DisneyWorld, FL - Dining Options

Options
odusgolp
odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
In the event anyone has any suggestions to add to this list, I'd totally appreciate it!! We're looking for anything not ridiculously expensive... difficult, I know.

So far I've been told:

Magic Kingdom:
1. Small stand in Tomorrow land by the race track.... it has soft pretzels and hot dogs and soda.
2. Columbia Harbor House, near Haunted Mansion… the upstairs is quiet and cool and has an amazing tuna salad sandwich.
3. Be Our Guest, good for lunch… https://beourguestlunch.disney.go.com/ for a fastpass+ time to go.

Animal Kingdom:
1. Flame Tree Barbecue, excellent fruit platter

Epcot:
1. Boardwalk Bakery, for a sandwich or something sweet! When you're over in the World Showcase, walk out the International Gateway (in between the UK and France pavilions)

Downtown Disney:
1. T-Rex Café

Universal Studios
none

Merci, mes amies!

Replies

• jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Not terribly helpful, but we did the dining/meal plan when we went a couple of years ago. For a family of 4, it was faaaaar cheaper than paying for food would have been.
  • odusgolp
    Options
    I haven't looked into that and we really should...
  • wjstoj
    wjstoj Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    Pepper Market at Coronado Springs - Daily Specials and lots of choices; Earl of Sandwich in Downtown Disney; a chicken place in Magic Kingdom that gave decent-sized portions...can't remember the name. Or just do a breakfast buffet and eat and eat and eat !!
  • odusgolp
    Options
    I am simply loving the name "Earl of Sandwich"
  • samammay
    samammay Posts: 468
    Options
    Don't eat at T-Rex for the food - neither price or quality. Its good for the experience. Wolfgang Puck Express at Downtown Disney is our favorite.

Sea World Orlando - Voyagers - you can sub a fruit bowl for the fries and the BBQ chicken is good - better if you pull the skin.
  • odusgolp
    Options
    samammay wrote: »
    Don't eat at T-Rex for the food - neither price or quality. Its good for the experience. Wolfgang Puck Express at Downtown Disney is our favorite.

Really? I heard it was awesome!

• samammay
    samammay Posts: 468
    Options
    odusgolp wrote: »

The experience is awesome. Definitely walk through. Some of the nicest tropical fish tanks ever. The food is on par with TGI Fridays or Chilis. But twice as expensive.
  • odusgolp
    Options

The experience is awesome. Definitely walk through. Some of the nicest tropical fish tanks ever. The food is on par with TGI Fridays or Chilis. But twice as expensive.

Ahhhh... gotcha :) Thank you!!

• SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Oh, gosh, we were there in January and did the cheapest meal plan. It is a great deal but it is so. much. food. Dessert with every meal. My husband and I ended up splitting a meal for breakfast and another for lunch and then getting our own dinners. I don't know that I'd do it again. I think I gained 10 pounds that week even with all of the walking.

We ate at the T-Rex our first night, before our meal plan began. It's sort of like the Rain Forest Cafe; rather pricey and the food was just okay.

We really like the Sci-Fi Dine in Theater in Disney Studios for the atmosphere. The Prime Time Cafe is also really fun. Those are both sit down places so the prices are a bit higher. The Pizza Planet is counter service and the pizza is good. We always eat there once when we're at WDW. The ABC Commissary is also really good.

There are so many places to choose from at Epcot! We love the counter service restaurant in the Japan pavilion. I can't remember what it's called. There's a fish and chips stand in the UK. We tried the counter service in Mexico once but, living an hour from Mexico and having access to awesome Mexican food at home, I found it not to my taste.

Be Our Guest was fabulous. Definitely go for lunch. We went twice. The prices are much cheaper at lunch, it's considered counter service. The Columbia Harbor House is very nice, too.
  • jmt08c
    jmt08c Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    MGM Studios (if it's still called that) has a good 50s style diner with "cheap" Disney prices and decent quality food. Also has a bar attached with normal priced drinks instead of $12 beers like everywhere else
  • MamaFunky
    MamaFunky Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    Nachos at Epcot in Mexico are awesome! They were so huge it fed our family of 4. They have an awesome outdoor eating area by the lake. Can't wait to eat those again soon!
  • SueInAz
    Options
    jmt08c wrote: »
    MGM Studios (if it's still called that) has a good 50s style diner with "cheap" Disney prices and decent quality food. Also has a bar attached with normal priced drinks instead of $12 beers like everywhere else
    That's the Prime Time Diner! The staff act like family and tell you that you can't have dessert until you finish your vegetables. I was there for my birthday years ago and I not only got dessert and a song but a card signed by all of the members of the "family". It was a lot of fun!
  • ilfaith
    ilfaith Posts: 16,770 Member
    Options
    A lot of people love the dining plans, and they can be a money saver...if you are looking for big sit-down meals. We spent a couple of days at WDW with friends who were on a dining plan, and we were not. It seemed that they spent half their time running from one reservation to another, and trying to get their money's worth with desserts at every meal and snack in between. Meanwhile, we ate mostly at the counter service spots, and had one or two sit-down meals with our friends for dinner. I am sure we spent less and weren't so tied down to a schedule.

The hummus sandwich at Columbia Harbor House is one of my favorite things to eat in all of Disney. Also in the Magic Kingdom (Tomorrowland) Cosmic Ray's has decent rotisserie chicken and salads. And make sure you try a Dole Whip over in Adventureland.

I will write more later...but I have to get my kids to their tennis lesson.
  • ElemenopeeZ
    ElemenopeeZ Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    You're taking me with you, right? RIGHT?
  • jboccio90
    jboccio90 Posts: 644 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    The dinning plans are the best thing ever, look into if you can.
    As far as places at disney properties there is rain forest and the t-rex, both are great to experience once but they are expensive and the food is like an applebees or some place like that. The cosmic ray place at magic kingdom was gross when I ate there, basically cafeteria style food.
    I personally love the scifi-theater at MGM studios (hollywood studios) and the flame tree bbq in magic kingdom if I was forced to eat on disney property but if I can travel I go to international drive by universal and get the all you can eat panda express, where I can eat as many honey shrimp as my body will allow.
  • odusgolp
    Options
    We are not staying on the grounds, so I don't believe we can even get a meal plan? which is fine, we'll likely only eat there once/day.
  • Lennox497
    Lennox497 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    If you like seafood. Go to Big Fin Seafood Kitchen. Went there while on a business trip to Orlando, bartender at the Ritz said it was the spot and he was right.
  • SueInAz
    Options
    We are not staying on the grounds, so I don't believe we can even get a meal plan? which is fine, we'll likely only eat there once/day.
    You're correct. The meal plan is only for those who are staying on Disney property and buy the tickets and meal plan together with the room. You'll miss out on the very cool wristbands which act as room key, meal payment, credit card, park pass and fast pass but there are also advantages to staying off property, namely cheaper places to eat around your hotel.
  • ilfaith
    ilfaith Posts: 16,770 Member
    Options
    At Hollywood Studios we usually eat at the Sci-Fi theater...because the kids get a kick out of sitting in the cars and watching old movie clips. The Brown Derby is probably my favorite...a little more upscale and sedate.

EPCOT is all about the food. My favorites for counter service are probably the Tangerine Cafe in Morocco, and the Fish & Chips spot in England (although you can often get into the sit-down restaurants in these countries without a reservation...and the sit-down in Morocco has belly dancers to entertain you.

For a full list of WDW restaurants, check out allears.net. There are plenty of people there who know far more about Disney than I ever will.
    http://allears.net/dining/locations