Just how bad is sugar?

Options
2»

Replies

• tumsbums
    tumsbums Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

I personally tend to eat "added sugars" in moderation because that's simply how those foods fit into my diet, and I also don't feel as well eating tons of them and skimping on other foods (not that you are doing this) and find that carbs in general work better for me when eaten close in time to protein and fat anyway. But the anti sugar fervor some have has gotten insane.

For a while I was eating NO sugar at all. It was insane, it was weirdly isolating to limit your diet that way!

• RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Oh good grief...

Also in for how people shouldn't eat fruit and veg because they have sugar...

But it's not refined....so it's OK.

(just in case for the other readers)

tumblr_mnxfhnyjwB1s6o9m9o1_500.gif
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    tumsbums wrote: »
    ...I feel my sugar intake is around 80g each day.

What does that even mean? Are you actually counting?

• _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

I personally tend to eat "added sugars" in moderation because that's simply how those foods fit into my diet, and I also don't feel as well eating tons of them and skimping on other foods (not that you are doing this) and find that carbs in general work better for me when eaten close in time to protein and fat anyway. But the anti sugar fervor some have has gotten insane.

For a while I was eating NO sugar at all. It was insane, it was weirdly isolating to limit your diet that way!

Once you introduced sugar did you start to itch?
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options
    bad to the bone.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Had a look through your diary. There's no reason for you to be concerned. I consider MFP's sugar goal to be low (because it doesn't differentiate between natural and added sugars) and you're usually below even that.
  • _Terrapin_
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »

What doe it feel like? Is it cold, lumpy, and motionless? How would it feel at 90?!?

• _Terrapin_
    Options
    Had a look through your diary. There's no reason for you to be concerned. I consider MFP's sugar goal to be low (because it doesn't differentiate between natural and added sugars) and you're usually below even that.

Yes, someone took the time and looked for you and your fine. Eat dat sugar!

• tumsbums
    tumsbums Posts: 32 Member
    Options

Sorry, I didn't word that correctly, I mean according to myfitnesspal I'm eating around 80g a day :P
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

Sorry, I didn't word that correctly, I mean according to myfitnesspal I'm eating around 80g a day :P

Your goal is 77 but your diary says you're closer to 50 most days.
  • _Terrapin_
    Options
    Is 50 the new 80? I am confused; OP clarity would be needed. If feel=according to MFP does 50=80?
  • Navtendon
    Navtendon Posts: 168
    Options
    hi! I hope this isn't a silly question, but I was wondering just how bad is sugar?

I eat a mostly balanced diet, but I feel my sugar intake is around 80g each day. I have read on some websites that it should only be around 24g! Added or natural sugars!

Is there any truth to this, or do I not need to worry about it as much as I am?

For example, in an average day the main places I usually get my sugar from are 2-3 portions of fruit, cup of milk, 1 cup of plain yogurt, veggies such as carrots or sweetcorn, a muller corner dessert.
    Sometimes there could be more sugar if dinner has a tomato like sauce etc...

Is it unhealthy to be consuming this much sugar?

Thankyou for your help! :smile:

Just how bad is sugar?

Just how bad do you want to find out?
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,996 Member
    Options
    __drmerc__ wrote: »
    In the context of calorie restriction, reasonable macronutrient balance, and no medical issues, there's no evidence that any amount will hurt you.

Wow this is seriously misleading. Sugar can kill you. According to msds sheet LD50 for cane suger is 29700 mg/kg

Yes but the poster did say "within calorie restriction and reasonable macronutrient balance' - would 29700 mg be able to fit within that? ;)

• FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options
    __drmerc__ wrote: »
    In the context of calorie restriction, reasonable macronutrient balance, and no medical issues, there's no evidence that any amount will hurt you.

Wow this is seriously misleading. Sugar can kill you. According to msds sheet LD50 for cane suger is 29700 mg/kg

Yes but the poster did say "within calorie restriction and reasonable macronutrient balance' - would 29700 mg be able to fit within that? ;)

I don't see why not. For a 70kg man that's only around 4.5 lbs of sugar or around 8000 calories. Seems legit.

• RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    How bad is sugar?

FACT: 100% of the people who eat sugar die!

sky-is-falling-2.jpg