Right Amount of Calories?

Options
Hello Everyone!

So, I've just recently joined MFP and I'm struggling already. I find that I'm hungry through out the day, and then in the evening as well. How do I know if I'm eating enough calories? I'm suppose to be set for the 1200 mark. Is this enough?

Thanks in Advance

Replies

• shadowofender
    shadowofender Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Without your stats it's impossible to know.
    Age height weight.
    How many pounds per week do you have it set to lose?
    If you're hungry all day you're likely not eating enough.
  • actonangels1
    actonangels1 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Oops! Sorry. See, very new to this. Didn't realize you would need to know that information.

Okay, here goes nothing...

Age - 42
    Height - 5' 1"
    Weight - 205 lbs

I believe it's set for 1.5 lbs per week.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    If you are happy with your weekly goal weight loss stick with the 1200, but that is without exercise, on days you exercise eat those cals back.
  • maddy1900
    maddy1900 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Picking the right foods is important. High fiber foods and proteins help to make you feel full and stay with you longer. If your a grazer try having bowls of fresh vegetable in the frig. Things like celery, carrot sticks, broccoli, cauliflower, cucumbers, and peppers are nutritional and low in calories.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    With your stats, even if you don't exercise, you should be eating about 1550 calories a day for a 20% reduction from your TDEE, which is 1957 (again, with no exercise). If you do exercise, it would be more than that. Your BMR is 1631, meaning that's how many calories you'd burn each day while lying in a coma.

In other words, eat more!
  • blossomingbutterfly
    blossomingbutterfly Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    I have a hard time staying under 1700 some days! And my goal is 2040 each day, heh.

It can be that it's too low, but to be honest, I can't see how anyone can survive on just 1200 a day. Maybe I'm not far enough into my weight loss journey to see it yet.

I've been trying to eat more fiber to help with hunger and staying full longer. I find that's useful.
  • actonangels1
    actonangels1 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    With your stats, even if you don't exercise, you should be eating about 1550 calories a day for a 20% reduction from your TDEE, which is 1957 (again, with no exercise). If you do exercise, it would be more than that. Your BMR is 1631, meaning that's how many calories you'd burn each day while lying in a coma.

Sorry LyndseyLovesToLift, could you please explain some of this for me? TDEE? 1957? BMR? 1631? I'm not sure what any of this means.

I would love to be able to lose 2 lbs per week. Just don't know if it's possible adding more calories? You say I should be at about 1500? Will I lose weight on that?

My sister has recently lost 20 lbs with 1200 calories. She was approximately 180 lbs, 5 feet tall and Age 43.

• AlanaTedmon
    AlanaTedmon Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Be sure that you're eating the right foods; things that are high-protein will keep you satiated much longer.
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options

Agreed.