Best Heart Rate Monitors Which Also Calculate Distance

Options
Hi Everyone!
I can't seem to find my heart rate monitor, which was a Polar 4, pretty basic HRM. The only thing I didn't like about it, was that it didn't calculate distance. I'm not too worried about having a GPS function because I have mapmyrun app on my phone. The Polar brand offers HRMS with distance calculators but you must wear a foot pod on your sneaker. Anyone know of a decent priced (under $200) HRM that does both?
Thanks in advance! :)

Replies

• CdnRower
    CdnRower Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Over the years i've been tremendously disappointed with Polar watch products. Their HRMs are great, their watches are pure garbage unless you're in the $400+ models. So I ended up buying the H7 HRM with bluetooth and use it with my phone or tablet depending which activity i'm doing. No problems. I think I got the HRM for $80 on sale.
  • h7463
    h7463 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Hi!
    Check out the Polar H7. It will link to a smart phone by using the Polar Beat app, and it uses the GPS on my iPhone 4s. The accuracy of any GPS depends on the phone signals and your provider, though. Lucky for me, there are enough towers in the area, and I've tested it on the track and in the pool. It's been accurate within a couple yards.
    Shop around, the H7 is available online on sites other than Polar, and I've seen it for under $70. Make sure that your phone is a match.

Good luck!
  • JupeJones
    JupeJones Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Well, if you want it to measure distance and you don't want a footpod, you're going to need to get one with GPS. Those are the only two decent ways (that I know of) to measure distance, with GPS being what I prefer personally.

But if you're already carrying your phone and using mapmyrun, couldn't you use that for distance?

Anyway, check out the Garmin Forerunner 15.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    IMO, Garmin, Suunto, Polar, in that order. Just get the one that has the features you are looking for.

As for distance calculations, in most cases you'll be looking at either foot pods or GPS. I'm not aware of any other main stream options for distance.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    I like the Garmin Vivofit. You can buy a bundle that comes with an HRM for $169 on amazon.
  • Brunette122
    Brunette122 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your input! I tend to get lost in customer reviews, which is annoying. I wish I could just create my own! Each and everyone has pros and cons.
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    If you are using your phone GPS already for distance mapping, then why would you need to spend more for an HRM that can also measure distance? GPS is a more accurate than a foot pod and you would really only need to go with a foot pod if you are on a treadmill or indoors where GPS is not possible.
  • Brunette122
    Options
    I just hate bringing my phone with me on walks. I'd rather just have the watch. The Garmin Vivofit has everything I want, an HRM, an activity tracker, calcs distance, ....however the reviews aren't the best. JD have you experienced any issues with it? So there's a GPS in it as well?
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    Options
    I have a Garmin watch with chest strap and I love it. Mine is an older model, 305 I believe, but it's great for HRM, GPS, pace, etc.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    When reading reviews, keep in mind how subjective they are. Also, people are more apt to complain than to praise. So for every 1 complaint you read, assume there are 50 happy people not commenting.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    I just hate bringing my phone with me on walks. I'd rather just have the watch. The Garmin Vivofit has everything I want, an HRM, an activity tracker, calcs distance, ....however the reviews aren't the best. JD have you experienced any issues with it? So there's a GPS in it as well?

I haven't had an issues with my VivoFit. And no it does not have GPS. Sorry, I didn't see that you needed to have GPS. If you need GPS, the ForeRunner is probably your best bet.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    If you're looking for rock solid reviews of GPS devices check out dcrainmaker.com/

He's probably one of the most respected reviewers out there.
  • dazwan
    dazwan Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Why not get a garmin forerunner 15. GPS, HRM, pedometer, cheap as chips (at least as far as gps running watches go).

Saying that, if you run with your phone, why not invest in a bluetooth HRM, and just use the phone to do it all? something like runkeeper or Strava will record the run and integrate the HRM and GPS data into your run times (then you can analyse the hell out of your stats), plus a strap on its own is a lot cheaper than a new device + a strap.
  • dazwan
    dazwan Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    +1 for dcrainmaker BTW!
  • marx4
    marx4 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    You can also downloaded the "runkeeper" app for your phone, yes, it's a "second" thing to keep track of, but you can then program it to sync to your MFP exercise. What's better than F-R-E-E ?? :D
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    The only thing I didn't like about it, was that it didn't calculate distance. I'm not too worried about having a GPS function because I have mapmyrun app on my phone.

So you've got three options really; GPS tracker with an HRM, a device with a footpod or other type of pedometer, or a phone app with HRM integration. I note in a later post that you don't like carrying your phone, which pretty much removes that third option.

A vivofit, Fitbit or JAwbone type device is essentially a pedometer, so the same limitations as a footpod, and probably even less accurate anyway.

So that really leaves a GPS watch. Garmin are generally best, although I'd support the suggestions above about dcrainmaker.com. The low end devices would probably do the trick and cost about the same as a simple HRM anyway.

That said, you mention walking, in which case I'd question the value of an HRM. AS you mention an FT4 I assume you're using it for calorie guestimation? In which case I'd suggest that you just continue using your phone, and use the calorie guestimation in MapMyFitness. It's as inaccurate as anything else. Essentially if you're walking yuor HR never gets into the situation where the calorie count from an HRM is meaningful.
  • Brunette122
    Options
    wow that dcrainmaker website is legit! and thank you everyone!