delayed muscle pain after physical activity?

Options
Okay, this is not exactly an exercise question...but here it goes.
On Sunday, I was trying to show what a super star gymnast I used to be to my stepdaughter. I didn't stretch out and have done these bends and flips in years. Stupid. but 4 days later I feel that my whole abdomen is in pain as in it hurts to sneeze. Is this common?

Replies

• GradatimFerociter
    GradatimFerociter Posts: 296 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    DOMS is common after activity you are not accustomed to, yes.

If the pain persists for some time then it might be something more serious but I would give it a few days.
  • GretaGirl8
    GretaGirl8 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    DOMS is common after activity you are not accustomed to, yes.

If the pain persists for some time then it might be something more serious but I would give it a few days.

thank you for the reply. do you think it is strange that it took 4 days to really hurt?

• ThePhoenixIsRising
    ThePhoenixIsRising Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    When I start a new lifting pattern it can take 3 days to feel the DOMS. If I'm not mistaken it can take upto 8 days to feel the full force of them.
  • GretaGirl8
    Options
    When I start a new lifting pattern it can take 3 days to feel the DOMS. If I'm not mistaken it can take upto 8 days to feel the full force of them.

okay so 4 days isn't beyond the realm of possibility. When does the swelling typically subside. Thank you.

• ThePhoenixIsRising
    Options
    It is different for everyone. I did a new leg workout Monday and they are still tender to the touch if weight is applied to the muscle. I think the longest it has lasted for me was 6days after presentation of pain.

Heat can help for short periods. Moving and loosening the muscle help for the day. It is always the worst when I wake up because everything has tightened up again.

I haven't found any OTC painkillers helpful. :disappointed:
  • GretaGirl8
    Options
    It is different for everyone. I did a new leg workout Monday and they are still tender to the touch if weight is applied to the muscle. I think the longest it has lasted for me was 6days after presentation of pain.

Heat can help for short periods. Moving and loosening the muscle help for the day. It is always the worst when I wake up because everything has tightened up again.

I haven't found any OTC painkillers helpful. :disappointed:
    yes! it always hurts most in the early morning for me.

• GretaGirl8
    Options
    Oh, and do you ever experience shakiness and chills? I read some wear DOMS can affect electrolytes and fluid.
  • ThePhoenixIsRising
    Options
    GretaGirl8 wrote: »
    Oh, and do you ever experience shakiness and chills? I read some wear DOMS can affect electrolytes and fluid.

I haven't, but your body is spending energy to heal the muscle which uses a large amount of fluid(swelling in muscle) I can see that messing with fluid and electrolyte balance in the rest of the body.

Maybe try sipping a bone broth soup if you are feeling these things?
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    Quickly learn difference between sore and injured.

I'll get DOMS with a fierceness about 36 hours to 48 hours after the stimulus causing it. Generally gone withing 24 hours of that, in some cases with some really rough workouts or something new that I overdid, it has taken 5 days to get over my DOMS.

Last week, I did a squat session that ended out with 3 sets of 100 leg extensions at a fairly heavy weight for me. Hit me Weds. night (tuesday workout) and lasted until Sunday evening.
  • 100andOnward
    100andOnward Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    DOMS usually sets in after about 48 hours for me, and can last up to 4 days. However, when I was starting out, or after coming back after a hiatus, it usually starts after 2 days, gets worse on days 3-4, and can last up to a week.

I've gotten shakiness and chills after 24 hours, but it usually subsides quickly and goes hand-in-hand with inadequate sleep and nutrition in the previous days. YMMV
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    It's probably DOMS. Unless your pee looks like coffee or tea.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    Yeah, you used a bunch of muscles you havent in a while and stretched them out more than they have been used to in a long time - the body is amazing at healing itself - and next time you know better :D
  • GretaGirl8
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    nope. :smile:

from what I can gather based on info posted here and some googling. I definitely overexerted myself on sunday. I had minor discomfort on Wednesday and horrible discomfort yesterday with an episode of shakiness, body aches and chills that subsided quickly. I am a dehydrated person to begin with (and not such great nutrition). So when the fluid/electrolyte imbalance took place, my body couldn't handle it.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    GretaGirl8 wrote: »
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    nope. :smile:

from what I can gather based on info posted here and some googling. I definitely overexerted myself on sunday. I had minor discomfort on Wednesday and horrible discomfort yesterday with an episode of shakiness, body aches and chills that subsided quickly. I am a dehydrated person to begin with (and not such great nutrition). So when the fluid/electrolyte imbalance took place, my body couldn't handle it.

Yeah, stay hydrated, ice, take some Advil and wait it out.
  • GretaGirl8
    Options
    I had some more chills today, but they subsided. I also am drinking lots of water, but don't seem to be voiding it all. Is that because it is being retained for repair of my muscles?
  • dbmata
    Options
    Or you just are underwatered, flower.

Make sure you keep your salts balanced. If I'm the least bit loose and easy with my magnesium intake I get utterly wrecked.
  • GretaGirl8
    edited October 2014
    Options
    okay, I just read an article that says after muscle repair--they will become stronger and thicker. so will I gain weight from the one time gymnastics fiasco? (pardon the fact that I am not actually very fit but am posting on the board (I walk...that is it).
  • dbmata
    Options
    no, you will not.

Not at the level of precision that you are thinking.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    you aren't going to gain muscle from 1 gymnastics fiasco. It takes a lot of hard work and proper nutrition to gain muscle and is very difficult, especially for a woman.
  • GretaGirl8
    Options
    thanks for all of your responses. They are very helpful.