Awesome Salad ideas *No chicken or Seafood in them*

Options
I am looking to eat more salad. It is one of those foods that just makes me kinda GAG unless it is a really amazing one. I am looking for ones without meat (I eat meat okay... I just don't want it on my salad is all....) Any ideas help.. what types of leafy greens do you use baby spinach? spinach? Kale? Regular lettuce? Dressings... any home made dressing ideas

Replies

• LookingBusy
    LookingBusy Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/comment/30005085#Comment_30005085

This thread was started yesterday. Maybe there are some ideas that will work for you.
  • Boccellin
    Boccellin Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I like romaine lettuce in mine, full of nutrients. I've taken to throwing some feta cheese in mine to mix things up.
  • Nouurann
    Nouurann Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I make salads with kale, tomatoes, cucumbers, onions, chickpeas, and use a serving of hummus for dressing with some lemon juice
  • CherylG1983
    CherylG1983 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I LOVE this one... baby spinach, with sliced strawberries or blueberries, or go crazy and use both! Slivers of red onion, almond slivers, and a warm honey olive oil dressing, which is just a tablespoon of each heated in the microwave for 10-15 seconds and mixed well. SOOOO good, it really doesn't taste like it should be healthy!
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I like red beans in a salad. Hard boiled eggs and cheese also. Not real picky on the greens. Most of the premade mixes taste good but I will usually add extra baby spinach.

Sometimes I add onion straws for a little salty crunch.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    red leaf lettuce, kale, red cabbage, mozzarella or goat cheese, balsamic vinegar. Sounds so sad without meat though.
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options
    A few of my favorites - pizza salad, cheesecake salad, hamburger salad, and of course... bacon salad. You're welcome.
  • JustAnotherGirlSuzanne
    Options
    I use baby spinach. Recently I'm finding that the best kinds of salads aren't ones that are built on leafy greens so much as have leafy greens as an ingredient. Cucumber and Tomatoes are number one in my salads. And feta. Gotta have me some feta.
  • raysputin
    raysputin Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I HATE green salad but eat it every day because it is good for me. I like to cover up the taste with dressing but find most dressings weak and insipid. I put a bit of bite in my dressing by taking no-egg mayo and doctoring it up with vinegar and mustard powder. On special occasions I use soy sauce, olive oil and balsamic vinegar and, when I am brave, add a bit of chilli.
  • fonjiva
    fonjiva Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    lettuce, green kale, cucumber, tomato, apples (apples+green kale is the thing!) nuts/seeds and whatever I have in my fridge + some low cal dressing if I feel like (I'm not a fan of dressings) or some balsamic vinegar.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    I just had a baby spinach, blue cheese, walnut and strawberry salad yesterday for lunch. It was yummy and kept me full until dinner.
  • MeeshKB
    MeeshKB Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I started eating this salad when I was pregnant (the first time, 5 years ago), but I still love it. So yummy, and full of great nutrition.

http://www.todaysparent.com/recipe/no-cook-recipes/full-of-folate-salad
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    If you don't like it... don't eat it. Seriously. There are a lot of other ways of getting vitamins.

But I like greens, beets and goat cheese (even better with smoked salmon, but I guess you count that as seafood). Can probably add walnuts too.
  • drabbits3
    drabbits3 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Look at the Moosewood Restaurant Daily Special cookbook. It has TONS of interesting salads--grain based--things like quinoa salads, spelt berry, rice salads, couscous salads, plus ones with interesting combos of greens and fruits or veggies PLUS it gives calorie counts and nutritional information. I took it out of the library and made copies of the recipes I wanted, but then I ended up buying it because there was so much I liked! It also has soups that go with the salads--love that! Their website has a bunch of recipes on it too.