No muscle soreness = no impact?

Options
Hi - This may be an odd question - If I do strength training and I'm not sore afterwards, does that mean I did not do enough?

I have quite a bit of weight left to lose, and I've been working out 5 days per week. 3 days are cardio (Zumba classes), 1 is abs/step aerobics and the other 1 is a cardio/sculpt class.

Last night I had the cardio sculpt and I expected to be sore - it was quite a work out and I used heavier weights and really pushed myself. But no soreness today. Is this a good thing or do I need to intensify? I definitely feel it during the work out.

Replies

• _benjammin
    _benjammin Posts: 1,224 Member
    Options
    Muscle soreness is not an indicator of a good workout. Sounds like you've been doing lots of good workouts! Keep it up!
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    How did you feel right after the workout? Also Soreness does not dictate effectiveness for workouts.
  • lili61
    lili61 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I have plenty of really challenging lifts/workouts where I'm not sore afterward. I'm typically only sore after starting a new phase of a workout, doing exercises that my muscles aren't used to.

As long as you are feeling as challenged during your workouts as you'd like to be, don't worry about it.
  • LiveLoveLift67
    LiveLoveLift67 Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    Muscle soreness will usually come when doing something your body is not used to. Upping the intensity or weights or doing something different. Just because you arent sore does not mean you didnt have an effective workout. Your body is probably just used to what you are doing with it each time. I can work my abs till the cows come home but, they are so used to be worked they are rarely sore now.
  • Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    I don't usually get "sore" anymore. It's more like a dull and faint ache a day or two later. While I'm keeping with my routine, I don't notice it very much if at all. Basically soreness or no soreness means nothing.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Agree with the rest...the only time I get sore is if I take a week off with no lifting at all...I will feel it for about 3 days after my first workout.
  • SweatLikeDog
    SweatLikeDog Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    The purpose of strength training is to get strong. If you're getting stronger, it doesn't really matter if you're sore or not, just add more weight as necessary to keep it challenging.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    It may just mean that you are properly cooling down and stretching afterwards. How often do you up your weights? Are you following a schedule or just winging it?
  • fallingwave
    fallingwave Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Thanks all! :) I really appreciate all of the good feedback.

I mostly do cardio but every Monday I have the cardio sculpt class which uses weights and resistance bands and I definitely challenge myself and increase weights every few classes. Also on Saturday I do some of the machines.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    Saturday I was lifting for high volume at around 90% of my 1RM on bench. No DOMS.
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    I rarely get sore after a heavy weight workout. I tend to get sore after body weight workouts, especially high rep lunges, push ups, and sit ups.