Do Artificial Sweeteners Hinder Weight Loss? What Are Healthy Alternatives that Satisfy?

Options

Replies

• FitForL1fe
    FitForL1fe Posts: 1,872 Member
    Options
    Counting down to informative, factual posts getting flagged...
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,084 Member
    Options
    zenner22 wrote: »
    So he had PKU? Because it's people with PKU who shouldn't consume aspartame. Doc should have asked or inquired. Some people are sensitive to it, but like allergies to certain foods, etc., it's something THEY should be aware of. For the general public, aspartame is fine.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

No, he's never been diagnosed as having PKU (which was a new term to me with your post, but a quick Google search makes me doubt he has it.) Our doctor deduced, after seeing proof of the resolution of his symptoms, that the artificial sweeteners had been toxic for him. I absolutely agree that the doctors should have asked about his diet. They asked about alcohol and drugs, but never talked about his general eating habits. That simple question would has saved us a ton of money.

I also agree that aspartame is likely fine for the general public in moderation. However, many dieters over use artificially sweetened diet foods and I've seen first hand that that can cause damage to some people.

[/quote]

He does not have PKU. That much is certain.

People with PKU are diagnosed as infants via newborn heel prick test. They have to follow a VERY strict diet for life or they will suffer irreversible brain damage.
    The diet means avoiding many many things - certainly not just diet soft drinks.
  • brittanysmith513
    brittanysmith513 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    YES! Yes, they do. I'm studying this right now in college. They can actually lead to weight gain, diabetes and metabolic diseases! They are not good at all.
    If you have any questions, just message me :)
  • maybebaby34
    maybebaby34 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I did not say once I felt attacked. Ever!
  • paperpudding
    Options
    YES! Yes, they do. I'm studying this right now in college. They can actually lead to weight gain, diabetes and metabolic diseases! They are not good at all.
    If you have any questions, just message me :)

They can actually not do those things.

If you have any actual evidence of same please do post it though.
    On the forum for everybody to read - no need to do it by private message.

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,699 Member
    Options
    Sorry ninerbuff for ruffling your feathers. We all hold a topic near and dear to our heart. Mine is not artificial sweeteners or even stevia. Mine is child nutrition. But I did mention that we should research anything we put into our body. Also that everyone would have an opinion. I did not come in here spouting knowledge as a doctor or a reseach peer conductor. Sure they use mice and find this or that, but it is a start. I am very pleased none of your people have shown issues using artifical sweetners. That awsome! But as in any food or drug, there is another side of the coin. I can only imagine as technology or science advances how many safe "thing" one reccomends we will find toxic. Or if one thought hard, detoxed from sweetners, what health issues would be gone.
    I personally have illiminated white sugar and artificial sweeteners from my family's diet and seen in a short 3 months huge changes.
    What probably would be best is not coming here and making someone feel attack because they did cut it and saved their health. Sure you have fancy red words after each share. But we all live different lives. Have different things that affect that life. One can apprectate the knowledge you can share, & utilize it. But done with a softer touch maybe.
    Like my dad always says "opinions are like a**holes, everybody has one." When we open a discussion like here, everyone will in fact have an opinion. If we dont agree we roll our eyes and move on. But what if that one eyeroll share actually does help someone in a positive way? Who knows? I sure the hell dont http://www.livestrong.com/article/536467-does-stevia-affect-insulin/#page=4
    Child nutrition is much different than that of an adult. They are still growing. Having them drinking diet soda shouldn't be the approach if they have a weight issue.
    The reality is that artificial sweeteners have been the most studied additive. There are many many studies that show that it's safe to consume IF not over dosed. But the reality also is that over consumption of anything will more than likely cause an issue.
    Correct information is good to spread. Trust that me being in the fitness industry, I was inundated with lots of broscience and fear mongering information that didn't hold up due to lack of actual evidence from science. And that's what the forums do. They help to educate people who may have "heard" or "read" information from unreliable sources. Here's a good place to start with aspartame:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1308408/why-aspartame-isnt-scary/p1

As for a softer touch, try reading my replies in a tone like I'm speaking to you in a library. Reading a post and imagining me "yelling" it or being snarky will make it sound that way when it's really not.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• maybebaby34
    maybebaby34 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    *whisper. Thank you! *still whispering....
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    I did not say once I felt attacked. Ever!
    Aspartame doesn't spike insulin. We need calories to spike insulin and fish spikes insulin....now what do we do?

