Bike Commuting

Options
i wanted to open a thread for anyone who commutes by bike or is considering it. I just hit 1,000 miles commuting since April, and it feels great. I live in a northern state and have a bike dedicated for winter riding.

With any luck, I will bike commute a majority of 2015 and put on over 2,500 miles.

Replies

• ziggypop93
    ziggypop93 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I bike commute as well. I don't do it every day because some days I need my car during the work day, but try to do it at least three days a week. I need to get some fenders because I live in the Northwest and as soon as the rain hits, I'm going to need them badly!

One of my favorite things about it is the time it gives me to clear my head on my ride home. My commute minus about 1/4 mile is all bike trails so I can relax and not worry so much about traffic. It is wonderful.
  • yogicarl
    yogicarl Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    If I could find a safe route to/from work I would definitely commute, but my choice is one long fast road - in UK the road is dual carriageway with a 60 mph limit, but I know through driving it people are usually doing more like 70 - 90mph - but with long range visibility, or the second route is slower (40 - 60mph having driven it myself) but with many blind bends and poorer road surface.
    Country lanes can be quieter but visibility less than the fast carriageway with better long range visibility. Cars can (don't always) move to give a wider berth when passing than with the more narrow country roads.
  • Colt_Luger
    Colt_Luger Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Every bike I own has fenders except my mountain bike. They are a must! Yogi - I agree about the semi safe roads. The proliferation of drivers with cell phones makes me nervous.
  • jagi410
    jagi410 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I bike commute every day, year round in Minnesota. That fresh air in the morning makes the work day better, and the fresh air on the way home relieves the stress of work!
  • TAsunder
    TAsunder Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I'm a fair-weather commuter. I will stop commuting once the ice sticks to the road. About 6 miles each way. I have been off my game this summer, though, because my legs couldn't handle it while I was also marathon training. I'm hoping there's enough non-icy road days left to get a fair amount in still this year.
  • tonybalony01
    tonybalony01 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    I live in a city that hates cyclists, otherwise I would gladly do it.
    Glad to hear you're able to, though. Keep up the great work.
  • 100andOnward
    100andOnward Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    jagi410 wrote: »
    I bike commute every day, year round in Minnesota. That fresh air in the morning makes the work day better, and the fresh air on the way home relieves the stress of work!

I was just going to say that I was commuting a few times a week until about a month ago, but in Minnesota it's so cold.... How did you handle last winter? I haven't figured that one out yet.

We've been installing more bike lanes in my area, making it much easier, but this summer, I was in the same boat as others who had a dangerous route.
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Western Massachusetts. I bike commute much of the year but haven't worked up to doing it in the snow and ice. I have some studded snow tires for my old hybrid, though, so I intend to give it a try this winter. Good lights are essential. I like generator-powered lights. With a cheap Shimano dynohub and one of the new LED headlights (I like the B&M Lyt or Eyc for good light on a budget), you can get decent lighting without ever having to worry about buying or recharging batteries.
  • Colt_Luger
    Colt_Luger Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Jagi - I feel your (cold) pain. I'm in Montana. I have a dedicated winter commuter, with studded snow tires. It's an old Gary Fisher MTN bike I own that I converted to winter cycling.
  • hollysmithtalton
    hollysmithtalton Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hi guys- I just started bike commuting in an urban area of North Carolina. It's not very far and I have to deal with sidewalks and crazy traffic, but I'm loving it so far. Any women here willing to chat about bike-friendly workplace fashion?
  • jmtp
    jmtp Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I commute by bike in North Carolina as well. Fortunately for me, there was a brand new four-lane road constructed from downtown (where I live) to a road that leads directly to my work. Almost no one uses the new road, so I typically have it all to myself on my bike commutes. The lane it feeds into has barrier-protected bike lanes, so I'm pretty lucky. I use a hybrid year-round, but NC's winters are a joke.