sodium question

Options
this is my 3rd day here and for the first 2 days my sodium intake is low? do i care? what should i be eating to get more?

Replies

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Wouldn't worry about it. When it's high, you can retain water.
  • JenniDaisy
    JenniDaisy Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    Too low and it can cause damage, but really if you're not suffering any ill effects I wouldn't worry about it. My sodium is also very low, probably because I rarely eat anything prepackaged, I'm probably eating a bit extra and not even noticing it.
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »

I don't agree with this.

You do need the amounts that the system calculates for and if you have made a significant change to your nutrition, in a way that you intend to keep up from now on, it appears you are lacking in sodium, which has crucial tasks in the body to maintain.

Everything depends on what you cook and how you like your food to taste. The easy way is to add some salt on top of a salad (in a basic olive oil + vinegar + salt + pepper + other spices according to taste) or such. You can use "pinch"-sized measuring spoons (1/8 teaspoon for instance) for this.

The OP isn't very informative which is why it is difficult to be more specific than this.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    AglaeaC wrote: »

I don't agree with this.

You do need the amounts that the system calculates for and if you have made a significant change to your nutrition, in a way that you intend to keep up from now on, it appears you are lacking in sodium, which has crucial tasks in the body to maintain.

Everything depends on what you cook and how you like your food to taste. The easy way is to add some salt on top of a salad (in a basic olive oil + vinegar + salt + pepper + other spices according to taste) or such. You can use "pinch"-sized measuring spoons (1/8 teaspoon for instance) for this.

The OP isn't very informative which is why it is difficult to be more specific than this.

Except she only has 3 days logged. One day is like 2300 and two days around 900ish. Very few people are going to continue to keep it that low, so its not anything to worry about.
  • owinoc
    owinoc Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    thank you all very much for your replies. i think for now i will add 1/2 teaspoon of sea salt to my snacks and distribute it during the day to my meals i eat. and yes i just started so i plan on adjusting as time goes on.
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    AglaeaC wrote: »

I don't agree with this.

Except she only has 3 days logged. One day is like 2300 and two days around 900ish. Very few people are going to continue to keep it that low, so its not anything to worry about.

Yes, thank you, I read that she's only on her third day. But she didn't mention whether it was a fluke or major overhaul. I took into account both options.
  • segovm
    segovm Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    The 2300 mg is not the recommended amount of sodium to eat it is the recommended MAXIMUM to eat. The American Heart Association recommends a MAXIMUM of 1500 mg of sodium a day.

The human body needs about 500 mg of sodium a day to function properly.