SQUATS

Options
I have recently started Strong lifts 5 by 5. I belong to a pretty nice gym a nice variety of free weights, equipment, cardio machines, and weight machines along with cable machines. I see quite a bit of people doing free weights, but very few at the squat rack. Like less than 10 percent. Just curious why? I am not complaining becouse I dont have to wait to use it. Just curious.

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    A lot of people have no clue what they're doing for one thing. A lot of people have never learned to actually do the basic compound lifts for another...and would rather waste a bunch of time doing arm curls and leg extensions and other isolation movements that are really meant to be accessory rather than foundational exercises.
  • patrickblo13
    patrickblo13 Posts: 831 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    My gym is the same way. We have a power cage and a squat rack and I never have an issue with using either. Lot's a Bro's working those Bi's though!

I think a lot of people are intimidated to squat or deadlift.
  • Cc215
    Cc215 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    When I first started going to my gym there was only me and one guy ever using the rack. Seems to have gotten busier lately - with other women. It probably is utterly unrelated - but I have decided to take it as I'm inspiring these women to try it out too. :smiley:

Although I do wish they would get out of there when I want to use it!!
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Don't say anything too loudly, they'll start using the squat racks for curls.

At my old gym, for a long time I was the only one using the squat rack (good thing because there was only one). Then, some more people started lifting (several did strong lifts), and that got to be problematic.

I changed gyms, and the squat racks are always busy even at 5:30am. I can usually get in, but they're rarely free for long. It's nice to see so many people squatting and deadlifting, but there are definitely a few who always do partial squats or in general use bad technique. Even saw one of those guys teaching his friend how to squat. :neutral_face:
  • idontcarroll
    idontcarroll Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    My gym is the opposite. There is always someone in the three racks we have.

You're lucky...don't waste time wondering.
    212019156 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I think there are a few reasons:
    1) a lot of men are only worried about training the visible parts of their upper body
    2) a lot of women think they will make their legs bulky
    3) people are afraid to do them
    4) they are hard to do (meaning a lot of people don't like to do difficult tasks)
    5) some people are afraid of making a mistake and looking stupid

There are other reasons why people don't squat, but these ones just came to mind.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    quadgasm wrote: »

Same at my gym..... :(

I hate when I can't get a rack.....
  • RHachicho
    RHachicho Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    Personally I think it's because the squat can be quite a problematic exercise for a lot of people. I do them. But in the end I am somewhat limited. Since I have a dodgy knee. I do a heavy 5x5 set but realistically sometimes I have to stop at set 3 or 4 because my knee just says no. The whole thing makes the exercise painful and awkward. So I can see how some people get put off. Squatting is also an exercise that can cause injury quite easily if the form is off. So a lot of people are intimidated by that or run accross injury trying to do it. I am kinda the exception I pushed through and learned to do a squat right with the help of a pt. But my knee is dodgy anyway and even if I squat right sometimes it gives.

I make up for it by doing a lot of machine work on my legs. And focusing on deadlifts and rows to strengthen my core back and legs. The squat is a great exercise. But it puts a decent amount of strain on multiple levering points in your body. And so is often worked around by those of us whose bodies are a bit worn down.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    A lot of people have no clue what they're doing for one thing. A lot of people have never learned to actually do the basic compound lifts for another...and would rather waste a bunch of time doing arm curls and leg extensions and other isolation movements that are really meant to be accessory rather than foundational exercises.

This. And because they are hard. People typically chose the path of least resistance, and squats require a lot of resistance.
    But I don't mind that no one else does them. It just means I have the rack to myself.
  • belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

This is funny becouse its true last night was my night at the rack doing my squats all 4 incline benches were taken up due to people doing curls.
  • Lofteren
    Lofteren Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    Take note of the people you see at the squat rack. I'll bet you see some impressive specimens squatting regularly. I'll bet you see some less than impressive specimens on the machines regularly. There's a reason.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    It also depends on the gym I'd say. My gym has a dedicated room for "heavy" lifting and compound lifts...it is generally a pretty happening room to be in. Conversely, the cardio machine area of my gym is rather small. The main room at my gym is largely dumbbells and other free weights and a handful of cable machines. There are a couple of other machines as well that are kind of tucked back into the corner...

Most people at my gym are into either body building or power lifting and most people I see at my gym use compound lifts (including squats) as the foundations of their routines...but my gym is also really, for the most part, a dedicated free weight facility. There's not a whole lot of other reasons to go to my gym other than to get your lift on.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Enjoy having the rack to yourself. Once people see how much weight you're pushing they'll all want in on it.
  • redfisher1974
    redfisher1974 Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    I have a smith machine in my home gym and love it for squats... Having had both my knees scoped this year I need to keep the weight light for a while.. Knees are feeling better every week.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    quadgasm wrote: »

me too.

we have 2 racks and 1 powercage- and there are days when every rack is taken for squats or OHP- and there are at least 3 people on the floor deadlifting.

be grateful and don't worry about other people.
  • Hadabetter
    Hadabetter Posts: 941 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    A lot of people don't go to the gym in order to be weight lifters, they are using weight training in order to improve performance in other sports. The best strategy for these folks is to devote most of their time training in their sport of choice, and then hit the gym to do isolation weight training in support of that sport.

Strong lifts 5 by 5 is a great program for weight lifters, but it wouldn't be my first choice for someone who is trying to be a better runner, swimmer, basketball player, discus thrower, etc, etc.
  • monkeyinasuit
    monkeyinasuit Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I found it varied by timing at my old gym-the lifters came out at night. The morning was pretty free and everyone was on the cardio machines. Of course when we bought our home, we moved to an area that had zero parking at the gyms and no good walkable options nearby-we bought our own treadmill and power rack for the cost of 2 annual memberships at our old NYC gym and the only person I compete with for time at the squat rack is my husband.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    Because they are hard.
  • dlvuyovich
    dlvuyovich Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    A few more minutes and I am off to do my pause squats and deadlifts, yay!

I was already excited for it to be 'that day' but now i'm even more stoked.

Thanks for all the posts on squatting.
  • Niff314
    Niff314 Posts: 113 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I'm using dumbells for my squats because I don't (yet) have access to the bar. My boyfriend is a powerlifter and some of the women he lifts with can squat over 350lbs (so awesome). I'm getting ready to join a gym with the proper equipment and a trainer to help me with my lifting. I'd never try the bar without guidance and a spotter, which is probably why most people have an aversion to them.

71717945.png