Paleo Diet/Way of Life

Options

Replies

• neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    vtroys wrote: »
    -Get the cookbook - Against All Grains. It's fabulous!
    - I totally believe in the what Paleo is all about. I'm 98% Paleo. If I have a ceasar salad with chicken, I may sprinkle 1 Tbs of parm chez on it but I skip the crutons. If I really crave a glass of milk once a week, I drink it. I do my very bust however to stay away from grains, processed foods and sugars.
    - I just plan meals with protein and 2 veggies instead of 1 starch and 1 veggie. You'll get the hang of it.
    - I'm not a huge veggie lover but have found salads during the day great and roasted veggies (broc, caulf, peppers, green beans) a great alternative, especially if you roast with garlic too!
    - I incorporated this gradually over a week....I didn't pull everything and go cold turkey.

Good luck!

Peppers are a nightshade and not Paleo. Green beans are a legume and not Paleo.

But this seems to be pretty common, from what I've seen on these boards. Eating paleo, but not really. Which is fine. I imagine that is true of any restrictive diet.

Palaeolithic people ate legumes.

And peppers may be native to the Americas, but the first humans in the Americas had an upper palaeolithic level of technology, and therefore you can't say that any edible plant native to the Americas wasn't part of any palaeolithic diet.

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    why not just eat at a moderate calorie deficit and move/work out more? Paleo is not some magical diet that is going to cure all your problems...

how is this helpful?

so you are saying it is not helpful to tell the OP to just create a calorie deficit and get a moderate amount of exercise????

what is more reasonable; 1) create a calorie deficit, restrict nothing, and work out/move more; 2) try to replicate a way of eating that has been extinct for over 10,000 years...?

i would say try to replicate a way of eating that has been around for over 10,000 years, not extinct. it is only in the very recent history of people that we have started eating overly processed foods, grains, etc. and have gotten extremely obese as an american culture.

In for when @neandermagnon shows up to school everyone of what the paleolithic diet actually consisted.

thanks @auddii

it depends which palaeolithic populations... the palaeolithic era spans more than 2 million years and several different species of human

lower palaeolithic diets involved raw meat, especially brains and bone marrow, seeing as the first stone tools were made to extract those things from animal carcases. I'd guess that they probably also ate insects and various edible plant parts and fungi.

middle palaeolithic diets saw the introduction of cooked food. But probably still included insects, edible plant parts and edible fungi

BTW edible plant parts would include wild wheat and wild legumes

BTW #2 - wheat has been cultivated for 10,000 years, and the first neolithic people didn't just suddenly wake up and say "I know, let's take this plant that *no-one's ever eaten before* and start growing it in large quantities and depending on it to get through the winter"...... which means that wheat consumption (and the consumption of other grains) actually dates back even further

BTW #3... I recently read about scientific research that showed neanderthals ate some kinds of grains. They went extinct (the neanderthals, not the grains) 28,000 years ago, so that clearly pushes back the consumption of grains to way earlier than 10,000 years

BTW #4... post-agricultural societies have been eating grains in large quantities since pretty much the invention of agriculture as that seems to be one of the earliest forms of agriculture............. but none of them got fat until recent decades, because they had to do exercise to get their food, which is the same reason why hunter-gatherers are not fat (they too have to do exercise to get their food)... modern western people can sit on their fat arses and have food delivered through their living room window while they never leave the sofa if they so will..... and people wonder why there's an obesity epidemic.

neander for the win again!
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    - I totally believe in the what Paleo is all about. I'm 98% Paleo. If I have a ceasar salad with chicken, I may sprinkle 1 Tbs of parm chez on it but I skip the crutons. If I really crave a glass of milk once a week, I drink it. I do my very bust however to stay away from grains, processed foods and sugars.
    - I just plan meals with protein and 2 veggies instead of 1 starch and 1 veggie. You'll get the hang of it.
    - I'm not a huge veggie lover but have found salads during the day great and roasted veggies (broc, caulf, peppers, green beans) a great alternative, especially if you roast with garlic too!
    - I incorporated this gradually over a week....I didn't pull everything and go cold turkey.

Good luck!

But this seems to be pretty common, from what I've seen on these boards. Eating paleo, but not really. Which is fine. I imagine that is true of any restrictive diet.

And peppers may be native to the Americas, but the first humans in the Americas had an upper palaeolithic level of technology, and therefore you can't say that any edible plant native to the Americas wasn't part of any palaeolithic diet.

I was refering to the diet, not the people, since the thread is about the diet.

• neandermagnon
    Options

Good luck!

the meaning of "paleolithic diet" is the diet that was eaten by palaeolithic people. there is no other sane meaning of "palaeolithic diet" - so you can't talk about palaeolithic diets without talking about the food eaten by palaeolithic people.....
  • vtroys
    vtroys Posts: 16
    Options

Good luck!

because caveman for sure had caesar salads....LOL

Told you, I'm 98%! :) Maybe I'm less after reading all of your posts. I ate a ceasar chix salad last night and ait 1 Tbs Chez and I lost .8 lbs yesterday after eating well, no grains and spinning for 1 hr at the gym. I'll keep doing what I do I guess....maybe I'm Paleo like, but not exact. LOL
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

Good luck!

the meaning of "paleolithic diet" is the diet that was eaten by palaeolithic people. there is no other sane meaning of "palaeolithic diet" - so you can't talk about palaeolithic diets without talking about the food eaten by palaeolithic people.....

