Afraid to exercise on 500 cal diet. . .

Options
I just recently had the gastric sleeve surgery and am lucky if I get 500 calories a day. I know I need to start exercising but I never know when my body will be able to handle more than just the every day activity. I have been able to go out dancing but then on other days I am not even able to clean house. Any thoughts/suggestions?

Replies

• lili61
    lili61 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Definitely talk to your doctor. Between such a limited caloric intake and recently having a pretty serious surgery, it may not be safe for you yet.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Only do what you can. The deficit alone will be enough lose weight, but I've dealt with gastric patients before and exercise HAS to be very light.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    I think that maybe at first you should focus more on weight training, and less on cardio. You will be getting healthy but not burning a ton of calories, which is good since you are only getting around 500 calories a day. And maybe if you want to do some kind of cardio, focus on something simple like walking?
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Why do you "need to start exercising"?
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    I just recently had the gastric sleeve surgery and am lucky if I get 500 calories a day. I know I need to start exercising but I never know when my body will be able to handle more than just the every day activity. I have been able to go out dancing but then on other days I am not even able to clean house. Any thoughts/suggestions?

The best suggestion is for you to talk to your treatment team about what you want to do. No one will be more qualified.

I know people who have had surgery and a year later did a 9 hour century on a bike in hilly terrain. I know others who have had surgery and refuse to get off their couch because they're always tired.

Talk to you treatment team.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »

this is the only legitimate and safe answer.
  • Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »

The best suggestion is for you to talk to your treatment team about what you want to do. No one will be more qualified.

I know people who have had surgery and a year later did a 9 hour century on a bike in hilly terrain. I know others who have had surgery and refuse to get off their couch because they're always tired.

Definitely. And I'd be curious as to what they say. I have a friend that is about to undergo surgery in ten days, and I've been trying to get as much information as I can so I can help her.

• PoesyP
    PoesyP Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I agree with talking to the treatment team, but if you're up on your feet you can't really go wrong with walking.
  • dearestbree86
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your input. My doctor has said I am OK to start exercising. I just don't know where to begin. I think I am going to start small and just do light walks around my house. I have a gym membership but am afraid of weight training because I do not know how to properly do it and am unable to afford a trainer which is what I would love. Someone to show me the ropes. For now, little walks will have to do.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    walking is never wrong- unless you have stitches in your foot.

Check out
    tarting strength,
    new rules of lifting
    strong lifts
    strong curves

all great beginner programs to get you moving and teach you the ropes.

starting light- esp on a light diet is a safe bet.
  • BoutThatBass
    Options
    If you're walking at home around the house, look up Leslie Sansone's "Walk Away the Pounds" videos on YouTube - they're very low impact, some of them do incorporate (really light, like 2 or 3 lb.) hand weights, and they're more fun than just pacing around on your own.