Any tips for a beginner runner?

Hi all,

I have been slowly playing with the idea of becoming a long distance runner. I started working out last year and running sporadically. I would do intervals of 2-4 minutes running and 2 minutes walking. Needless to say, I wasn't a runner.

Since then I have done a 5km race, and two 8km obstacle races. I've recently realized that I LOVE running. So I have begun to take it more seriously. It is starting to get cold so I have taken to the treadmill for the most part but still try an outdoor run when I can. I can run in total about 7kms (with some walking breaks). And I can run about 20minutes straight without needing a break.

I am just looking for any tips or advice from experienced runners as I continue my journey.

Thanks!

Replies

• lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Sounds like you are doing all of the right things. Just keep at it and you will see progress. The two biggest tips I can give you is to not worry about speed, it will come naturally with experience. Also, make sure you have good running shoes (go to a running store and have them give you a proper fitting) and ONLY wear those shoes for running. This is important to avoid injury because shoes wear differently when you walk in them vs. running.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    lporter229 wrote: »
    Sounds like you are doing all of the right things. Just keep at it and you will see progress. The two biggest tips I can give you is to not worry about speed, it will come naturally with experience. Also, make sure you have good running shoes (go to a running store and have them give you a proper fitting) and ONLY wear those shoes for running. This is important to avoid injury because shoes wear differently when you walk in them vs. running.

Yep. If you listen to nothing else at all, do these things ^^^

• RHachicho
    RHachicho Posts: 1,115 Member
    Get some musical accompaniment if you don't have some already. There is nothing like going off into your own little world in your head and then realizing later that you've just done must of your run without even really being aware of it. It's like free exercise lol. Oh and all of the above. Proper footwear is a must. Also heres a few tips about running stance.

1. You should attempt to strike the ground with the center of your foot.
    2. Try to rely on the muscles at the back of your legs for most of your running movement. Your quads should play a role but your calves and glutes should do the majority of the work. Rather than driving your body forward with the front of your legs. Try and pull your body forwards with the muscles at the back.
    3. Keep your head up! Keeping your back straight and your head facing forwards will stabilize your core. When your core is unstable it can't support your legs. Instead your legs have to support your wobbly core. And they will tire faster. If you find that you are drooping down and can't keep your head up long before you are "done" running then you need to do some core work in the gym.
    4. Pump your arms. People do this when they run for a reason. It helps to drive you forwards. Remember running isn't just about your legs. Your back, core and even your arms get involved in the motion too.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    lporter229 wrote: »

Yep. If you listen to nothing else at all, do these things ^^^

Agreed.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    In addition to the above......be consistent, train regularly (3 or 4 x weekly) and progress at a conservative pace. Most running injuries are caused by too much, too fast, too soon.

Depending on what your ultimate running goal is (and you will find that it's a moving target) don't try to jump from a 5K to a marathon, get some shorter races under your belt and then move to a 10K then a half-marathon (if you want to go that distance or longer) Each distance brings its own challenges and rewards and the more experience you get the less intimidating it becomes.

Most importantly.....have fun. Run every now and then without any gadgets, find some nice trails to run (if you have access to them) and just enjoy the scenery. As you can see from my profile pic I'm one of those idiots that runs outside all year 'round (it was about -30C when I ran this race), each season has something to offer.
  • amandarawr06
    amandarawr06 Posts: 251 Member
    Awesome advice guys!
    I will go and get some shoes for running only. And I will make sure I check my form tomorrow. Thanks again!