Need advice on How to whittle waist (not flatten)

Options
Hello all

I am looking on advice that will "whittle" waist like an hourglass, rather than flattening it like a surfboard. I currently have a measurements of 36-28-40 and want to make my waist about 9 to 10 inches smaller than my chest, which means I need avoid developing my obliques any more defined than they are now ( note I didn't say “bulk” because it confuses the goal) the only exercises that I know that help whittle is the ballet stretch, stomach vacuum and maybe hola hooping. As for ones that will reduce the waist without over engaging obliques is the plank, wall sit, lunges. Does anyone have anyway to "whittle" waist with getting the Pilates or flat wide torso?

Replies

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    A lot of waist is determined by your shape. Some women have naturally smaller or wider waists and all the work in the world won't make your hip or rib bones different.

Swim. Swimmers slim out in the waist and hips because of the exercise they do. In fact, when you are done swimming, you will probably feel thinner in those areas. I call it the "Post-swim thin" because I've talked to so many other swimmers who have the same phenomenon. When we are done swimming, all dried off and dressed, we feel thinner in the abdomen and hips.

Obviously, you don't lose a bunch of weight, but you feel like you did, lol. It's weird and I think you have to experience it to understand it, but when I talk to regular swimmers about the post-swim thin, I often get a rather excited, "Yes!", like they're happy to have found someone else who has that experience, too. :)
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    In B4 XHG
  • ThePhoenixIsRising
    ThePhoenixIsRising Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Corset training or lipo.

if all you want is a larger gap between chest and waist measurements add muscle to your chest, back, and lats.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    bench press, deadlifting and good mornings - WHEW - my middle shrank away to half what it was when I started incorporating these. Feel my midsection all week and the burn from the weights continues long after I quit working out for the day.
  • Hyspin
    Hyspin Posts: 76 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Note I don't mind losing a maximum of two inches of hips if it will help the waist. I am willing to add muscle mass to hips and serrations anterior muscles to make the waist looks small in proportion once no bulk or muscle definition goes to obliques, shoulder or arm muscles. I have broad shoulders and naturally easily defined arm muscles for a woman (genetics).
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Good-mornings
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    No exercise makes your waist smaller. Best you can do is lose body fat.
  • yoovie
    Options
    DopeItUp wrote: »

No exercise makes your waist smaller. Except most of them. Consistently. Over a long period of time. Which will bring your body fat% down. Which will mean a smaller waist.

• yoovie
    Options
    Hyspin wrote: »
    Note I don't mind losing a maximum of two inches of hips if it will help the waist. I am willing to add muscle mass to hips and serrations anterior muscles to make the waist looks small in proportion once no bulk or muscle definition goes to obliques, shoulder or arm muscles. I have broad shoulders and naturally easily defined arm muscles for a woman (genetics).

Unfortunately this isn't the science of evolving the shape of your body. It's not about negotiating. It's about what a strong version of your body would look like - and doing the work necessary to show that instead of a fluffy overcoating. Sometimes we only get a waist if we lose our hips too.

Hell, I cant have a butt unless I have a bit of a tummy :(

• Hyspin
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Corset training or lipo.

if all you want is a larger gap between chest and waist measurements add muscle to your chest, back, and lats.

So corset training I was going to do that eventually since it was the obvious choice since diet and exercixe can only goso far, but wanted to see if could close to a 1-2 inch smaller waist sinc my waist is already 8 inches smaller than my chest and 12 inches smaller than my waist it didn't seem impossible.

But I like your suggestion maybe should focus less on make my waist smaller than it is more making upper totes bigger my only fear is making my shoulders look more broad or masculine as result since I have very broad easily defined shoulders naturally.
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    You can't target fat loss to a specific area of your body. Your body loses fat from wherever it wants and where it comes off first vs. last is determined by your genetics. Only a calorie deficit causes fat loss. It just takes patience to see it come off of where you want it to.

Corset training is a bad bad bad bad idea. Please don't.
  • Hyspin
    edited October 2014
    Options
    yoovie wrote: »
    bench press, deadlifting and good mornings - WHEW - my middle shrank away to half what it was when I started incorporating these. Feel my midsection all week and the burn from the weights continues long after I quit working out for the day.

Never heard of good mornings I would definitely give it a try. Deadlifts I can incorporate more of but bench presses seem to be target my already genetically broad shoulders so I will avoid that one. Funny thing is everyone forgets that when you lose weight you lose fat not bone so my rib cage won't get any more smaller other than my breast which means that it is possible to get my waist smaller to my rib cage by and inch or two inches when I said I wanted my waist to be 9"-10" smaller than my chest I actually only asking on how to reduce my current waist by an additional 1-2 inches that's it!!! Lol not asking for magic just 1-2 inches on an already visually hourglass body, my waist is already 8 inches smaller than my chest and 12 inches smaller than my hip. I got the body already just want to do some fine tuning.:)
  • JenniDaisy
    JenniDaisy Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    What's going to happen if you do all these things and still end up 'flat like a surfboard'

Why not try and make your hips/bottom and chest/back/lats bigger? It seems like a much more sensible option than trying to miraculously wither away your middle.
  • Hyspin
    edited October 2014
    Options
    yoovie wrote: »
    DopeItUp wrote: »

No exercise makes your waist smaller. Except most of them. Consistently. Over a long period of time. Which will bring your body fat% down. Which will mean a smaller waist.

