Exercise calorie count

Options
Are most calories burned estimates for any particular exercise, the calories burned in addition to your normal resting calories burned or just the total number of calories you burned while doing that activity? Ex: if you burn 50 calories just being alive for an hour and a calculator told you burn 110 calories per hour walking, are you burning 110 on top of the 50 normal calories or is the walking really only adding 60 to whatever you would have burned just doing nothing?

Replies

• ukaryote
    ukaryote Posts: 874 Member
    Options
  • LazyFoodie
    LazyFoodie Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    So 110 cals on top of the normal 50 cals or 110 total? Thanks!
  • starznholes
    starznholes Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    110 total.
  • Meredith8684
    Meredith8684 Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    Over your normal.
  • ChrisM8971
    ChrisM8971 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    This is where a lot of people fall down on eating back exercise calories. Their HRM says they burned 250 calories in an hour so they eat 250 calories because the HRM cant be wrong.

Ignoring the fact that HRM's can be quite inaccurate themselves people ignore the 90 (guestimate) calories per hour that MFP has already assigned to you for your normal daily activity (NEAT)

So in answer to your question its only added 60 calories to what you would have burned without the walk
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I think they're totaling the activity only, but I'm really not sure.

This stuff isn't precise. They're all estimates. :)
  • threnjen
    threnjen Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    My HRM only logs calories when your heart rate is over a certain threshold, so I guess I assume that it is specifically logging the EXERCISE portion and not the portion I use just being alive.
    I still only log 80% of calories from my HRM for cardio activities.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    This is why it is smart to eat back only half of your exercise calories.