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    [Aspartame doesn't spike insulin. We need calories to spike insulin and fish spikes insulin....now what do we do?

Eat cream ? where 300 calories doesn't spike insulin.
  • neanderthin
    Options
    yarwell wrote: »
    [Aspartame doesn't spike insulin. We need calories to spike insulin and fish spikes insulin....now what do we do?

Eat cream ? where 300 calories doesn't spike insulin.
    That information could make peoples brains fall out.

• philwrightfitness
    Options
    Sweeteners cause an insulinic response, so their impact on weight loss depends on the type of diet you are on, if you are on a low carb or slow carb diet where the object is to minimise insulin response then I would avoid sweetners but if you are on a high or moderate carb diet then effect is more likely to be negligible. My argument against sweetners is a) they are nutritionally useless carbs and b) some types of sweetners such as aspartame cause a range of side effects ....
  • Melbo89
    Melbo89 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I used Splenda to wean myself off sugar. Once I did that I cut it out if my daily consumption. It was preference to be honest, Splenda and sweet and low just tastes too chemichally. The only time that I use it is when I bake. Having a slice of banana bread at 114 Cal or zucchini cake for 78cals for snack makes life more enjoyable. It also helps my family accept healthy changes because it's not so extreme (I. E. No sugar, no cake, etc.).
  • neanderthin
    Options
    Sweeteners cause an insulinic response, so their impact on weight loss depends on the type of diet you are on, if you are on a low carb or slow carb diet where the object is to minimise insulin response then I would avoid sweetners but if you are on a high or moderate carb diet then effect is more likely to be negligible. My argument against sweetners is a) they are nutritionally useless carbs and b) some types of sweetners such as aspartame cause a range of side effects ....
    Sounds legit.

• fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    Options
    I just can't wait to revisit this topic in 5-10 years. I hope everyone is still around.
  • paperpudding
    Options
    fatcity66 wrote: »
    I just can't wait to revisit this topic in 5-10 years. I hope everyone is still around.

meaning??

perhaps aspartame has given me brain damage but your comment is too cryptic for me to work out what you are trying to say.

• paperpudding
    Options

a) I dont think anyone is saying they use artificial sweeteners for the nutritional benifits.

They use them because they like sweet things and they have issues with sugar (eg diabetics) or they want a no calorie alternative to sugar for weight control reasons. Or they like the taste of an artifically sweetened product like Pepsi Max.

But that doesnt make them bad - there are many things I consume for reasons other than nutritional benifit - when I eat birthday cake, for example, Im not doing it because it is nutritionally wonderful. :s
    - Doesnt mean I should be against birthday cake.
    -
    b) as stated many times in these threads, for most people, there are no side effects at all so that is a non-issue too.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options

a) I dont think anyone is saying they use artificial sweeteners for the nutritional benifits.

They use them because they like sweet things and they have issues with sugar (eg diabetics) or they want a no calorie alternative to sugar for weight control reasons. Or they like the taste of an artifically sweetened product like Pepsi Max.

But that doesnt make them bad - there are many things I consume for reasons other than nutritional benifit - when I eat birthday cake, for example, Im not doing it because it is nutritionally wonderful. :s
    - Doesnt mean I should be against birthday cake.
    -
    b) as stated many times in these threads, for most people, there are no side effects at all so that is a non-issue too.

What about the "nutritionally useless carbs" in zero calorie sweeteners, don't forget that part :wink:

• MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    fatcity66 wrote: »

It's been at least that long since people started eating the stuff