anyone have a standing desk at work

Options
I'm interested in purchasing a standing work station as I work in an office 5 days a week for about 8 hours a day.

Does anyone have a standing work station? Is it adjustable? Also, would love to hear pros and cons about them with brand names if you have them!
Thx!

Replies

• titianwasp
    titianwasp Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Love standing - honestly I initially put my computer on an empty paper box, and my keyboard on a stack of manuals. If you do this a lot, consider getting one of those gel-type floor mats to stand on, as hard office floors can make your legs tired pretty quickly. The first few days were wearying, but eventually I was standing all the time.
    Since then I have added a tread-desk and a bike-desk. I alternate to prevent overuse injuries.
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,353 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I have one (that my company paid for). The brand is called Varidesk, it sits on top of your regular desk, and it is adjustable. I really like it a lot. I try to stand 4-5 hours during my 8 hour work period. I've found that I'm a lot less tired in the evening when I get home.

Edit to add cons: The Varidesk takes up a lot of space. It's not too much of a concern for me since we have a large amount of workspace in our cubes, but if you don't, you might want to look into some other brand. Other than that, I have zero issues with it.
  • blossomingbutterfly
    blossomingbutterfly Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    That sounds interesting. I'd love to have one at work to try out but I know that isn't going to happen. We all share work stations and they all have to be the same. It won't. But I do get up and move whenever I can.

I'd like to hear your feedback on it if/when you get one.
  • redromad275
    redromad275 Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    I have a varidesk as well and love it. It manually raises and lowers as you like. I can't say enough good stuff about it. It is an improvement over sitting all day.
  • momxs2
    momxs2 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Yes, I saw the Varidesk but noticed it looks a little small to me, I would need a larger desk to hold my files and spread out a bit with my paperwork.

But this is great feedback!! Glad to hear people like it as I've been sitting in an office chair for way too long!!!!!!!!

Thx all!
  • angela233Z
    angela233Z Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    seems i am the only one that doesn't like it. I have one that is adjustable and found that it tiring and did not burn enough additional calories for me to stand all day. I think it burns 30-40 additional calories an hour which I can burn by walking 5 minutes. For me personally I prefer just going for a daily walk. But I hope it works better for you!
  • Jeep_This
    Jeep_This Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    My old job I requested a standing desk for a year, and I finally got it (not adjustable). But it was because my duties really needed a standing desk, I did a lot of work at a filing cabinet, and the standing desk was extremely beneficial, I used to have to pull things from cabinet and have to bend over my old desk to work on it. But with the standing desk, I was able to work comfortably back and forth from the filing cabinet. There is nothing worse than leaning over a desk and looking at work. I also had a lot of movement, I would have to go to copier/printer/other people's area, and the up and down was getting to me.

With the new standing desk, I probably stood/moved a good 60% of the time. And I got a nice high rolling chair, that I was able to use it to sit comfortable at the desk for duties that required me to sit and concentrate on one particular duty.

But since then I got promoted. The girl who has my job, loves "my" standing desk. And I'm back to another sit down desk, but, I would not stand at my current position. I like sitting for what I do now. I make it a point to get up every so often to "run errands". Instead of calling people on the phone, I walk to their desk, etc. I don't think, nor do I want to stand at a desk for the things I do all day now.

In my opinion, if you are constantly up and down for the better part of your day, a standing desk is great. If most of your work is idle, I might think twice.

• akajakob
    akajakob Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I found this article in the news this morning if you want to check it out:

smh.com.au/small-business/trends/blogs/the-big-idea/i-quit-sitting-20141008-3hj1d.htmlhttp://
  • laurentapia
    laurentapia Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I have a a varidesk pro and I purchased the imprint standing mat on amazon. I've been using it for several weeks now and I love it. When I have to do something a bit more intense at work, I can easily lower the varidesk to desk level and sit for a bit if need be.
  • rrabe78
    rrabe78 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I've stood for several years and love it. At my last and now my current job I have cobbled together boxes and shelves to allow me to stand (most of the time, a girl has to sit some). Make sure if you go the homemade route that you are really careful with the ergonomics. My first desk needed tweaking because I was reaching too much and the mouse wasn't high enough, causing my carpel tunnel to flare. So- no reaching and make sure your monitor doesn't cause you a bad neck angle.
  • fannyfrost
    fannyfrost Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I had an keyboard tray that was adjustable. It went under the desk, could be even with the desk or could come up high enough so I could stand and work. Unfortunately was 3 and 1/2 years ago. I really really miss it. I stand when I work from home, putting the laptop on books and such. I also sit on a fit ball at home too.
  • gvhunterollie
    gvhunterollie Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I have had a standing desk for almost a year now. It is adjustable, but I have a tall chair, so I never move it, just stand or sit as needed. It has done wonders for my back, and I find myself fidgeting or stretching while standing and make a nice break in my work. Sorry, don't have a brand name handy. It is electric adjustable.
  • 13Strong
    13Strong Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    I'm contemplating making mine a standing desk. I can sit for long periods of time or be running around doing manual labor. They say standing desks are better for your posture...
  • benpoepen
    benpoepen Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I bought an ikea sit/stand desk. The new bekant. It's a full desk which can transform from sit to stand electrically. Love it