Do you plan out your weeks? If so to what detail?

Options
So I am having a hard time staying on point with my eating. I will pre-log it but then add to it through out the day and end up not logging everything I eat or drink when I get home. I have been doing mason jar salads for lunch at work and I love them but need to switch them up a bit. But I have such a boring job I end up eating the Halloween candy or whatever out of boredom. Then when I get home I snack on stuff before dinner. So I am wondering do you all plan out your weeks, meaning do you plan what you will have each day for breakfast, for lunch and for dinner. And if you do how detailed do you get? I am thinking I may end up doing this to help me stay on point. Also I need to think of some good snacks to have on hand for when I get bored at work. And find the will power to stop munching on the candy! :)

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    To an extent, yes...my wife and I sit down on the weekend and plan out meals for the week so that we know what we need from the grocery store...mind you we may plan on grilled chicken on Tuesday night but end up eating the Salmon we had planned for Wednesday night.

When I kept my diary I usually planned out a day in advance for the next day and pre-logged it. It helped me stay on track. Planning out meals for the week for grocery shopping also helps you save money and waste less time and energy with the *kitten*...it's not on the list, it doesn't get bought. This has substantially reduced the amount of "junk food" in our house.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    I don't plan like that, but I'm a boring eater/creature of habit so I tend to have the same meals over and over. Also bc I'm single so whatever I cook makes like 4-5 meals. So, I cook some meat up on Sunday and that will decide what kind of dinner salad I'm having. I have yogurt/granola combo for lunch and luckily have a work cafeteria for breakfast...sometimes oatmeal, sometimes eggs and hashbrowns.

My favorite work snack is wasabi peas :) And gum! My cube-neighbor has the shelf in between us *covered* with junk food and candy. Urgh.
  • habit365
    habit365 Posts: 174
    Options
    I am not big on cooking so we tend to rotate around meats and veggies for everyone, with add-ins as needed for various nutritional needs/dietary preferences. There's probably going to be a fish day, something with ground beef like chili/sloppy joes/burgers, a roast, steak, pork chops, something with chicken, some kind of pea/lentil soup, etc. And then kind of rotate through those with different spices if we need a change. So more of a weekly "hey I'm buying this meat and making it up and then we'll eat it until it's gone" kind of thing.
  • shaumom
    shaumom Posts: 1,003 Member
    Options
    I only end up planning when I'm doing really well, but when I DO plan.

1. I come up with weekly meal plans for breakfast, lunch and dinner. I make sure at least a couple of them are super easy, no work types of meals. Then, every day I decide which one of them I'm going to make, based on how I feel, how tired I am, and so on.

2. I come up with 2-4 snacks a day for the week. Again, I decide each day which one of them I'll be eating. When I was working out of the home, I'd put them in little baggies to take with me so I had something to munch on.

3. If I know my will power is not going to be good for a while, I'll plan in an indulgence every day, just something nice and fun. It tends to help me not cheat, if I've already got something really nice available for the day...sometimes I'd make it at the end of the day, and I could only have it if I'd stuck to my diet goals for that day.
  • AOdell79
    AOdell79 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I pre-log the night before in great detail then adjust during the day if something changes. For example: Today someone brought a huge fruit salad and cheese platter to the break room so I had that for snack instead of my protein bar.

At work I keep a drawer with protein bars, almonds, and other portioned snacks that I know fit into my typical calorie allotment for snacks.
  • libbydoodle11
    libbydoodle11 Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    I used to shop for the week, cook a big batch of meals on sunday and portion them out. In those days I always kept a feedbag with me full of meals, snacks and water. I would just grab what I needed and go. It worked great for keeping my on track. I would also log my meals the night before.

Now I shop daily or every other day from an on going list I keep on my phone. The only meals I plan are breakfast and dinner. I tend to only log my breakfast the night before if I remember. So far I've been on track for about a month, it's working for me.

• Kiwi_Billings
    Kiwi_Billings Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I used to pre-log a day, maybe two ahead..... Now I plan out the whole week, and plan out the week's workout schedule (and rest day) It has helped me stay on track, and I just have to check my log to pack my lunch & dinner for each day. I also keep simple, go-to foods ready to pack for each day - like tuna salad, turkey lunchmeat, hard-boiled eggs, cheese, pecans, pistachios, walnuts, almonds and keep a jar of pickles & olives in the office fridge. Makes it so much easier!
  • 30PoundsToDonate
    Options
    I've actually found that if I pre-log my food, I'm just setting myself up for faliure. Like if I plan to eat a wrap for lunch, but have soup instead, even if it is of the same caloric value, I feel like I've failed, and just give up for the day. Everyone is different, but I have always done better with less structure and rigid boundaries. I always have an idea of what I'll eat, though, so I know what to buy.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    I prelog, in the morning. I sit down with a cup of coffee, and type out my day. I am not a really interesting eater, so it isnt hard for me to log it. If I need an extra snack, or skip dessert or something, I come back the diary at night, and adjust what i wrote at the same time I record my day's activity.