I wish I love running

Options
I really, really, really wish I love running. I envy people who say they are addicted to running.
I do treadmill workout 2-3 times a week but I can only manage brisk walk 3.7-3.9 mph.
Please, help me. I want to be addicted to running. I don't know how to start.

Replies

• Aine8046
    Aine8046 Posts: 2,122 Member
    Options
    Check out c25k group here. In 2 months you'll be able to run 5k :)
  • 1princesswarrior
    1princesswarrior Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    This helped me out: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1217573/so-you-want-to-start-running

I also did C25K to get started. Also, try getting outside and away from the dreadmill.
  • gobonas99
    gobonas99 Posts: 1,049 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I do treadmill workout

that right there is the problem. Go outside. :p

I can only stand 10-15 minutes tops on the dreadmill, but can run for 90 minutes plus outside. :)
  • HornedFrogPride
    HornedFrogPride Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Run:Walk:Run will boost your fun and get you there faster than you might think. :D Run with walking breaks! You can do it! Try reading any of Jeff Galloway's running books (probably at your library or at any major bookstore) or try the Galloway running apps for your phone-I think there's one for 5k. Good luck! I'm confident you will find your fun in your run!
  • Boccellin
    Boccellin Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I love to run, I dread the treadmill. I can walk on it, but running frustrates me. I feel like I'm on a giant hamster wheel. I would rather run in the rain/very cold temperatures than run on the treadmill. I only migrate inside to use the treadmill when it's absolutely necessary. Try getting outside and running there. There are apps to track your speed and HRM to track your calories. As others have suggested, try c25k, it got me into running, and now I'm training for a half marathon.
  • DreamCatcherGirl
    DreamCatcherGirl Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I can only exercise at night (mainly after 8:30) and I am afraid to run around my neighborhood. I rather stay inside.
    But I guess I can start going to the park on the weekends during the day.
    I really appreciate everybody's input.
  • chadya07
    chadya07 Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    you dont have to love running though. i do but i didnt always... and when i looked at it as a chore i never could make myself. it took quite a bit of running in spite of myself before i learned to like it.

but you dont have to like it. in fact as far as calorie burners it is no better than many other forms of cardio, and unless you are pretty intense the burn inst near as good as an arc trainer or elliptical or something. 50 minutes at a slowish jog only gives me like 450 calories and if i do that in say, a body pump class, i burn over 650... so if you dont like it, dont like it. find things you do like. there are a TON of options out there.
  • sloseph
    sloseph Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    i never used to run at all, i used to look at runner going past me and wonder what was wrong with them, why did they punish them selves

then i found the C25K program and though i'll give it a go, now i absolutely love running and i've just signed up for my first 5k race

it's such a good program, it eases you in week by week, gradually getting harder, you start of running for 1 minute at a time and feeling like your going to die, then after a few week you realise actually you're not going to die and you're really enjoying it
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Like others said, I love running, but not on the treadmill. I've come around to it as a tool and don't hate it anymore, but I think you'd have a better chance of falling in love with running outdoors.
  • killedbycardio
    killedbycardio Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I've never actually hated running, it was just difficult for me. Then I looked up some training programmes which taught you to run 5k or just run continuously without stopping (that was my main goal also), it was a struggle, but worth it. Going for a run became a habit, as natural as brushing teeth... it made me calm and less anxious and I started to love it more and more. So the advice would be to go outside, make a playlist, seek out some plan how to ease into running from walking. If you've been running for a while outside, it's cool how you can see seasons changing, different temperature, different air... Also invest in some decent running gear!
    Nowadays when I see people running, I become almost jealous, wishing I was running too.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    i didnt like running... so i signed up for a 10k... now i have to train because i dont want to do rubbish in the race!!!!

i have come to enjoy running... a bit!
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    like others have said, try running outside.

i didn't like running that much either. instead, i dusted off my old mountain bike and started cruising around my neighborhood, bike path, and trails. loved it. and that helped build up my endurance and cardiovascular conditioning so that when i would go out to run, i could do it well.
  • cloieclo
    cloieclo Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I hated running with a passion as a teenager in school. I'd do anything to get out of Physical Education.
    Then I signed up to the London Marathon (aged 23) because I knew I needed a kick to start exercising and change my lifestyle. I conditioned my body to run, but still dreaded going for a run after work. People would tell me I wouldn't be able to give up running after the marathon, and I'd laugh in their faces. I couldn't wait to give it up!
    After the marathon, I had 2 weeks off and craved a long distance run! My body actually needed me to go for a run and set my mind free.
    If you keep telling yourself you hate running, you'll hate it. Give it a chance.
  • rslcarson
    rslcarson Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I can only exercise at night (mainly after 8:30) and I am afraid to run around my neighborhood. I rather stay inside.
    But I guess I can start going to the park on the weekends during the day.
    I really appreciate everybody's input.

One of my MFP friends runs for 40 mins most days doing lengths of her bedroom! She has no treadmill and doesn't want to run outside.
    Outside is for me, the fresh air, and seeing the world go past make it a far nicer experience than the treadmill every time.
    I was also going to suggest couch 2 5k, because you can start at your own pace. When I started I could only run 4 minutes at a time and within 6 weeks was able to run 3 miles in 40 minutes. When you start to see progress you start to love it.
  • runJIBrun
    runJIBrun Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    If you're a competitive person, nike + or nike running tracks your pace time, PR's, distance and calories... I love running but I didnt when I started using it years ago... I like watching my progress over time.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Treadmill is a bad word. Off the treadmill and into the road. People are generally motivated by challenges. Artificially running as far as you can staring at the same space for as long as possible is not much of a challenge in my book........
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    Why does it have to be running? Ask yourself a different question... What do YOU like to do?
  • _funrungirl
    _funrungirl Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I love to run but hate the treadmill. Being outside is much better for me.

That said, if you don't like to run then don't run. Find something that you really enjoy and do it. Try group classes, cycling, stair stepper (my fave), jump rope,.....there are just tons of options.
  • _funrungirl
    _funrungirl Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    J72FIT wrote: »
    Why does it have to be running? Ask yourself a different question... What do YOU like to do?

^^^^This