Personal training etiquette question

Options
Hi there,

I have a great personal trainer who's helping me get a good foundation of strength training knowledge. I was a complete newbie with no experience, so we have been meeting 2/week until I got more skilled, and are now stepping down to 1/week, then occasional rare "tune-ups" later if I choose.

As we step down, I will be lifting on my own following an online program that I have access to because of the personal training.

I have colleague who is a total in-shape-bad-*kitten* and is interested in training with me the other 2 times a week.

Here's my question: What training program can we use and not be jerks? I don't want to be that person that uses the trainer's program to train someone else, but I also don't want to put off a potential lifting buddy (really hard to find for women) by asking her to buy something.

The goal was always to get the knowledge to do this without completely relying on a personal trainer; I just want to make sure I make the transition in a way that doesn't burn him.

Thanks,
Kate

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,628 Member
    Options
    Use the program they gave you. A sincere personal trainer should hope that their clients learn from them and go on without them.
    My whole job should be to get rid of my clients. That means they either made goal or don't need me to instruct them anymore.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Kate_Bot
    Kate_Bot Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Use the program they gave you. A sincere personal trainer should hope that their clients learn from them and go on without them.
    My whole job should be to get rid of my clients. That means they either made goal or don't need me to instruct them anymore.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Thanks ninerbuff, that's a relief to hear from a trainer.

I'm also planning on giving him a heads-up on it so he knows what I'm up to.