Let's be real...

Options

Replies

• sentaruu
    sentaruu Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    junk food. i love it. i usually have something "naughty" every day!
  • RHachicho
    RHachicho Posts: 1,115 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Yeah i am the same I just plain like the food. I wouldn't be able to live my life happily if I was never able to eat chocolate or ice cream or pretzels etc. Thankfully this I have enough self control that this is a minor blip and not a major problem.

I also actually like a lot of healthy foods quite a bit. Whenever I go for a run I literally obsess over the healthy food I'm gonna have once I get back in. I dangle it in front of myself like a mental carrot. Helps me get through the run lol.
  • ponycyndi
    ponycyndi Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    Stress, depression, being a picky eater, and living paycheck to paycheck.

^^^^this.

Also: perfectionism (I ate too much....then give up) and I don't like being told what to do.
  • Jlee197853
    Jlee197853 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Beer/alcohol. Usually when I start, I have too much, then get the double whammy of binge eating after!
  • DaFibble
    DaFibble Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Booze. It's not really holding me back, and it doesn't prevent me from working out or eating healthy. But drunk me really loves snacking.

An issue I have right now, too! I think I drink too much, too often. I enjoy it but my self-control goes out the window, both while being drunk and with the impact of a hangover. A problem I'm having with cutting down is that I almost always only drink when my wife does. She loves it and does not feel it is detrimental to her at all. When I say I'm not going to drink but she should go ahead its makes her feel guilty, but I don't want that!

Anyway, the fact I'm complaining about it shows how little I have to complain about.
  • Kontxesi
    Kontxesi Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Hmmm. I guess I have a few:

1. I was raised on computer games, and they'll always be one of my favorite things. I can easily go a whole day with my only movement being trips to the fridge and bathroom if I'm not careful.

2. When I'm with other people, I have a hard time not eating what they eat. Whether it's giving in when my boyfriend wants to go to a buffet instead of going home to cook dinner, or my mom offering to buy me something from the concession stand at a marching band competition.

3. I have narcolepsy, which renders me perpetually exhausted. A lot of times I decide I'm too tired to cook, or too tired to go to the gym/walk the dogs. This leaves me with a completely sedentary day fueled by sugary convenience foods.
  • Fitfully_me
    Fitfully_me Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    My biggest downfall when it comes to a healthy lifestyle is trying to do it all. I tend to get involved in a lot of things and sadly, I tend to put "me" on the back burner when there isn't time to do it all and something has to be cut. & by "me" I mean trading in the time I would exercise and cook meals for other things that need to get done...

So in essence, what gets in my way, is me.
  • Kellyfitness128
    Kellyfitness128 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    BEER. Haha, my major weakness. On top of the alcohol calories, I rarely work out the next day after a night of drinking, I sometimes overeat when I'm drunk, or I'll overeat the next day if I'm at all hungover. I've been good lately about not eating after drinking and trying to eat less on days I know I'm going to drink, and that seems to help.
  • sengalissa
    sengalissa Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Social events. So glad BBQ season is over! Potlucks... because I want to try everything.
    Now it's just birthday parties coming up but that's not too bad.

Other than that I am very strict right now and the progress motivates me.
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    ha! i can use profanity without being starred out
  • DeadsAndDoritos
    DeadsAndDoritos Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Being tired. Yesterday I was so exhausted, I skipped my class at the gym and ate snacks instead of preparing a healthy meal.

Alcohol. I enjoy a few drinks with friends now and then. I drink pretty quickly and don't like to sit there empty handed which means I can end up drinking more than I intend to. I try to tackle it by having a glass of water between drinks. The other effect of drinking is that I find it hard to resist the urge to get a kebab on the way home, plus having a kebab stops me being hungover so it is easy to justify it.

