Key West, FL

Options
ashleybreanna13
ashleybreanna13 Posts: 249 Member
Hi there!

I'm planning a trip to Key West in early January. We'd be there over New Years Eve. The trip will be about 7 days.

What are some must-see's, must-do's, and must eat's that I should know about?

I would also love to know about great DEALS. I loooove saving money, but love traveling, too.

Any budget-friendly places to stay? I've tried Airbnb.com and VRBO. Not much out there.

Any tips would be lovely!!

Thanks a bunch! <3

Replies

• jlahorn
    jlahorn Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I visited for about 4 days about 5 years ago - long enough to remember the highlights, but not the details.

Highlights:
    - Taking a seaplane to the Dry Tortugas and snorkeling off the beach. Not cheap, but really, really cool. There's also a ferry boat, but then you wind up sharing the fort and island with 30 people instead of 8.
    - Better Than Sex is a super-dark, romantic restaurant that does nothing but desserts, and they were FANTASTIC.
    - Jetskiing around the entire island of Key West. Hopping off partway through to walk around atop a sandbar off the coast.
    - Love the little local aquarium.

Not super exciting but ok:
    - The pirate museum
    - The fort on Key West
    - The main drag of shops and restaurants.

Overpriced/not worth it:
    - Sunset sail on the masted ships. It looks cool and the boat itself is neat, but my trip at least seemed to be just a long sail on really uncomfortable seats with a bunch of people whose only reason for being there was to get sloshed and obnoxious.
    - I vaguely remember going to some restaurant that was supposed to be THE Key West restaurant - it's outdoors with live music and cats wandering around. I dunno, I wasn't really impressed - rickety tables and chairs, and not great food and drinks for pretty high prices. I think we got pretty bad service, too. Blue something. Blue Heaven? Blue Lagoon? Meh.

7 days is a long time to spend on Key West - I was pretty well done with it after a few days. You might want to check what there is to do on some of the other nearby islands.