Lol that exactly what I was thinking. You can lose weight overall and if you have a lot of stomach fat it will get smaller in ratio to the other parts as a result.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    I did deep water toning and it slimmed me all over. The core exercises were especially grueling. Being in water gives you much greater range of motion and just the right amount of resistance.
  • Hyspin
    edited October 2014
    Options
    JenniDaisy wrote: »
    What's going to happen if you do all these things and still end up 'flat like a surfboard'

Why not try and make your hips/bottom and chest/back/lats bigger? It seems like a much more sensible option than trying to miraculously wither away your middle.
    I already figured what makes a person flat wider too much weight lost around hips and flutes and less muscle building on thighs and glutes combined with too many ab excises on building the obliques making them wider on the sides so smaller hips and more developed obliques means wider torso. So my goals is avoid too much work on the obliques and to much overall body fat reduction.
  • Hyspin
    Options
    You can't target fat loss to a specific area of your body. Your body loses fat from wherever it wants and where it comes off first vs. last is determined by your genetics. Only a calorie deficit causes fat loss. It just takes patience to see it come off of where you want it to.

Corset training is a bad bad bad bad idea. Please don't.

Corset training isn't that bad it is like everything else in life, just don't rush that's all. Also not targeting far loss just avoiding building up the obliques an focusing the transverse abdominis muscles which most individuals ignore which is the bodies corset muscle. Also I said willing to lose a little more weight taking that my ribs aren't getting any smaller so only left is weight around waist and hips to go down.
  • Hyspin
    edited October 2014
    Options
    JenniDaisy wrote: »

Just forgot what recommendations do you have on bigger lats/back/chest that will have minimal affect on biceps and arms. And I know many workout for glutes and not any for hips because last time I check the human anatomy there very few hip muscles which are also very small, which means they probably won't be able create the illusion of smaller waist to hips do to their size. Also what your knowledge on transverse muscles, I have a feeling like no one has clue they even exist and what the body uses it for, because I know they help make my stomach seem tighter and eventually will contribute to tighter stomach. Examples of individuals who benefited from training there transverse abs were Arnold Schwarzenegger (pre-acting) and Bruce lee via stomach vacuum.
  • ThePhoenixIsRising
    ThePhoenixIsRising Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    The nice thing about the visual hourglass and not the measured one is your eye follows the tire line of the body. I say this because for the front hourglass look your hips won't really grow but your quads will. This gives the pleasing outward curve you are looking for.

Stomach vacuuming is great for being able to hold your stomach in. It works the "corset" muscles under the traditional abdominals that people usually work.

There is nothing you can do for your chest lats and back that won't hit the arms as well. The nice thing is most of the chest and back specific exercises only hit the arms to stabilize so if your arms are stronger than needed they shouldn't grow.

You will not see any growth in your muscles while on a cal deficit! You will not see any growth from the accidental cal surpluses! It takes months of dedicated training and eating to produce the results you are afraid of. I understand you have an unhealthy fear of growing muscle, but it is unfounded unless there are hormonal differences we don't know about.

• Hyspin
    edited October 2014
    Options
    The nice thing about the visual hourglass and not the measured one is your eye follows the tire line of the body. I say this because for the front hourglass look your hips won't really grow but your quads will. This gives the pleasing outward curve you are looking for.

Stomach vacuuming is great for being able to hold your stomach in. It works the "corset" muscles under the traditional abdominals that people usually work.

There is nothing you can do for your chest lats and back that won't hit the arms as well. The nice thing is most of the chest and back specific exercises only hit the arms to stabilize so if your arms are stronger than needed they shouldn't grow.

You will not see any growth in your muscles while on a cal deficit! You will not see any growth from the accidental cal surpluses! It takes months of dedicated training and eating to produce the results you are afraid of. I understand you have an unhealthy fear of growing muscle, but it is unfounded unless there are hormonal differences we don't know about.

Thank you so much for the detailed reply, you seem to understand where I am coming from. Yes I have high testosterone levels and also high estrogen levels too, a few medical test have concluded that my testosterone level is on the high side for female. So though I put very little work on my arms they are heavy looking and show definition easily. I also easily prone to love handles once my weight stays under 142lbs. they barely noticeable but sit right on the obliques as if they are muscle. So yes I think the testosterone levels do affect my arms and torso. It also affects other things that's why I had to do the medical tests.

My body natural attempt to balance hormone levels and mother side genetics have give me ample breast, buttocks and slight hips. So still maintain feminine figure besides the broad shoulders, heavy upper arms, and love handle prone torso.

I will continue to lose overall weight, want to incorporate strength training, specifically body weight to be overall firm. But also don't want to lose too much weight that my hip to waist goes over 0.69. Knowing one cannot lose fat in only one spot, I need to train my tranverse muscles but the only exercise I know that is designed for that muscle is the stomach vacuum. I am certain there has to be more than the one. That is why I started this discussion. I willing to incorporate lats back and chest. But I just see my arms gaining more mass visually than seeing it gain in the back and chest region. I don't mind defining muscle, just don't want it on my arms or sides of my stomach. I have seen too many female trainers who are either boyish slim (yoga to Pilates) or man like bodies (Pilates instructor to strength trainer, think Jackie warner), because of lots of weight loss and defined muscle upper body, and they aren't bulk just look male from the neck down unless the kept some breast or get implants once their body hits below 15% body fat mark.