Runners opinion needed

Options
Little back ground Im appyling to join the RAF and obviously they have a minimum fitness requirements for applicants, they are 35 sit up, 20 press up and run 2.4km in 11:11. Now the sit up and press up are fine can do them ok at the moment, the problem I have is the run. Currently I can run 2.4km in just over 13 minutes constantly, there have been times when ive run it 12:40 but that only been when the stairs seem to have aligned.

My question is how long do you think it would take me to get to the required time? I know its difficult to compare one person to another, just a general rule of thumb? If it helps im 5 7" 162 looking to slim down to about 150 so I know thats going to help me. My current aim is to get there bar the end of the year, its wouldnt be the end of the world if I don't hit it just want to get to the standards asap so I can apply.

So what do you think, is it going to take 3 months, 6 months or is it impossible to tell?

tldr: Joining the RAF need to run 2.4km in 11:11 currently can run it in 13:00 easily how long would it take to get to 11:11?

Replies

• TAsunder
    TAsunder Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    What are you currently doing as far as running goes? How often, how far? Intervals? Have you had your running gait assessed?

2 months to gain that amount of speed seems optimistic to me but it really depends on where you currently are as far as running goes.
  • cingle87
    cingle87 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Im currently running a 4 day routine, mixing sprint intervals, distance and 2.4km as fast as i can. Sprint are 25 session, 1minute sprint 1 rest etc, distance I aim for 7-10km depending on how long ive got.

Been running with purpose for about 4 weeks, can't remember what the times are when i started so It difficult to say how much ive improved.

Not had my gaint assessed.

I know 2 months is a short time, but like I said it doesn't really matter if I make it, just more of a target to get me out and running.
  • Lunaluna01
    Lunaluna01 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I don't know how long it will take but interval running really ups your fitness quick! Jog for 2 minutes (comfortable pace) then sprint for 1 minute and repeat for 20 mins and then gradually increase the time (21 mins, 22 mins) and when comfortable increase the speed. Worked for me, I couldn't get beyond 20 minutes for a long time and now I'm doing a half marathon on Sunday! Good luck :)
  • Samstan101
    Samstan101 Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Also think about adding a longer slower run in. My pace increased significantly as my average weekly mileage got over 25 miles a week. That's usually made up of a 10k (6.2miles), 5k (3.1 miles), a 10-12mile long run and a session that's either based around speed or a threshold run or intervals. That's brought my 5k time down by around 2mins in 8-10weeks.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I have some experience in recruiting to Army and Royal Navy so have some appreciation of where you're coming from, although when I did my fitness test a couple of weeks ago I passed at the 25-29yo standard :)

The best way to prepare for Halton is to get your running up to 30 minutes of continuous. You can probably get there is about 6 weeks. While a Couch to 5K programme is nine weeks long, if you can already do 13 minutes of continuous running then you can drop in there about four weeks in, although I think you'd gain more from starting from week one.

Getting your basic distance to that will improve your pace significantly, so should lead to you passing the recruit fitness test reasonably.

That will also help you when you get to Halton, as you're going to be running for longer distances than the fitness test consistently. When I went through basic we were doing a minimum of 30 minute sessions.

And you're right, you need to get the wight down. I'm 6ft1 and lighter than you at the moment.

What trade are you planning on?
  • cingle87
    Options
    I looking at IT technician depending if I meet the educational requirement if not flight ops.

I can easily run for 30 minutes none stop but only at 10kph speed, can run a 5km in under 27min.

• SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Samstan101 wrote: »
    Also think about adding a longer slower run in. My pace increased significantly as my average weekly mileage got over 25 miles a week. That's usually made up of a 10k (6.2miles), 5k (3.1 miles), a 10-12mile long run and a session that's either based around speed or a threshold run or intervals. That's brought my 5k time down by around 2mins in 8-10weeks.
    This would be my advice, too. My 5K speed increased as I was training for a half marathon. Hill runs will also increase speed so if you have some good hills around do intervals of sprinting up a hill and jogging or walking back down.
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options
    OK, in that case you need a combination of intervals and tempo runs, plus weekly longer runs.

Your weekly long run, no less than 10K, which should be less than an hour plus a bit of time to cool down and stretch.

Twice a week do a tempo session, warm up for 10 minutes at a 6 minute kilometre, then 10 minutes at 5 minute kilometre, followed by a ten minute cool down. In a couple of weeks, rack up the pace on the middle section, then a week later increase the time by two minutes, repeat the progression to bring your middle section down again.

For sprint intervals you need to be working on more than one minute. Aim for 400 metres as fast as possible, followed by 400 metres at a six minute kilometre. Repeat 5 times, although warm up for ten minutes again beforehand, to loosen up. Cool down again for ten minutes afterwards.

Intervals at 400 metres are hard work, so give yourself a rest day after those.
  • rjmudlax13
    rjmudlax13 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    I know it might sound simplistic, but you just need to run a lot. I would do some kind of running 4 to 5 days a week. Do 1 long run (about 4-5 miles) and 1 sprint workout (200-400m sprints 4-5x) a week. The other 2 or 3 days do short to medium distances.

Also, check out this workout. http://www.halhigdon.com/training/50934/5K-Intermediate-Training-Program

It's meant to train for a 5km race, but do the same schedule and maybe trim about a mile (~1.6 km) off each workout.
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options
    Oh and fwiw I don't know the the RAF do this, but the Army recruiters can give advice on a training plan to get to the pass criteria at Assessment Centre.
  • CodeMonkey78
    CodeMonkey78 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Samstan101 wrote: »

^^ This..

- Long and slow runs equal speed over time.
    - Don't do *hard* running workouts on back to back days. If you run consecutive days, make your second run a slow recovery run.
    - Hills and intervals are your friend -- learn to love them.
    - In addition to sprints, work on consistent pacing. Your pace will slow down over time if you do not practice maintaining a consistent pace throughout your run.

Good luck!
  • cingle87
    Options
    Oh and fwiw I don't know the the RAF do this, but the Army recruiters can give advice on a training plan to get to the pass criteria at Assessment Centre.

I've yet to go to the recruitment centre until I get close to the requirements, when i've spoke to the recruitment twitter feed they couldn't give me a times scale of how long it take from applying to taking the fitness test. When i get to say sup 12 minutes then maybe go and speak to them.

But hopefully by this time next year I'd be packing my bag and off to halton.
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options
    I do recall this, from the Army reruiting operation: http://www.army.mod.uk/join/Getting-yourself-ready.aspx

Worth using.
  • cingle87
    Options
    I do recall this, from the Army reruiting operation: http://www.army.mod.uk/join/Getting-yourself-ready.aspx

Worth using.

Cheers will take a look at that, not going to be too much of a difference between the army and RAF.
  • Hadabetter
    Hadabetter Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    So basically you need to run 6 laps around the track at ~1:51/lap pace. If I were in your shoes this is the program I would probably begin:

Lose a little weight. Do a "long" run (at least 30 minutes) once a week. Do a tempo run (at your anaerobic threshold) for 15-20 minutes or longer, once a week. And, once a week do 6x1 lap intervals at 1:30 pace, with 90 seconds of rest in between repeats. If you can't do all 6 repeats at first, do all you can, and work up to 6. Run every other day, and take a brisk 30 minute walk on your off days. Get plenty of rest. Eat healthy, with a lot of protein, and don't let your Calorie deficit exceed 500 Calories a day.