Hurt knee... hmm...

Hiya!

A few days ago as I was walking down the stairs with my 22 month old son, I frustratingly slipped off the last step and because I was holding him I slipped awkwardly, trying to basically save him from getting hurt.

Anyway, I did feel a shock in my knees but not much happened after, and as I was feeling ill I hadn't worked out a few days after anyway. But, now my knees are in pain as I walk up the stairs. Urgh!

Now, before this had happened I had been doing 5 days of strength and hiit workouts per week.

Now, I don't know what to do. My knees don't feel soo bad that I feel like i need to see the doc, but it might sound silly but i'm not sure what the best thing to do here is.

Do I leave working out for longer? Do I just try and gently work out but only focus on upper body and forget the hiit and cardio?

boohooo!! I miss working out! What do you wonderful people do?

Replies

• AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    If you think you don't need to see a doctor, then rest until there is no pain or swelling or such. Possibly ice and elevate, too.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Ice, Ibuprofen and elevation. And rest of course. And you can do cardio using just upper body, it just won't be at the same level. Try shadow boxing with light weights, it will get your heart rate up.
  • doctorsookie
    doctorsookie Posts: 1,084 Member
    First rule out anything that might be damaged. If the doctor says you are okay gradually start working out again. I have arthritis in my knees and the more I am stationary or go a few days of not working out they hurt but the hurt stops when i start using them more. sometimes there is truth in advertising 'a body in motion tends to stay in motion and body at rest tends to stay at rest'. the more you don't use it the worse it may get. make an appointment and make sure you didn't tear or dislocate anything as it was something that happened that might have caused injury. good luck
  • curlyslim
    curlyslim Posts: 64 Member
    Hello!

Thank you all for replying! I took about 1.5 weeks off, and as soon as my knees felt better I got right back into exercising, albeit with much lighter weights, and yet no hiit.

I can't believe how my muscles have lost some of that strength already! madness, and my muscles are so sore from going back to my workouts.

But, importantly my knees are feeling fine. So again, thank you ever so much :)