sofaking6 wrote: »
    MelRC117 wrote: »
    Lois_1989 wrote: »
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    z_bra wrote: »
    Don't Blane birth control...you ate the food...now restrict your calories and weigh your food so you lose weight

Certain types of birth control can cause weight gain. How long does your implant last? would it be worth having it taken out and using a different type? Apparently the coil is meant to be quite good...

No they don't...there is not one medicatio on the planet the causes weight gain while eating at maitenance or in a deficit...the only way you gain "weight" is either through water retention or excess calories.

To the OP...BC can cause an increase in appetite but they do not cause 50lbs of weight gain...you did this by eating too much. Start logging accurately by weighing solids and measuring liquids ....

I have used two of the most "notorious" bc methods that people blame for weight gain for a total of 15 years...I was fat when I went on them stayed fat and got fatter (eating too much and not moving enough) I lost weight when I decided I had enough, gained it back etc...

In the last 18 months I have used both Mirena and Depo and have lost almost 60lbs...how?

Calorie deficit.

Why is everyone on here so pedantic. You understood what she was getting at. :angry:

Personality disorder, need to feel superior to others at all times.

Or it's because its tiring seeing people not wanting to take responsibility for their weight gain.

Then ignore the post. But you can't, because it's an opportunity to 'put someone in their place' and that's like candy to you.

Or maybe it's because calling out someone's excuses may be that person's wake up call. Or maybe someone reading this thread will have that lightbulb moment. Or maybe, just maybe, it's because a lot of people here believe in squashing myths and upholding facts.

Not everything written here is about the OP, or any poster, for that matter. The second that people put aside their personal bias and start listening to facts is the moment where knowledge is gained.

And it's impossible to 'squash a myth' without insulting and shaming? Because it seems to ignorant lil ol me that when a post is written with at least partial intent to be cruel and dismissive it's much LESS likely to be a wakeup call for anyone, except maybe a wakeup call about how not to act.

While it may be blunt, it is still the truth. Does anybody here get anything out of being patronized? I don't recall any insulting and shaming in this thread. Is it the OP's fault that her BC increased her appetite and possibly had an effect on her TDEE? No. Should she take responsibility for letting the weight increase become 50 pounds before doing something about it? Absolutely.

This is not Weight Watchers or Overeaters Anonymous. Not everybody here responds to hand-holding and head-pats.

ETA: There are people on MFP with far greater hardships to getting fit that have been successful. They're not the ones blaming it on medication.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    karynmari wrote: »
    I've had the nexoplanon birth control implant for a year and 3 months...I've gained 50 or so pounds in that amount of time...and I can't seem to lose it(not from the lack of trying) I have tried to diet and work out regularly and it just isn't helping. Any advice?
    Sincerely
    18 and self loathing

Imagine what a child would have done to you.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    Don't Blane birth control...you ate the food...now restrict your calories and weigh your food so you lose weight

Certain types of birth control can cause weight gain. How long does your implant last? would it be worth having it taken out and using a different type? Apparently the coil is meant to be quite good...

No they don't...there is not one medicatio on the planet the causes weight gain while eating at maitenance or in a deficit...the only way you gain "weight" is either through water retention or excess calories.

To the OP...BC can cause an increase in appetite but they do not cause 50lbs of weight gain...you did this by eating too much. Start logging accurately by weighing solids and measuring liquids ....

I have used two of the most "notorious" bc methods that people blame for weight gain for a total of 15 years...I was fat when I went on them stayed fat and got fatter (eating too much and not moving enough) I lost weight when I decided I had enough, gained it back etc...

In the last 18 months I have used both Mirena and Depo and have lost almost 60lbs...how?

Calorie deficit.

Why is everyone on here so pedantic. You understood what she was getting at. :angry:

Or it's because its tiring seeing people not wanting to take responsibility for their weight gain.

Then ignore the post. But you can't, because it's an opportunity to 'put someone in their place' and that's like candy to you.

Or maybe it's because calling out someone's excuses may be that person's wake up call. Or maybe someone reading this thread will have that lightbulb moment. Or maybe, just maybe, it's because a lot of people here believe in squashing myths and upholding facts.

Not everything written here is about the OP, or any poster, for that matter. The second that people put aside their personal bias and start listening to facts is the moment where knowledge is gained.

And it's impossible to 'squash a myth' without insulting and shaming? Because it seems to ignorant lil ol me that when a post is written with at least partial intent to be cruel and dismissive it's much LESS likely to be a wakeup call for anyone, except maybe a wakeup call about how not to act.

While it may be blunt, it is still the truth. Does anybody here get anything out of being patronized? I don't recall any insulting and shaming in this thread. Is it the OP's fault that her BC increased her appetite and possibly had an effect on her TDEE? No. Should she take responsibility for letting the weight increase become 50 pounds before doing something about it? Absolutely.

This is not Weight Watchers or Overeaters Anonymous. Not everybody here responds to hand-holding and head-pats.

ETA: There are people on MFP with far greater hardships to getting fit that have been successful. They're not the ones blaming it on medication.

Apparently it's Reddit, and also a contest of some sort.

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

Calorie deficit.

oh a contest!!! does that mean we get a cookie!!!!
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    You gained weight because you ate. The birth control may have caused an increase in appetite. It is now up to you to cause a deficit in calories.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

Calorie deficit.

oh a contest!!! does that mean we get a cookie!!!!

giphy.gif