around 91 calories for 100 grams of baked beans. That's quite a difference. I'm not sure how to count them into my daily intake now!

I am guessing the difference is because a 100g can of baked beans does not actually contain 100g of baked beans - it contains a total of 100g - part of which is the baked beasn and part is the sauce they are floating in.