Fitbit users

Options
Hi,

I finally got a fitbit after a year. Guess I should've done my homework because I'm totally lost. Can somebody please help me? I see my steps/ calories burned but I haven't done anything but get dressed for work. Also my calories to eat are much higher than listed here on MFP. Any advice would be great.

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Calories burned includes your BMR, what your body burns every day just running itself. Check to make sure you're set to the same activity level and deficit.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    link your fitbit to MFP through the APPs bit

make sure you set both MFP and Fitbit to the same goals - best to set them both to sedentary as the fitbit will track your daily movement

log all your food on MFP - but pay no attention to the fitbit allowance for exercise it adds in until the next day

if you want to check how many calories you have left, over your basic allowance, to eat use the fitbit app for a better guideline

Log all your exercise on MFP over and above step-based stuff (if using MFP databse adjust calories to 50 - 75%)

Complete your diary the day after when the two have synched properly

that's what I have found has worked for me

over time you'll get an inkling of how much extra you will earn (for me 10K steps is between 350 and 450 calories dependent on the intensity)
  • brightsideofpink
    brightsideofpink Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Have you liked your FB to MFP? If you google that the instructions pop up rather quickly. I'm sorry I don't remember them. I think its MFP, devices. FB will show you the calories you burn during the day doing nothing more than existing. This will be most accurate if it knows your height, weight and gender. When you link to MFP, it will also know the activity level you set and it will account for any changes in activity beyond what your body burns just for existing- the BMR. When I walk or run, it counts those steps and does calculations- so many steps per minutes signals that I have run, and it will add calories burned based on my height/weight and pace. Sync often and it will give you an update when you exceed what MFP believes is your expected calorie burn at the setting you use. For example, I am set to sedentary. I'm on target for my h/w to burn something like 2100 calories per day as a sedentary person. When I exercise or take many steps, it signals that I have done more than is expected of sedentary and give an adjustment to MFP. I almost always get an adjustment, sometimes as little as 50 calories, sometimes as many as 700. I don't enter exercise in separately as most of my activity is step-based. I eat at least half, usually most of my additional calories back and am still losing weight as predicted by all of my settings. I hope this makes sense.
  • mzco14
    mzco14 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much !! I just set it up. Cheers to taming the fluff.