33% body mass reduction, 65 lbs gone in 9 months

Options
dopeysmelly
dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
I don't have many (any?) photos (I'm just not a selfie kinda person), but thought I'd include my weight chart instead, because a few people have asked me about it.

I started tracking using a spreadsheet, because the charting is powerful and flexible, and I found that including factors such as TOM, helped me understand what was normal for me, and so took out a load of the stress of whether a fluctuation or stall was something to be concerned about or not. The gaps in the chart are generally business trips (food, booze, limited exercise, jetlag etc).

I started out on 1200 calories (I'm 5'2.5", 42 years old). I didn't know any better, it's what MFP told me, and honestly, I had a load to lose (BMI started at 34.4, now 22.5) and it was motivating to lose a lot up-front. I didn't do any exercise beyond shoveling snow.

I gradually increased my calories with time (I'm up to 1600 now), but with time started focusing more on getting sufficient protein, fat and fiber. I aim for 100g protein, 50g fat, 35g fiber minimum. I don't worry about carbs, sugar etc., but I eat a largely whole foods diet with limited processed foods. Yes, I eat out and eat what I want, but in moderation, and I don't bother logging on those occasions (life's too short, and I'd rather focus on the company).

I started exercising about 4 months in, just with a daily walk, working up to 1hr a day. I only did it because I enjoyed it and it helped my back and shoulders loosen up. I never bothered eating back calories since I found the burn estimates unrealistic.

Now I've hit the upper limit of my target weight, I'm aiming to slow things down a lot by increasing calories, and just losing the last 5-10 lbs through an exercise-induced deficit. My reward for meeting my weight loss milestone was to join my local Y (and get a Garmin Vivofit and HRM), and I work out 2-3 times a week. I've just had knee surgery to clean up a meniscus tear, but in a couple of months will start running, something I've not done since high school. Since losing the weight I have a huge excess of energy, and I need an exercise which burns energy quickly because I can't spend all day walking.

The fitness part is far more exciting to me than the weight loss part. Improvements to your fitness are limitless (you can always run faster, further, more efficiently, or lift heavier, or in different combinations, or using different positions), but your weight loss is always going to be finite and have an end. I already have July 4, 2015, in my calendar for my first 5K race, and the feeling I get when I look in the mirror at the gym and see fabulous, defined (dare I say it, sexy?) biceps is pretty amazing, and leaves even me lost of words..

My diary is open. If you have questions, just friend me.

Replies

• keefmac
    keefmac Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Good work, that's a big loss in 9 months and you look great!.
  • denise31992
    denise31992 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Very impressive :smile:
    Congratulations on all your success.
  • TossaBeanBag
    TossaBeanBag Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Wow! I am the same age, and your story is inspiring. Thanks for sharing.
  • mrseveland
    mrseveland Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Love this post!
  • IILikeToMoveItMoveIt
    IILikeToMoveItMoveIt Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Cheers! Great Job!
  • Tuliper1
    Tuliper1 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Very proud to be your friend! You continue to encourage and inspire me! Sounds hackneyed, but true!
  • stacyjh1979
    stacyjh1979 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Great job, your story is very motivating! I didn't realize you were the same height as me. You know you must be thin if you look tall in a picture at 5'2.5" lol :wink: You give me hope!
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys.

I went into the office today, which has the only decent mirror I have access to and I nearly choked. I look like a different person! No wander everyone does double-takes and stares at my collarbones (now they're actually visible some of the time - I'd forgotten I had them..)
  • MrsATrotta
    MrsATrotta Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    awesome job!!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!