Orthorexia!

Options
2»

Replies

• SheGlows
    SheGlows Posts: 520 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Pretty sure I've struggled with this along with my binge eating disorder. I would binge on "clean" foods and gain more weight, too. It got so bad that at one point I would cry and have panic attacks over my food if it wasn't my idea of clean (I was paleo for 4 years). Now that I'm much more relaxed with my food and nothing is off limits, I haven't had a binge since and I feel better than ever.

On the other hand, now it's my mother who is on the verge of tears every time I eat something she doesn't deem as her idea of healthy, because I'm "poisoning my body" and "sending myself to an early grave." (Insert huge eye roll emoji here)
  • RHachicho
    RHachicho Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    Raynne413 wrote: »
    Kalikel wrote: »
    It was pretty common sensey. If you're crying over food, it's time to seek help. You don't need a degree to figure that out. :)

When they got to the part about the cruise, I thought, "I wouldn't avoid the cruise because of the food. I avoid cruises because I worry that the ship will sink and I'll be eaten by a shark."

I'll bet there is a name for my irrational fear, but I don't know it.

ETA: OK, I looked it up: Galeophobia. I'm not scared on the beach, though. That would be silly. ;)

My boyfriend refuses to go on a cruise because he swears we would get hit by a rogue wave. LOL

I hear "cruise" and I think "Titanic" :\

Haha modern cruise ships aren't anything like the titanic. I was on one where the stabilizers gave out in the middle of a huge storm in the bay of bisque. The ship was tilting 30 - 35 degrees left and right. Waves where crashing right up to the top floor. It scared the living *kitten* out of us. But we didn't sink. They did lose 10 grand worth of booze though because all of all the drink spills. They didn't even close the bar though. Nor did they call anyone to muster stations. Modern day cruise ships are pretty frikking solid. Not saying they are invincible. But you'll think omg were gonna sink long before there is any real danger.

• Jetta_C
    Jetta_C Posts: 58
    Options
    rjmudlax13 wrote: »
    Jetta_C wrote: »
    Sigh - everything has to be a "syndrome" now, doesn't it???

Since I practice CRON (calorie restriction w/ optimal nutrition) I get accused of this all the time. It gets tiresome. The people that have problems often have general anxiety and OCD issues in many parts of their lives. This is just how it manifests in diet.

As I try to explain to people who are suspicious of CRON, I am not "afraid" of food. I simply choose what I am willing to eat and probably have more self-control around that than the average person. Saying that is a "problem" is like saying people who, through saving and investments, accumulated a nice retirement have an "unhealthy obsession with money"--

But that is not what orthorexia is. No one (although there are always those few a-holes) is saying there is anything wrong with making a conscious effort to eat whole and healthy (as is high in micronutrients, fiber, etc.) food. Or that counting calories is bad.

It's when you are obsessed in finding the "perfect" and "cleanest" foods. Or when you feel a lot of anxiety or lack of enjoyment when going out to eat at a restaurant with friends. Or god forbid you realize that the juice you just drank has *gulp* high fructose corn syrup and you get all stressed out about it and feel guilty.

I am well aware that CRON is not the same as orthexia (I believe that was the whole point of my post but sorry if it did not come through clearly.) I was saying more as an explanation and perhaps a plea that, if you run into someone who follows nutrition closely, eats far fewer calories than you "think is healthy" and won't eat your birthday cake, don't slap a label on it as a "disorder".

And yes, there are lots of people here who do that...
  • RHachicho
    RHachicho Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    Basically

- Trying to eat healthy and nutritious foods most of the time = Healthy
    - Positiveley refusing to put anything you deem to be "impure" food in your mouth = unhealthy.

If you are freaking out because the restaurant meal you had today might contain some "chemicals" then that is a symptom of othorexia.

Not wanting to eat something that's full of trans fats and finding a moderate alternative is not a symptom of othorexia.

If you restrict dairy,gluten etc without any sane reason to do so. I.e just because people told you that they are bad. Then that is a symptom of othorexia.

If you restrict dairy, gluten etc when you have confirmed yourself to be allergic to them or respond badly then that is not a symptom of othorexia.

Need I go on?
  • rjmudlax13
    rjmudlax13 Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    RHachicho wrote: »
    Need I go on?

Nope. I think you got it.

Although, I would add that it really is more about your emotional response than your actions. So, ask yourself this question: If a coworker brought in doughnuts and you decide to have one, would you feel any kind of guilt or anxiety about eating one and obsess about all the "harmful" and "evil" cancer causing chemicals or would say "mmm that doughnut was delicious and I'm glad I treated myself today. I will log it and move on with my life." Also, on the other end of the spectrum would the doughnut set off a binge? This is basically the same issue.
  • Grankakes
    Grankakes Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    my sister in law is a lifetime WW member. she's maintained for about 25 years now. good for her. but she drives me insane with making faces and 'I wouldn't dare eat that' because of fat content. she is a OCD fat-free. I have yet to convinced her that some stuff just doesn't taste right with fat-free cream cheese, fat-free butter, etc. LOL!
  • helenarriaza
    helenarriaza Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    My partner's cousin is tearing the family apart, turns out she's celiac and she's been forcing out the family to eat gluten free, absolutely despises anyone who talks/eats/smells/thinks of fast food and since her father was diagnosed with cancer (he has his special diet by a doctor and is on remission) she is incredibly paranoid that ANY TYPE OF FOOD will give you cancer.

Her birthday was a couple of days ago, she invited the whole family and we had to munch that awful tasting (but healthy!) meals. No salt, no gluten, no sugar, no oil, no spices, raw, organic, etc etc.

The whole family got sick.
  • helenarriaza
    helenarriaza Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Also there's this girl at work who thinks that anything (water too, mind you) makes her sick and proves it by vomiting everything and eating an awful smelling fish+onion+garlic puree 3 times a day.

She's on therapy, since her stomach cannot retain food now from provoking vomit so much.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    RHachicho wrote: »
    Basically

- Trying to eat healthy and nutritious foods most of the time = Healthy
    - Positiveley refusing to put anything you deem to be "impure" food in your mouth = unhealthy.

If you are freaking out because the restaurant meal you had today might contain some "chemicals" then that is a symptom of othorexia.

Not wanting to eat something that's full of trans fats and finding a moderate alternative is not a symptom of othorexia.

If you restrict dairy,gluten etc without any sane reason to do so. I.e just because people told you that they are bad. Then that is a symptom of othorexia.

If you restrict dairy, gluten etc when you have confirmed yourself to be allergic to them or respond badly then that is not a symptom of othorexia.

Need I go on?

Nope, that's about it!

Eating healthy foods is a good idea. Crying or having panic attacks over food - not a good idea.

Skipping dairy because it bloats you and gives you diarrhea - okay. Skipping dairy because it's not on your Diet That Cures Cancer? Stupid. And crazy.

If you're crying about food - for any reason! - call a therapist.

Duh.