Granola bars: healthy or not?

Options
I'm really addicted to granola bars, are they healthy to eat every day? Also I went on a granola bar binge at 3am yesterday.. I ate two packets (4 bars) of Kelloggs breakfast bars. The only thing I had eaten for the past twelve hours were a few almonds and three dates, yet I feel very guilty now! Will this seriously hinder my weight loss?

Replies

• libbydoodle11
    libbydoodle11 Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    If you track your granola bars and eat a balanced diet you should be fine.
  • oxers
    oxers Posts: 259 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    If you eat more calories than you burn, yeah. It'll seriously hinder your weight loss. As for whether or not they're bad for you? That's more complicated. You can fit granola bars into your daily caloric intake really easily - I take a Quaker chewy bar to work every day as a mid-shift snack - and there's nothing inherently wrong with them, but some are more nutritionally dense than others. Just track accurately and you'll be fine.

P.S.: "A few almonds and three dates" is not acceptable for a twelve hour period. Food isn't the enemy. Calories are not evil. You need to fuel your body and be good to yourself to lose weight. Figure out a reasonable, safe caloric deficit, and for the love of god, go eat something.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,957 Member
    Options
    You need some sound dietary advice.....your not on a holy pilgrimage where sacrifice and torture are commonplace......try a balanced diet and a slight deficit
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you under-ate, got too hungry and binged.

Set a sensible calorie goal and eat. Plan your meals ahead if this helps to prevent going for such a long period of time on little food.

Don't think of individual food items as 'good' or 'bad', 'healthy' or 'unhealthy'. Look at your overall diet instead.
  • Sevendust912
    Sevendust912 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    um define healthy...

They are fine
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    I love granola bars/granola/oatmeal/muesli... I am looking on top of my fridge, and I have 4 different varieties at the moment.I think they taste really nice.

However, Not eating all day is definitely not healthy, and I dont think 4 granola bars would even qualify as a binge. What, that is like 500 calories? Tops?
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Absolutely not healthy. About as healthy as eating a Mars bar almost. Full of sugar.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    Nothing inherently bad about granola bars. That said, binging on anything can be a problem...
  • J72FIT
    Options
    eldamiano wrote: »
    Absolutely not healthy. About as healthy as eating a Mars bar almost. Full of sugar.

What's wrong with sugar?
  • eldamiano
    Options
    J72FIT wrote: »

What's wrong with sugar?

What's wrong with granola more like? If you are gorging on 4 bars a day to make yourself feel better, then think again... Meanwhile, this guy/lady has not mentioned thinking about eating any fruit or veg....
  • J72FIT
    Options

What's wrong with sugar?

What's wrong with granola more like? If you are gorging on 4 bars a day to make yourself feel better, then think again... Meanwhile, this guy/lady has not mentioned thinking about eating any fruit or veg....

We agree that binging is not good... but there is nothing inherently wrong with granola or sugar.

• eldamiano
    Options

What's wrong with sugar?

We agree that binging is not good... but there is nothing inherently wrong with granola or sugar.

Well no, but just that granola bars have a healthy/diet-related image, when actually, they are little more healthy than a chocolate bar, not the people trying to make a false fortune out of such 'healthy' products would just recommend a Mars.....
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options

What's wrong with sugar?

Well no, but just that granola bars have a healthy/diet-related image, when actually, they are little more healthy than a chocolate bar, not the people trying to make a false fortune out of such 'healthy' products would just recommend a Mars.....

To be fair though, they'd probably make more of a fortune if they just made candy bars to begin with.
  • eldamiano
    Options

What's wrong with sugar?

To be fair though, they'd probably make more of a fortune if they just made candy bars to begin with.

To be fair, they probably do already but just fancy conning people out of even more money. Ask anyone who does WeightWatchers....
  • 13bbird13
    13bbird13 Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    Compare labels. Some are better/worse than others. I prefer the ones with ingredients I recognize; some are packed with chemicals and flavor enhancers.
  • J72FIT
    Options
    Ask anyone who does WeightWatchers....

My sister did weight watchers and lost 100lbs. Has kept it off for a few years now...

• Add713
    Add713 Posts: 53 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    They are good......a couple of granola bars or a snickers bar.......probably go with the snickers. No snickers than granola bars are good. Both are treats, not part of my balanced meal program. They are an addition to it.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    if you hit your calorie and macro goal then yes...if not then no ...food is just energy it is not good or bad...
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    food911 wrote: »
    I'm really addicted to granola bars, are they healthy to eat every day? Also I went on a granola bar binge at 3am yesterday.. I ate two packets (4 bars) of Kelloggs breakfast bars. The only thing I had eaten for the past twelve hours were a few almonds and three dates, yet I feel very guilty now! Will this seriously hinder my weight loss?
    that is your problem in the bold, not the granola bars...
  • Archerychickge
    Archerychickge Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    Everything in MODERATION. Therre shouldn't be foods that you avoid only to binge on... Eat normal portions and LOG everything. You'll be fine.