Ricotta Cheese - Give Me Ideas

Options
Graelwyn75
Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
Never bought it before and have only ever had it stuffed inside fresh figs or apricots.
Anyone here have some other ideas as to how to make some good snacks/desserts using this cheese?

Replies

• DavePFJ
    DavePFJ Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I usually put some in a glass full of ice. Ricotta on the rocks is what we call it in my neck of the woods.
  • pucenavel
    pucenavel Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    stuffed pasta shells
  • pucenavel
    pucenavel Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    eggplant parmesan
  • angf0679
    angf0679 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Baked Ziti. I use it along with parmesan-reggiano for the cheese mixture. Really fantastic tasting pasta dish.
  • KeriA
    KeriA Posts: 3,270 Member
    Options
    I use it instead of cottage cheese. I make Ricotta Cheese pancakes that are high protein and low carb. I use the Vegetarian Epicure recipe for Cottage Cheese Pancakes. I like that you can get part skim. You use it in Lasagna and stuffed pasta and Italian cheese cake. I use it instead of other cheeses in things like Macaroni and cheese and Potatoes au gratin to lower fat content. I also use cauliflower to lower the amount of potatoes and pasta in both these dishes and use a custard (1% milk and egg) not white sauce base. When cooked with the rest of the dish the cauliflower doesn't taste and blends with the potato and you don't realize it isn't potato or pasta. I combine the ricotta with part skim mozzarella and some cheddar for the taste. That way I can make these comfort foods with less fat and less carbs. They are healthier and just as yummy.
  • Graelwyn75
    Options
    Thanks for the ideas so far, some really nice sounding ones.
  • Nebrie
    Nebrie Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Creamy Ricotta Pita with Spinach Salad and Almonds
    Fill 1 whole-wheat pita with 1/3 cup ricotta cheese spread (combine 15.5 ounces low-fat ricotta cheese with 3 tablespoons peanut butter and 2 tablespoons honey. Keep in covered container in the refrigerator for up to 7 days). Serve with 2 cups prewashed baby spinach salad and 1/2 thinly sliced cucumber topped with 2 tablespoons fat-free ranch dressing and 1 tablespoon sliced almonds.

I got that from Good Housekeeping. Looks yummy to me. I'm trying it this weekend.
  • Apicius
    Apicius Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    try it on fruit toast with strawberries, blueberries and cinnamon. Also works for cottage cheese.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Pancakes or cannoli cream (which I put on waffles/French toast instead of syrup). I just add a bit of sugar/stevia and vanilla extract.

And of course, Lasagna.
  • lillight93
    Options
    Bruschetta with ricotta cheese! It's yummy!!!
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    In for the ideas. I've only heard of putting it in a lasagna recipe (which I've never done. :blushing: )
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    Graelwyn75 wrote: »
    Never bought it before and have only ever had it stuffed inside fresh figs or apricots.
    Anyone here have some other ideas as to how to make some good snacks/desserts using this cheese?

Stuffed shells is always a good one. Another favorite of mine is to top homemade pizza with it with spinach, tomato, and a little basil/oregano.
  • thatsillyshana23
    thatsillyshana23 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I use it for stuffed chicken or lasagna
    For the chicken, get some thin chicken breasts, spinach, dill, ricotta, feta, garlic, and parsley. Cook the spinach and garlic then add it to a mix of everything else. Put some in the chicken, roll/fold them so they look stuffed and bake them. You can bread them if you want too. I Use that same mix for lasagna, but it requires a whole lot more.
  • blueblueheart
    Options
    The ricotta dumplings in this recipe were amazing and I've found that these spinach cakes are nice to have around for a quick bite.
  • Graelwyn75
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Apicius wrote: »
    try it on fruit toast with strawberries, blueberries and cinnamon. Also works for cottage cheese.

Now that sounds right up my alley.

• Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Chocolate chip cannoliseating-08.gif
  • alereck
    alereck Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I eat it with bread. Wheat toast, ricotta or cottage cheese, with honey or jam. Yum!
  • Graelwyn75
    Options
    OdesAngel wrote: »
    Chocolate chip cannoliseating-08.gif

I really want to try these legendary Cannolis but I have never made them and the only place that sells them here charges an obscene amount for these tiny little 2 bite things.

• HipsterWhovian
    HipsterWhovian Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I don't have a recipe, but you can use ricotta to make cheesecake!
  • trishtrish1
    trishtrish1 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    My 2 faves - mix plain ricotta with a bit of vanilla (or even ORANGE) extract, add a smidge of Splenda, stir and eat. I knew someone who added toasted almonds to that. I like it without.

Next is similar, but add some pumpkin pie filling, canned pumpkin, whatever.

Enjoy!