Need advice on starting exercising

Options
I have been having sinus problems for the last 8 years that made it impossible for me to exercise. I finally got a surgery last Tuesday and I'll be able to start exercising in a couple weeks.

My girlfriend's BMI is 39 and mine is 22.

We are saving for a house so we can't spend money on this. I do have a yoga mat, a jump rope (high ceiling) and a pull-up bar.

I want a simple to execute program (40 minutes, every night of the week).

I am aware of the website fitness blender, but it's hard to find the proper program to follow.
Do you have suggestions for me?

I was thinking of doing the following. I know it's not perfect but it should get our heart rates up.

While one is working on the jump rope for 5 minutes, the other does:
- maximum push-ups for 1 minute
- maximum squats for 1 minute
- maximum sit-ups for 1 minute
- superman for 1 minute
- maximum jumping jacks for 1 minute

Replies

• Not sure of this helps but here's the Program Picker: http://www.rohitnair.net/pp/
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    For you I would look at "you are your own gym" or "convict conditioning" both good body weight strength training programs.
  • 99clmsntgr
    99clmsntgr Posts: 777 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    nerdfitness has a handful of workouts that are bodyweight. Search for either their travel workout or park workout (all you need is a playground that's within walking/running distance of your house)

breakingmuscle also has a line of bodyweight only workouts. Start with Cycle 1.

And my other advice would be, "Just do it."
  • kittenful
    kittenful Posts: 318 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    My favorite free site is www.neilarey.com. There are many programs to choose from (check the tabs) or you can pick what workout suits your mood, whichever be the case.

I'm fond of body weight workouts, as that's what I can manage at home.
  • rachaelgifford
    rachaelgifford Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Try looking at Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred. You can access it on youtube and it is really easy to follow at home :-)
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    nerdfitness beginner bodyweight circuits - holy whoa and youre welcome.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Find something that you can see yourself doing for a long time. That's how habits are changed from bad to good.

Your program sounds high impact. Some people can handle all high impact - all the time, others can't. 30 Day Shred (circuit) has a lot of users, but it too is high impact.

As a newbie if you need lower impact - I like Walking Cardio Shape-up on youtube (also a circuit workout)

I found cardio I like, so now I do that separately from strength training. It's all about what you will be consistent at. Nerdfitness sounds like a program that you can build from & meet goals. That sounds (inherently) motivating.