I run, I ONLY run.

Options
I don't care if you think running is steady state cardio & pointless without strength training. I can't do strength without hurting my back more.

Don't give me the whole 'but strength will help your back' cause it wont & has not at all in the past. Running has every single time.

I run because it is what works for me, strength does not. I run because after I run I feel a billion dollars and could take on anything. I run because it gives me that time to think of nothing at all or everything at once & it's all so clear. I run because I get outside in nature, not inside some sweat filled gym (not that I am a member of one anyway) or stuck inside at home doing the same stuff over & over.

I run because it's what I can do without being worried about doing it wrong. I run because it is part of me. I run because it is what I was born to do. I run because at 39 I can do it & look like I am still in my early 20s. I run because nobody else in my family can't :p

If you like strength over cardio like this then good for you. If you don't like cardio at all that's your choice. But I'll stick to doing just this thanks. :)

Replies

• astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    OK.......Glad you got that off your chest. .... :o
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Ok.
  • soxobsessed
    soxobsessed Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    got it
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    Not just off my chest, but a LONG time coming. Many times on here I have been told that I MUST do strength. That running is a waste of time.

But yeah off my chest.
  • amcook4
    amcook4 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    Good for you?
  • sentaruu
    sentaruu Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    different strokes for different folks.
  • goanothermile
    goanothermile Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    If you like strength over cardio like this then good for you. If you don't like cardio at all that's your choice. But I'll stick to doing just this thanks. :)

I used to feel EXACTLY like this when I was your age. I still prefer to run over any other form of exercise.

However... I've learned to appreciate balance.

I would encourage you to keep an open mind. Heavy weights aren't the only other option. Yoga, Pilates, cycling, swimming, Crossfit, spin... it is a great big world of fitness out there.

I had tried other things and never got the same goodness that running provided. I really appreciate and value the mental part of running.

Yoga was my gateway. I tried it when I was from my first somewhat serious running injury. I've branched out into trying more other things. They have a place.

• annaskiski
    annaskiski Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    Hey!!!

Do you know strength training can help your back?
  • Cortneyrenee04
    Cortneyrenee04 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    Good for you. You should have to defend your choices :)
  • stephanieluvspb
    stephanieluvspb Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    Do what makes you happy, nobody else. But ummmmm maybe share this with the people who made you mad I mean, I feel guilty and didn't even do anything!
  • Mhgretsch
    Mhgretsch Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I agree with your reasons for running completely, and if it works for you, good on you sister :)
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    aright den
  • MamaMollyT
    MamaMollyT Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I agree with you in so many ways and I LOVE running and have been running since I was 15. As a, well, um 30-something, who has spent more than half her life exclusively running I would just give you a little, annoying old lady advice. Cross train some and stretch a lot. And some strength training using just your body or light weights can help a lot to prevent the injuries that become more prevalent as you get older. Running is fantastic and very worthwhile. You will be able to run many more years and with less injury if you do some strength training. I will tell you I have discovered this too late in life and am paying the price now with injury after injury the past two years and I finally woke up and listened to my therapists and trainers. I am learning to love weight lifting as I learn to do it correctly and I too have a back that acts up when I lift. I'm working hard to get stronger and I can't wait to get back to running.
  • BenjaminS_Fitness
    BenjaminS_Fitness Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    enjoy your skinny physique.
  • MsHarryWinston
    MsHarryWinston Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Okay? It's great you love running.
    I used to do nothing but run every day, it was great, I loved it. Then things changed in my life and now I don't run, I mix cardio and weights and I love that too.
    Do I still love what I know running can do for my bod? Yup!

I'm sorry if peoe got down on you for being a runner, just ignore them and enjoy your life.
  • dlr165
    dlr165 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    pinkraynedropjacki, I feel the same way. I just run. I have analyzed why I have failed in the past so many times. Part of it is because I was trying to do what others thought I should do. I hate classes. I don't swim and I don't like doing workout videos. So, I run. I like it. I would rather do this my way and actually follow through then try to do things I hate and quit. I have great admiration for people who do a variety of things but I'm not there yet.
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    I am a runner. At heart and in my soul. I am adding some body weight exercise to my routine especially planks because a solid core helps my form. Well that and all my lunatic friends keep dragging me to obstacle course races and they don't just happen from the waist down.

Why not add some light bodyweight (pushups, planks, pullups, etc). Just one day a week, run 4 or 5 more and take a rest day or two....
  • TFaustino67
    TFaustino67 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with just running - you are doing something. That's more than over 78 million people in the U.S. can say (according to the American Census). Good job.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    l
  • knitapeace
    knitapeace Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    I agree that so many people immediately jump to "lift heavy" without first asking "What are your goals?" The exercise that works for you is the one you do consistently and gets you where you want to go.