Wanting to be "normal". I envy people who seem to just maintain a steady weight without obsessing about it and I don't like those people to know that I am logging everything I eat. Sometimes I stop logging just so I can feel "normal", but I am starting to realise that that just doesn't work for me. I don't eat terribly, but I don't stop when I'm full so weighing my food is pretty much essential for me. I need to keep logging.
  • CarolynInDC
    CarolynInDC Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Portion control, stress and weekend eating. My husband and I love cooking, and thankfully 90% of it is healthy stuff... but I will have like twice the amount I should cause it's sooooo good! I also work full time, am in grad school, and my husband and I are opening up our own business selling salt-free spice blends (seriously... we are foodies)! We are social and have friends over or go over to friends' on weekends, so those meals hurt (both due to them not always being healthy and portion control). I admit, at first I thought it might be alcohol (mainly wine), but after two weeks of cutting down nothing shifted (phew!).
  • corofinlass
    corofinlass Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Portion control for me. I am getting quite the shock now that I am weighing food. I was easily eating x 3 what I should have been without realising it (new to logging and MFP).
  • MelanieRBrace
    MelanieRBrace Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I find the evenings are my biggest downfall. I can go all day with healthy eating and work out but then the evening comes and I want to snack on everything! It's not because I'm hungry, it's become (unfortunately) a habit. Alcohol is another one - which is why I'm doing the 2 weeks without alcohol challenge right now. I'm hoping this will help me through the bad habit of at least one of my downfalls.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    I love food way too much <3
  • fobs13
    fobs13 Posts: 1,080 Member
    Options
    LAH3001 wrote: »
    For me it's snacking at night. I go the entire day being very diligent about my healthy diet, but often when I get home from work, I'm tired and just want to relax, read a good book/watch a movie, and snack after dinner. It's a habit I acquired when I was younger and I have a hard time breaking it. Snacking = relaxation is a bad association to make.

This for me too. All my bad days have involved over snacking in the evenings. Find I have to sit down to watch TV/Read later so I don't snack until later so only have one snack per evening. Have to have at least one evening post dinner snack though.
  • refuseresist
    refuseresist Posts: 934 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Negative self talk 'Why bother' 'you'll never do it properly' 'you'll always be ugly' 'no one will notice if you change your body' 'you're crap at everything'
  • blabrecque_xo
    blabrecque_xo Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Caffeine is one of my biggest weaknesses. That and alcohol, still being newly 21 and all.
  • WMDemetree
    WMDemetree Posts: 3,923 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Eating healthy I have no problem. It's the exercise and workout that I cannot find motivation to do. When I had a workout buddy I was working out on a regular schedule. N now that he moved away, and I have no one, I am so slacking. Mainly after work I am tired, and in the morning I am in a rush. I guess I have to dedicate a certain time to do this and block it from my calendar and not let my busy social life get in the way.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    Tell me your biggest downfall when it comes to a healthy lifestyle? What gets in the way? What prevents you from eating healthy or working out?

I used to be a very clean eater and would be able to control cravings... that was when I was single. But you see, now I have a boyfriend (for the past 7 months) and granted he is very in shape, but he can get away with eating things that my body never has! But.. I still cave. "Can I have just one of your cheetos? or two... or three".. It's a hard habit to break. All those little things add up during a month and thus- no loss in fat. I will say I have put on quite a bit of muscle though- one of the great things about having a workout partner who truly pushes your weight lifting limits.

So, now that I was not only brutally honest with you all, but with myself... tell me, what's bringing you down (or lifting you up? :smile: )

If we're being real....and brutally honest. A couple of cheetos won't make you fat....or keep you from losing fat if you are under your calorie goal for the day. Also....odds are you have not "put on quite a bit of muscle" #1 - You are a woman....it is very difficult to put on substantial muscle without gear. #2 - Putting on substantial muscle is hard for everyone. You have to eat at a surplus and work hard. All of that said....My personal opinion is you look great. Don't beat yourself up over anything. Just do what you want to do to make yourself happy.