Mayo Alternative

Options
Hi All!~

I find any type of "salad" sandwich really delicious and keeps me full for a long time. That's what I've been doing for lunch lately. Ex: chicken, egg or tuna salad.

I am currently using Hellman's Light Mayo (I think its approx. 90 cals for 2T) but I want to save on those 90 cals if I can! I can't stand avocado so I'm thinking about trying plain Greek yogurt to "glue" the sandwich stuff together and give it the creamy texture I'm looking for.

Has anyone tried this before? How did it turn out? I welcome any suggestions! :)

Replies

• knitapeace
    knitapeace Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    I think even plain Greek yogurt might be a little too runny, depending on the brand. You can strain it again and make it even thicker, more like a creamy cheese. I like Hellman's Chipotle Mayo but I think it has about the same calories that you quoted above.
  • LeonCX
    LeonCX Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    Elmer's glue has no calories.
  • nickatine
    nickatine Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    stick with the light mayo but only use one tablespoon

• kikontx
    kikontx Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I use plain greek yogurt and don't have an issue with the consistency although I do mix it with mashed avocados to create the salad base. The yogurt itself reminds of sour cream in both consistency and taste.

Why don't you buy a single serve plain greek yogurt and give it a try. You can typically find it for a $1 or cheaper for the store brand. Calorie wise, a 6oz container is about 100 calories so you can definitely cut the calories over using mayo.

Greek yogurt also has more protein so if you are looking to boost those numbers that would be a side benefit.
  • KameHameHaaaa
    KameHameHaaaa Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    I love using greek yogurt, yellow mustard and paprika in my salad sandwiches :) I haven't used mayo in probably six months and I don't miss it.
  • bkthandler
    bkthandler Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    My favorite lunch place uses a mixture of low fat mayo and low fat yogurt and it's wonderful.
  • shannonshay1
    shannonshay1 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Laughing cow cheese triangles are great on sandwiches.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Hellman light mayo is 35 calories for 15g. It's what I use, with some mustard, typically.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    I've been making coleslaw with 1/2 mayo, 1/2 Greek yogurt and it tastes fine. The Hellman's Balsamic mayo has fewer calories than the regular and tastes yummy.
  • kaspatore
    kaspatore Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Heluva Good makes greek yogurt dips that are 40 cals for 2 tbsp. The Fire Roasted Vegetable one is DIVINE! WAY better than mayo in my opinion.

+1 for laughing cow cheese, too.
  • Rhumax67
    Rhumax67 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Try Veganaize. Tastes good, believe it or not. 60 cal per tbl for the light one.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    You could also try using less and rolling it up in a wrap to make up for the lack of sandwich glue.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    For tuna salad I use light (Miracle Whip) and pickle relish. The relish gives it extra moisture.

Mustard & mayo are great mixed together. It helps me use less because it's a stronger flavor.

Greek is great as a sour cream substitute. Not so good on a sandwich (IMO). Adding other flavors would help.
  • LeonCX
    LeonCX Posts: 862 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Greek Tzatziki sauce. A little greek yogurt, a few drops olive oil and lemon juice, dill, garlic, minced onion and minced cucumber. That's it. Probably 20 calories or less per tbsp.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Mustard. It's tastier anyway.
  • LifeOnMars_
    LifeOnMars_ Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    mustard, avocado, low cal salad dressing, olive oil, pesto, hummus, cottage cheese, yogurt
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    Miracle Whip Light is 20 cals per tablespoon.
  • phelpsmolly
    phelpsmolly Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    +1 for Laughing Cow light swiss cheese wedge. I use on sandwiches and find I don't need a condiment. I think greek yogurt would work just great too!
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    Use half the mayo you're currently using and add some mustard (whole grain, dijon, yellow, etc.) for a different flavor and less calories.
  • habit365
    habit365 Posts: 174
    Options
    I've tried a lot of the above suggestions and usually end up back at just using mayonnaise in the smallest quantity I can stand because of flavor/texture issues. It would be interesting to try squishing up some garbanzo beans as an add-in. It might help with the creamy but not with the glue part.