Yes, I do think that. We all know there is a diet out there named the Paleo Diet. I can talk about it if I want. You can poo-poo my doing so if you want. Such is the internet.
  • neandermagnon
    Options

Good luck!

Yes, I do think that. We all know there is a diet out there named the Paleo Diet. I can talk about it if I want. You can poo-poo my doing so if you want. Such is the internet.

I'm not poo-pooing you. I'm pointing out that this diet that calls itself the "paleo" diet has no basis whatsoever in palaeoanthropology. The way the diet is marketed is extremely dishonest. It says you're supposed to eat like a caveman/palaeolithic person/your ancestors - then the actual diet that you're told to eat bears no resemblence to that eaten by any actual palaeolithic people.

If you're fine following a diet based on pseudoscience that's up to you, but if you discuss it on a public forum (or any other diet based on fairy tales and myths) then you can expect people to come into the threads and state that, mostly because they care about people basing their dietary choices on correct information rather than myths and pseudoscience.
  • tracylbrown839
    tracylbrown839 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    syren527 wrote: »
    Maren8675 wrote: »
    I'm just waiting for someone to write a book on the "peasant diet." Where you can eat all the bread and vegetable soup you want! Just don't eat fruits, meats, or dairy because peasants couldn't afford that kind of stuff back in the 17th century.

My kinda diet!! LOL I, for one, am totally into trying the Paleo diet even if it's temporary because I'm used to eating nothing but processed foods. It's not the deficit that we are focusing on with the diet it's the quality of what we are eating. If you're not into it fine you don't have to but we are looking for guidance from people who ARE trying it.

Exactly!! I have had a really bad habit of not sticking to my diet when I am doing a calorie deficit and exercising. I am looking for a lifestyle change not a diet. I know this will be hard but I have to do something.

There is a fundamental flaw with both of these statements. The first is the word "temporary" . Temporary measures lead to... temporary results, and you really have to be aware of this.

This is not to say that I don't think you should try a Paleo style of eating, if it appeals to you. Go for it!! But no matter what diet style is adopted, success IS dependent on your ability to create long term and permanent change in your dietary and activity habits.

The very unfortunate statistic is that 80% of all people who lose weight, put the weight back on within a relatively short period of time - a couple of years. This is reality. It's important to be aware of reality - not in order to bring you down - but to realize, fully, that "habits" are difficult to change.

And that's what's contained in the second post - the word "habit". Dietary patterns are just that - "habits" - changing them requires conscious effort, over time, - forever! Because the real truth of the matter is - health and well being and attention to those things simply does not ever end..... even for people of normal weight. (So, because it's Paleo - it isn't going to magically change your "habit" of not sticking to a diet style or plan that you set out. This is what you actually have to address - no matter what diet style you choose.)

I don't want you to construe my post as being negative nor pessimistic. I am both a realistic and optimistic person by nature. Part of being successful means meeting reality head-on, and grasping what needs to be done - on an ongoing basis. From this respect, Paleo - just like any other diet - will only yield results if what you consume, calorie-wise, is less than what you expend. No diet style is "easy", per say. Losing weight, maintaining weight, eating nutritious foods (which usually means cooking and not eating out of package of some type) is "work", creating good eating habits is "work". There is absolutely no "magic" answer.

So, even though you may feel that this thread has been rather negative, rather than a string of posts praising this particular diet style, people have offered their honest responses and sighted what they believe the potential pitfalls are.

I do know some people who have successfully lost weight eating in a Paleo style and have maintained their weight loss for a considerable period of time. So, there is no doubt, if you choose this style, are able to stick with it, and if eating this way creates a calorie deficit - you'll lose weight.

As for processed food in general - almost all good diet styles limit or eliminate highly processed foods - and favor fresh vegetables and fruits (some in more moderation than others). In this respect, Paleo is not remotely unique at all.

I wish the best to you both. I'm sure, in fact, there's probably a Paleo community here that would be worth joining to provide specific support and advice on day to day questions.

• Need2Exerc1se
    Options

Good luck!

I'm not poo-pooing you. I'm pointing out that this diet that calls itself the "paleo" diet has no basis whatsoever in palaeoanthropology. The way the diet is marketed is extremely dishonest. It says you're supposed to eat like a caveman/palaeolithic person/your ancestors - then the actual diet that you're told to eat bears no resemblence to that eaten by any actual palaeolithic people.

If you're fine following a diet based on pseudoscience that's up to you, but if you discuss it on a public forum (or any other diet based on fairy tales and myths) then you can expect people to come into the threads and state that, mostly because they care about people basing their dietary choices on correct information rather than myths and pseudoscience.

I don't care whether cavemen ate this way or not. The diet is not science based because there is no science to back up the claims that things like beans and tomatoes and peppers and corn and grains are bad for us humans.

