loosing inches vs weight

gbklvr
gbklvr Posts: 84 Member
Hi all,
I started tracking my measurements and saw that I am looking inches but weight is the same. Anyone else experiencing that? Dealing with the psychological part of it. I feel like I am not doing it right.

Replies

• Same here. I am told that I'm not losing weight because muscle weighs more than fat. The inches coming off show that I'm doing something right
  • gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    edited October 2014
    Carry a scale with you so you can show people you are losing pounds -or-keep losing inches and let people really see how great you look. Not a choice for me. :)
  • SlimMe37
    SlimMe37 Posts: 133 Member
    I've read that a lot. I've lost a small amount of weight but I've also lost inches
  • zichab
    zichab Posts: 1,485 Member
    All the time now. I went shopping yesterday because my work slacks felt "big" and found out I am a size smaller in that brand. I have not lost a pound in a few months. I only check measurements once a month so when I got home, I checked a week early and sure enough another inch has disappeared from my hips and waist. I have no idea where they went since the scale did not see them, but I do not care either. They are GONE! Just stick with what you are doing, use the scale to make sure you do not slide into old habits, but do not let your self esteem be ruled by it. Smaller size clothes are so much more rewarding than a number on a scale. :bigsmile:

27715887.png
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    There are exceptions, but generally speaking, you're not losing significant amounts of fat unless you're also losing scale weight. Waist circumference and scale weight might progress and different speeds, and there may be periods of time where one measurement is moving more rapidly than the other, but they pretty much go hand in hand.

Anyone that is clearly 20+ lbs overweight that thinks they're going to "lose inches" their way to a healthy body is kidding themselves.
  • gbklvr
    Chief, so what's the ratio between them? How long do they differ in agreement? I weighed myself this morning and I lost .5 lbs which then I'll be told no big deal it's water.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    gbklvr wrote: »
    Chief, so what's the ratio between them? How long do they differ in agreement? I weighed myself this morning and I lost .5 lbs which then I'll be told no big deal it's water.

The issue here is that if you stay focused on the day-to-day type issues, you're going to get frustrated. Try to step back and look at the big picture. Think about where you're going to be in 3 months instead of whether you'll be a fraction of a pound lighter tomorrow.
  • gbklvr
    Makes sense! Thank you :)
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    I don't tend to lose inches and significant weight in the same week. One week I'll lose weight, the next week I'll lose inches. I'm glad the weight is coming down, but I like the inches more. The inches is what other people notice.
  • gbklvr wrote: »
    Hi all,
    I started tracking my measurements and saw that I am looking inches but weight is the same. Anyone else experiencing that? Dealing with the psychological part of it. I feel like I am not doing it right.

Try not to get fixated on the 'number' although I know this is easier said than done. And the scale is not necessarily for everyone. When I was still losing I could not weigh myself everyday as many suggests. I did it once a week because that's all my tiny brain can handle. :D

Have you tried the new pants pep?

Nothing is more encouraging than going into the shop and try on a pair of pants in a new size. Or try on your old pants & take a picture!

To visually SEE the progress that you have made may help balance the lack of progress on the scale. You just need to see your progress in a different way.

Best of luck!

• TasnimEz
    TasnimEz Posts: 280 Member
    edited October 2014
    I gained weight this week but lost 3 cm around my waist since I started logging 2 weeks ago... :D I don't trust the scale anymore..
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Same here. I am told that I'm not losing weight because muscle weighs more than fat. The inches coming off show that I'm doing something right

You can't gain muscle while in a deficit. Sometimes you lose inches without losing weight because weight loss is not linear and it will be reflected on the scale in a week or two. You cannot lose inches without losing weight if you are eating at a deficit. It's also possible that you're measuring yourself (inches) in a slightly different spot, or that you're tightening the measuring tape more. You can get an auto-tightening measuring tape on amazon for cheap.

My husband does bulk/cut cycles. He has stayed within 5 lbs of his starting weight and has lost several inches off of his waist. To do this, he had to eat an excess of calories while lifting progressively heavier weights. That added the muscle. Then he kept the lifting routine while cutting calories to drop fat. THAT was the inches lost. End result: muscle weighing more than fat covering his body. Same scale weight, different body composition.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    I went six months without losing any weight on the scale. But I lost fat & inches and dropped a full pants size during that time. Inches lost is far better than what the scale says in my book. Scale weight can go down without any real change in size or how clothes fit, but inches lost is a WIN and = smaller sizes and the BEST progress.

Love your tape measure, laugh at your scale. :D
  • sodakat
    sodakat Posts: 1,126 Member
    I lose weight first and eventually the measurements decrease. There is a definite lag for me. Also, sometimes my measurements "shift" a bit, for lack of a better description. My waist may have measured smaller 2 months ago than it did last month, but my butt may be smaller, then both areas will decrease again. I used to think my biggest area was around my belly just below my navel, with my area above my navel to just below my boobs being the smallest. Well, even though measurement-wise my body still has this same overall look, the difference isn't nearly as great since my lower belly area has decreased so much and now I feel like I'm heavier in the upper belly area. Very weird, considering I was the other way for so many years.

55835802.png