Losing weight but don't want to

Options
keith92833
keith92833 Posts: 3
edited October 2014 in Goal: Maintaining Weight
I have recently stopped junk food and gone to a healthier diet of mostly complex carbs, better fats, and a mixture of animal as well as vegetable protein. I used to have trouble keeping my weight down eating about 1800 calories a day. Now I am steadily losing weight on 2000-2100 calories a day. I am eating much more fiber than before, about double. Any ideas why I am losing weight when I don't want to even though I am eating more calories. I am watching my carbs for slight blood sugar problems. This weight loss started almost the day I switched diets even though I eat more calories now. I should add that I did lose about 30 pounds over the last 2 years to reach my goal weight of 165 pounds at 6 ft. tall.

Replies

• Joanjett88
    Joanjett88 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    How long ago did you switch your diet??? Perhaps you haven't been eating healthier long enough to really calculate a trend either way. Our body's fluctuate weight everyday, every hour.

It is also possible that, because typically junk food is high in sodium, your body is loosing the water weight that it was holding on to with all the sodium you were eating.
  • keith92833
    Options
    I started about 9 weeks ago.
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    I'm a 5'7" female, and when I had this problem of losing on maintenance when I ws trying to tone, I upped my protein totals and my over all calories from 1900 only slightly. It may be trial and error to find your sweet spot.

Is it possible you're over estimating your cals?
  • SrJoben
    SrJoben Posts: 484 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Well regardless of whatever was going on before, depending on how active you are losing weight on that much food might be expected for a man of your size and age.

Standard estimates would place you at about 2400 calories a day to maintain your weight if you get 3-5 hours of moderate exercise a week.

This could be you moving closer to 'normal' when you got healthier.

Also yeh, calorie miscounting is really easy to do. Pretty sure I do it all the time. :S

Edited to add: Also low carb diets basically make most people lose weight when they start them, which is one of the reasons they're popular. Sadly (?) it's often mostly water weight dropping.
  • keith92833
    Options
    I suppose it is possible that I estimated my calories incorrectly before. Now I feel I am estimating fairly accurately. The problems just don't stop. About 50% of my calories are carbs. I have moderate kidney problems also. So upping my protein calories is what I am doing now but can't go too high. It's the old damned if you do and damned if you don't thing. I am finding that with my moderate amount of exercise I may need to up total calories each day until I find the stabilizing point. Have to take my chances with the aftereffects on my body.

Thanks