If cavemen thought they were, they were wrong. If dudes writing books and blogs think they are, they are wrong.
  • neandermagnon
    Options

Good luck!

I don't care whether cavemen ate this way or not. The diet is not science based because there is no science to back up the claims that things like beans and tomatoes and peppers and corn and grains are bad for us humans.

If cavemen thought they were, they were wrong. If dudes writing books and blogs think they are, they are wrong.

if cavemen thought they were what? They just ate whatever was edible that grew or could be caught where they lived

why are you following a diet that you know isn't based in science?
  • ndj1979
    Options

Good luck!

if cavemen thought they were what? They just ate whatever was edible that grew or could be caught where they lived

I think you all are actually agreeing with each other...
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options

Good luck!

If I recall correctly, Need2Exerc1se isn't paleo. And they've spoken out against the Paleo diet (as it's popularized in Western media) both here and in other threads in the past.

• Need2Exerc1se
    Options

Good luck!

If cavement thought the things I mentioned above were bad for us to eat.

Why do you think I'm following a diet?

• neandermagnon
    Options

Good luck!

If I recall correctly, Need2Exerc1se isn't paleo. And they've spoken out against the Paleo diet (as it's popularized in Western media) both here and in other threads in the past.

oh, okay, my mistake. Was just pointing out that there's no rational reason to exclude peppers from being considered as part of any palaeolithic diets as there were palaeolithic people living in the Americas. The whole diet is a nonsense anyway. If someone has food allergies/intolerances they only need to give up the food they're allergic/intolerant to. And as I said there's no basis for it in palaeoanthropology
  • neandermagnon
    edited October 2014
    Options

Good luck!

thought you were because you were telling someone peppers and legumes are not "paleo".
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

Good luck!

thought you were because you were telling someone they couldn't eat peppers and legumes.

No worries. Actually, I told them those things weren't Paleo (diet) after they had suggested they eat 98% paleo and then used a meal example that contained the dreaded legumes and nightshades.
  • neandermagnon
    Options

Good luck!

thought you were because you were telling someone they couldn't eat peppers and legumes.

No worries. Actually, I told them those things weren't Paleo (diet) after they had suggested they eat 98% paleo and then used a meal example that contained the dreaded legumes and nightshades.

that's cool... well by my definition it's not paleo unless you hunted or gathered it yourself from the wild using only palaeolithic technology.
  • kloco
    kloco Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    My crossfit gym has a paleo challenge every couple of months where we eat a strict paleo diet -- They outline what foods we can or cannot eat, but most of us know what is on the paleo diet and what isn't.

After my first Paleo challenge and along with MFP, I realized that the REAL key was making your food and planning your meals. Try to shop on the perimeter of the grocery store and that's basically Paleo -- "clean eating".
  • tracylbrown839
    tracylbrown839 Posts: 84 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    kloco wrote: »
    Try to shop on the perimeter of the grocery store and that's basically Paleo -- "clean eating".

That is NOT basically Paleo.

I shop from the perimeter of the grocery store and I eat many, many, many things that are Not Paleo.

In fact, here's a list of foods, which most dieticians, health professionals and physicians would all consider quite nutritious.... but they are NOT Paleo

Chickpeas, snowpeas, sugar snap peas, green beans, sweet potatoes, squash, beets, yams, navy beans, lima beans, black beans etc. etc. and even peanuts are a no-no (yes, peanuts are not Paleo - they are a legume)

Lest we forget oats, barley, yogurt.

And do we want to talk about fruits??? Like no, no, no bananas.

And of course some of the other things that you just "might" want to have from time to time - a touch of cream in your coffee... dare I say "a little sugar in your coffee" or maybe a bit of artificial sugar (yuk, anyway)

or.... maybe a beer on a Friday night???
    or maybe a glass of wine...

So, you can ditch or reduce or even eliminate "highly processed foods" and focus on eating whole foods and fresh food and that doesn't make you Paleo.

• ndj1979
    edited October 2014
    Options
    kloco wrote: »
    Try to shop on the perimeter of the grocery store and that's basically Paleo -- "clean eating".

That is NOT basically Paleo.

I shop from the perimeter of the grocery store and I eat many, many, many things that are Not Paleo.

In fact, here's a list of foods, which most dieticians, health professionals and physicians would all consider quite nutritious.... but they are NOT Paleo

Chickpeas, snowpeas, sugar snap peas, green beans, sweet potatoes, squash, beets, yams, navy beans, lima beans, black beans etc. etc. and even peanuts are a no-no (yes, peanuts are not Paleo - they are a legume)

Lest we forget oats, barley, yogurt.

And do we want to talk about fruits??? Like no, no, no bananas.

And of course some of the other things that you just "might" want to have from time to time - a touch of cream in your coffee... dare I say "a little sugar in your coffee" or maybe a bit of artificial sugar (yuk, anyway)

or.... maybe a beer on a Friday night???
    or maybe a glass of wine...

So, you can ditch or reduce or even eliminate "highly processed foods" and focus on eating whole foods and fresh food and that doesn't make you Paleo.

added sugar…gasps…!!!! Oh heavens no….

wait, cavemen did not sit in the cave slugging down bud lights???